Louise as a Heroine

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
maritzaalston
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maritzaalston.html
Latest Review: A Roadmap To Career Success by John G Bendt

Louise as a Heroine

Post by maritzaalston »

Louise successfully brings the Express back to the docks and also does a tremendous job at not breaking down after Larry's accident.

From the moment that Larry asked her to take over the Warhorse, Louise stays confident and brave throughout. I believe that this was an important role and that although Louise did not have the perfect marriage she does not let it get in the way of her assignment.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Yeah, I think I agree with you that Louise strong - both mentally and emotionally. I think I would want a whole arc about her life before meeting Larry. I mean, no one that strong could have been born that way.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Louise stayed strong for so many reasons. Can you imagine how different the story would have been if she had fallen apart in the middle of the sea? Her husband still would have died. Nothing else would have been the same.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
evraealtana
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Post by evraealtana »

briellejee wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 04:18 Yeah, I think I agree with you that Louise strong - both mentally and emotionally. I think I would want a whole arc about her life before meeting Larry. I mean, no one that strong could have been born that way.
I agree. I thought she could have been the protagonist in her own right, rather than one of a number. I would have loved to have heard more about her as a person, besides just hearing about her as one half of a marriage.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I agree. I like how she made sure everything is well taken care of including the payments of the employees. She is brave and clever indeed.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
maritzaalston

Post by maritzaalston »

Yes, she does a great job of holding it together. She also maneuvers the old Warhorse and navigates both the tug and the Express back to the docks. Larry had a lot of faith in her and her ability to get the job done. In my opinion, she was a very strong character in this book.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Concerning her marriage, I am of the opinion that she was felt largely insecure to the point of doubting her husband even after various attempts to disapprove her point. She did a nice job though leading the team back to shore.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Louise is a model of courage, resilience, and leadership. Most of the women in the story are portrayed in a good light. Sheldon is a feminist! :D
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Dusamae »

I agree with you. She was one of my favorite characters, and yes I would call her a heroine. She showed a lot of strength during the time her husband and the crew were on the other boat, even though her husband was injured and dying she continued to hold it together, professionally.
unamilagra
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I noticed that even though Larry was technically considered the boss of the crew, everyone aboard still looked to her for guidance and reassurance. She had the respect of everyone, even before the incident with Larry. She's obviously been a tough cookie for a long time (hence the nickname Tugboat Annie), and her ability to keep a level head and save the rest of the crew in the wake of Larry's accident was a testament to that.
abithacker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abithacker.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by abithacker »

Louise is such an interesting character in how relatable her struggles and reactions to the events of the book are, and how strong her characteristics are. She's angry that Larry may be cheating on her, but she quickly shuts down any interest that the crew may have on her, staying loyal to a man who may be cheating on her. She steps up to the task of steering the tug boat and getting the men safely aboard the other ship, fighting to get the money to keep her business going. She also is able to continue fighting for that salvage money after Larry's accident, and doesn't allow her grief to distract her from her goal. I liked this character very much!
"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think" ~Albert Einstein
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Louise and Larry were having difficulties in their relationship. Her doubts about Larry led her to consider having a romp with Travis on the ship! Even after Larry was dead, she still had her doubts about her husband's meetings with Suzette. With everyone else, Louise was a rock. She didn't fall apart on the ship, in spite of the stress of the storm and the death of her husband. She stood up to Buckhorn and refused to sell her property to them. - Louise distrusted the man who lived under her roof, but she gained the trust of the men with whom she worked.
maritzaalston

Post by maritzaalston »

Definitely, in the middle of my reading and after Larry's accident, I was reflecting on how she was going to receive the news. And after she found out I understood how strong she was as she continued tugging the Express. She kept her mind on what was going on in spite of what had happened to her husband. I absolutely appreciated the fact that the author developed this character so well.
Ralibeau
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ralibeau.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Ralibeau »

This attested to her character. At the start of the novel when they were headed out to sea I was convinced that at some point she was going to push Larry overboard.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

maritzaalston wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 12:00 Definitely, in the middle of my reading and after Larry's accident, I was reflecting on how she was going to receive the news. And after she found out I understood how strong she was as she continued tugging the Express. She kept her mind on what was going on in spite of what had happened to her husband. I absolutely appreciated the fact that the author developed this character so well.
This is very true. Indeed, she remained strong despite the fact that the Buckhorn tugs that were much faster than their ship were following them.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”