Overall rating and opinion of "drift" by Charlie Sheldon

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
writingShannon
Currently Reading: The Channeler
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshanmar12.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "drift" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by writingShannon »

I also gave this book a 4 out of 4 star rating. I thought the book was very well paced, and I really enjoyed the various points of view, as I felt like it kept the story moving. I haven't read the previous novel yet, but I just added it to my kindle. I was a little frustrated at the end, as I felt like there were quite a few things that weren't resolved, and I really wanted more closure in regards to how they got William out. The "The End" came a little too soon in my mind. But, perhaps Mr. Sheldon has an additional novel planned!
Shannon
:techie-reference:
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I really liked this story. There were a lot of characters to keep track of, but, the author told the story in such a way that you didn't get confused as to who they all were. The story was captivating from the first page and kept my interest until the end. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

The book has a really exciting and thrilling plot, especially the circumstances they went through. The characters were also well-written. Overall, it's a 3 out of 4. The lack of explaining or putting in context of the sea jargons made it difficult to grasp the situations, thus less a star. It decreased my focus and readability, to be honest.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

Nerea wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 12:15 The adventure in the wilderness is breathtaking. I also liked how the author balanced the narration for the characters at sea and those in dry land. The themes are incredible as well. Though the cursing words featured in the narrative didn't appeal to me and the misconception about the Holy Spirit. I'm yet to post my review, but I rate the book a 4 out of 4 stars. The author is a good storyteller and he uses simple, clear, and easy to understand language.
I agree with you Nerea. I would also rate the book 4 out of 4 because the narrative is compelling. The author did a good job in balancing the characters and conveying a clear message to the reader
shaz1994
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading: The Honorable Knight
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaz1994.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by shaz1994 »

When I started reading this book, I thought it would be complicated but when you catch up the story gets more interesting. I really admired the spirit of the sea men, when faced with the tragedies at sea.
shaz1994

Post by shaz1994 »

When I started reading this book, I thought it would be complicated but when you catch up the story gets more interesting. I really admired the spirit of the sea men, when faced with the tragedies at sea. I rate the book 4 out of4 stars.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

I passed up the opportunity to read this as the next book to review.I almost regret the decision, great job everyone , sounds like a very good book and I have added it to bookshelves as a Want to Read!!
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed learning more about Sarah. The development of Myra and William was more focused in this book also. There did seem to be an overload of new characters in this book (Steve, Pete, Travis, Mariana, Jimmie, etc.) Occasionally, I felt like I was drowning due to my lack of knowledge of marine and sailing terms. I would give this book a 3 out of 4. It is a connector book in the series. It could probably be read as a stand alone but the story flows better if you have read Strong Heart[/].
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

kdstrack wrote: 08 Apr 2019, 10:49 I enjoyed learning more about Sarah. The development of Myra and William was more focused in this book also. There did seem to be an overload of new characters in this book (Steve, Pete, Travis, Mariana, Jimmie, etc.) Occasionally, I felt like I was drowning due to my lack of knowledge of marine and sailing terms. I would give this book a 3 out of 4. It is a connector book in the series. It could probably be read as a stand alone but the story flows better if you have read Strong Heart[/] and are familiar with the backstory.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. A wonderful read about life on and off the water and the author does a fantastic job of describing the surroundings. Adrift is a page turner for sure!
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I love adventures. I like that it was set in Alaska. I learned a lot in this book. I never knew that in the practice of answering an S.O.S., its a race of who would reach the ship first. And the lengths they would go to to do that. I mean even risking lives. It's a dangerous game. Also, I never realized the hardship of being in a modern lifeboat that's like a capsule. I admire the writing skills of the author in describing all this, it feels like you are watching a movie. I highly recommend this book to those who love adventures, especially at sea.
Choine
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choine.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Choine »

I like the amount of detail the author put into each page of this book. It's clear that Sheldon took great care in ensuring his readers could easily follow each scene, even describing small items placed in the hallways as his characters walked around. It's been a long time since I have read a book with this much detail. I'm not a boat/ship enthusiast so I had to do a lot of research on the different parts, equipment, and geography used in this book. After a while, those aspects were confusing and it was tedious to keep up with.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

I loved the book! Possibly because this was the first time I rated anything as 4 stars and because this was the type of story I was hoping to read when I first reviewing. I think what I liked most was that it didn't sugar-coat any of the gore. Realistically, the problems they faced were portrayed in a plausible manner. For instance, Larry and Louise are on the verge of bankruptcy and an unsteady marriage - those sorts of things happen when a couple goes through hard times, stress kicks in and desperation makes an ugly appearance. In their misery to try to get a win for themselves and their business, they are driven to, quite literally, sail into a storm to salvage a burning vessel.

I also adored the survival descriptions because I grew up watching and reading about pirates, so like them I developed a love and admiration for the sea with a healthy dose of fear. And as much as I love pirates I also know that in reality, most of what I read probably didn't happen or didn't happen that way. In Adrift , we are shown how the sailors react to trouble and it isn't with an iron will like some captain whose braved more dangerous waters, they are rightfully afraid for their lives but determined to live. There's no genius invention created using what's around them, they are at the oceans mercy and can only hope that someone finds them or they wash ashore. Because of this, I found the story both entertaining and enlightening.

I did write a review for this book so if anyone is interested, and I do hope you all are interested, please go read it and leave a reply. I admit I used Grammerly, but in spite of that, there are grammatical errors and miss spellings, but hopeful for those who read it, it won't bother you too much.
shaz1994

Post by shaz1994 »

When I first read the book,I had no idea what direction it would take. The author is such a great story teller using the different characters to describe the events in the story.

All the characters play different roles making the book quite captivating, I rated the book4out of4 stars. I haven't read strong heart but since Adrift was well written, it did not feel like a concern for me.
CaptainPhoton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-captainphoton.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by CaptainPhoton »

I enjoyed this book mostly because it introduced me to many new and interesting environments. I've never been on a boat larger than a rowboat, and the characters were all interesting. I particularly liked reading about the kind of challenges faced by the survivors of the ship.

The book caught my interest from the beginning and flowed extremely well since it was obviously told by a master story teller. I wasn't aware of the author's previous work, Strong Heart , but I am eagerly reading this "prequel " now.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”