Randall's attitude

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Michgal 32
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michgal-32.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Randall's attitude

Post by Michgal 32 »

What do you think of Randall's attitude? I find his attitude very annoying especially how he reacts when Heather and Charles go hunting. As the leader he ought to have an encouraging attitude.
shaz1994
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading: The Honorable Knight
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaz1994.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by shaz1994 »

He lacks the ability to conduct proper teamwork. Even in distress and away from their daily routine he fails to realize that his bosy attitude annoys everyone. They need to be strong together but Randall wants to feel like the only one in control.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

Randall was my least favorite for numerous reasons. One of many was his hypocrisy toward William's spirituality, claiming it fake, but gets defensive when William defends himself and questions Randall's faith. On top of that is his annoying behavior, he wants to be in charge and looked at as the leader but he doesn't know how to lead. He knows how to bark orders at people, but he lacks the compassion to connect with others. He's a man who values respect so long it's given to him.
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

The way Randall was written, I would not be surprised if he was based on a real character in Charlie Sheldon's life, lol. Even in times of crisis, where everyone needs to work together, Randall could not get over himself.
I think one of the reasons he could not believe William's story was if he did, then it would make him question his own faith, which certainly would not help him, being in that kind of situation.
Nicole_Boyd
Currently Reading: Devil in False Colors
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

I wanted to slap Randall. He got on my nerves. I think the author was trying to convey how stressful situations effect different people. Our true colors are shown when we are put in those kind of situations.
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

Nicole_Boyd wrote: 13 Apr 2019, 15:00 I wanted to slap Randall. He got on my nerves. I think the author was trying to convey how stressful situations effect different people. Our true colors are shown when we are put in those kind of situations.
I agree! Stress brings out the deeper parts of people. Also Randall deserved a good slap.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Randall is the villain in the story. I am curious why Sheldon had to show him as a Bible-reader. He obviously didn't have enough faith.
Michgal 32

Post by Michgal 32 »

Miriam Molina wrote: 13 Apr 2019, 21:32 Randall is the villain in the story. I am curious why Sheldon had to show him as a Bible-reader. He obviously didn't have enough faith.
He had very little faith indeed. As the leader of the crew, he ought to have believed in his people's abilities.
Michgal 32

Post by Michgal 32 »

Eclecticmama wrote: 13 Apr 2019, 11:23 The way Randall was written, I would not be surprised if he was based on a real character in Charlie Sheldon's life, lol. Even in times of crisis, where everyone needs to work together, Randall could not get over himself.
I think one of the reasons he could not believe William's story was if he did, then it would make him question his own faith, which certainly would not help him, being in that kind of situation.
The guy was so self centered and annoying.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I feel like there is always a "Randall" in every group. That person who can't handle pressure or accept ideas that aren't his own. It's unfortunate that he was promoted to a leadership position with his attitude. However, I feel like the author did a great job of making him a realistic character. Not really a "bad guy" as far as fiction goes, but just one of those bad guys you come across in real life.
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

The character of Randall just lacked the ability to encourage and provide support to his team. He also displayed the attitude of rejecting and insulting others' sentiments and shaming them for it. He really is an irritating character in this book.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Leaders seem to also possess different powers and from different sources and may include reputation or positional power. It seemed Randall possessed positional power which may comes as a result of one being in a certain position. It leads one to always want to assert authority.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

Randall was probably my least favorite character. He was so annoying and had a terrible attitude most of the time. I don't understand why he felt the need to tell Heather it was a waste of time to try to hunt a seal. People were starving! He yelled at people constantly and called them stupid. His negativity confused me a little because he also talked a lot about miracles happening and the fact that prayer works. You would think his faith would have kept him a little bit more positive.

As the first mate, he should have tried to be a more positive leader. Thank goodness they had William and Anne there when they were stranded. And Heather too, of course, and not just because she got a seal. She was spunky.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

He was the one in charge, according to the sailing protocol. Remember Anne saying she would be boss if Randall went with William to look for help. It follows that if he wasn't firm, not everyone would pitch in their share of work. However, he didn't need to be so bossy, or to drive them so hard. He is a micromanager.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Kaylee123 wrote: 22 Apr 2019, 15:16 Randall was probably my least favorite character. He was so annoying and had a terrible attitude most of the time. I don't understand why he felt the need to tell Heather it was a waste of time to try to hunt a seal. People were starving! He yelled at people constantly and called them stupid. His negativity confused me a little because he also talked a lot about miracles happening and the fact that prayer works. You would think his faith would have kept him a little bit more positive.

As the first mate, he should have tried to be a more positive leader. Thank goodness they had William and Anne there when they were stranded. And Heather too, of course, and not just because she got a seal. She was spunky.
:D :D :D :D I had not thought much about his faith. It seems he had lost it when he telling Heather that there was no need to hunt yet people were starving. Sometimes lessons come in ways that no one anticipated and I guess he learned his when the seal was caught.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”