Shakespeare--a new must

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ebonez_nahmi
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebonez-nahmi.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Re: Shakespeare--a new must

Post by Ebonez_nahmi »

Good to know Shakespeare challenges the brain because I love his works. The Taming of The Shrew is freshest in my memory. He made me fall in love with old English writing.
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

Shakespeare is one of my most adored authors of all time and I have read, so many of his plays that it’s unbeliveable. I would love to read some more and know I have an even better excuse, not that I really needed one.
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

Interesting study. All I know is that I love Shakespeare.
Spencer Mack
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by srividyag1 »

FeManJay wrote: 03 Oct 2012, 22:06 There was a study done recently by a gentleman who urges everyone to read more works by Shakespeare. His study started as a curiosity on how the brain reacts to Shakespearean prose, and ended with some fascinating and inspiring results. William Shakespeare often misuses nouns and verbs to great effect. However, this causes some interesting changes in the brain. There are two different parts of the brain that deal with noun usage and verb usage. When you are learning in elementary school nouns and verbs, you are teaching your brain. When you learn a new language, you are ingraining that new information into your brain as well.
There is something called the N400 which describes the 400 nanosecond response to something that your brain believes does not make sense. There is also something called the N600 which describes the 600 nanosecond response to something that your brain recognizes as something that does not make grammatical sense but still makes sense in its meaning. Usually your brain has the N400 response or the N400 in tandem with the N600. However, whilst conducting this study, they found that some phrases Shakespeare uses only inspire the N600 response. This is a rare phenomenon that has been proven to open new path ways in the brain and cause you to increase your ability to learn new things as well as your level of intelligence. In conclusion? Read more Shakespeare and become more smarter. :wink:
So while this wasn't really a review for a book, I do think it qualifies for this section because I urge everyone to go pick up a copy of your favorite Shakespearean work, or even a brand new one. Because there is no easier way to increase your intelligence than by reading a tragedy/history/comedy/romance.
There is nothing I can say to this comment but Wow. I have felt that reading Shakespeare used to give me the same kind of catharsis like doing a difficult Math problem or writing a complex piece of code. This is because understanding Shakespeare needed research and being present. I could not read Shakespeare like I read other books, I could not skim over, I could not rush. I had to savour each word, each metaphor, each hidden meaning and I always require an annotated version.
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
iced_sunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iced-sunshine.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by iced_sunshine »

This is actually very fascinating. It's almost like the study that claimed that listening Mozart could improve your intelligence. I say 'claimed' because there isn't enough scientific evidence to back these claims up at the moment.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

I always get afraid to read Shakespeare because English is not my first language. I will try to overcome it finally maybe. Wish me luck :techie-studyingbrown: :oops:
paulkinyuao+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by paulkinyuao+ »

In science, principles are introduced with the men and women who mothered them.
I say Shakespeare was more than a poet. In my own hermit mind, am being who redefined the alphabet meaning and sequence.

''This firm decree, ye shall believeth.''
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

This is a very interesting finding. I also like plenty of plays written by Shakespeare, and he is an amazing playwright, author, and poet.
VSuraj
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vsuraj.html
Latest Review: Justice by Scott Hughes

Post by VSuraj »

Really interesting points about the brain and reading Shakespeare. Once you get accustomed to the language, his prose becomes very enjoyable to read. I would encourage those who can to take a university course on his life and works. Learning about him, and how in his plays he made inside jokes to poke fun at things, really makes you appreciate his genius.
Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic - J.K. Rowling
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

How interesting! I never knew this but it makes complete sense and also links back to why they teach it in schools!! I didn't enjoy it in my younger years but I liked it when I finished school, and now I think maybe it's time for a read of some of his plays I've never read.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

I get why some people may not see the big deal whit his work, but I really enjoy it. I love how creates new words and phrases from his time, its kind of inspiring as a writer to see one of the best just make stuff up.
Princewill Uchenna
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princewill-uchenna.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Princewill Uchenna »

I don't have to start doing that. I'm already reading all of his works before I go to sleep. Every night. With no failure.
Onyinyechi Obi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-obi.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Onyinyechi Obi »

My favourite writer is William Shakespeare. I believe it takes time to read him. The results don't surprise me because reading Shakespeare is definitely more enjoyable.

Return to “Classic Books”