Does Watching of Movies Affect Reading books

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
SingularityRising
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Does Watching of Movies Affect Reading books

Post by SingularityRising »

For me, definitely. And I like it. I love being able to picture the faces of characters and places accurately. I had a great time reading Song of Ice and Fire after watching GoT, and imagining the actors faces in the different timeline of the book.
Ayyatullah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Ayyatullah »

i prefer to watching movie and it will be easy for me when am reading
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I think reading is going downhill. I don't think this is only the movie industry at fault. People want to turn their brains off. They'd rather be on the phone or playing games. It's the whole society is sturctured now that is making books disappear.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

Yes, I think it does, particularly when the reviews or ratings of the movie come out.
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 »

I would say so, as well. I know if I read a book after seeing the film my imagination will be stunted in a way because I'll see it through the lens of the film.
Glorious78

Post by Glorious78 »

Watching movies really affects our reading because reading a book is like having a raw sketch on the canvas and you have to put your own color into it because you will create your characters in sync with your own imagination and surrounding.
Whereas when you watch a movie your see it through the director's eye, it's already a finished painting, it might not be the way author had wanted you to visualize it or at least perceive it
Briforeman95

Post by Briforeman95 »

I believe that when you watch a movie and then read the same book or vice versa, it can make a person angry. when reading a book after watching the movie, a person tends to imagine it how the movie played out and realizes all the differences and things that just weren't there in the movie.
Lenza
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Lenza »

According to my experience, watching movies makes reading books very boring. You consider reading much slower than actually watching the book as a movie hence give up on it easily
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

It depends on the book. A good book like Harry Potter is refreshing even if you saw the movie already.
paigegreenpurba
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paigegreenpurba.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by paigegreenpurba »

Absolutely. Both reading and watching movies are a means of escape or vacation from a person's life. When the pinnacle of technology only allowed for book-reading as a means of escape, most people read books. Now that technology allows for even less effort to be made in escaping reality - the watching of movies - it is only natural that most people will choose the path of least resistance to achieve this goal.
Shanza_basheer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanza-basheer.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Shanza_basheer »

'It takes a long time to finish reading a book completely while you could always watch the movie'
These are common words that are said when requested to read a book.

I agree that watching movies have affected the reading habits in people. Many a people are ready to see a movie but when asked to read a whole book, they hesitate.movies have rubbed a majority of the word reading from many young minds giving them an excuse
beccabecky
Currently Reading: Restaurant Insanity
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beccabecky.html
Latest Review: The Geeks Conquer the Universe by Keith Mackie

Post by beccabecky »

Sometimes it can make me see characters the way they look in the movies
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

I think it did, I myself was an avid reader, but then as I started watching movies, the time I had spent on reading eventually lessened.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
starzandreams
Currently Reading: Two Months and Three Days
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by starzandreams »

It definitely affected my attention span when I tried to read fault in our stars
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I think that some or perhaps most minds recall visual and auditory stimuli from viewing a movie more than jus the visual from reading. In which case, I feel that unless a book was intended to be acted out or filmed, a play or a screenplay, a reader should read the book first. If the author intended it to be read, then it should be read first, especially if the book is going to be altered quite a bit. I feel as if I'm missing the author's intention if I skip the book and just watch the movie.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?

Return to “Films and Books”