Is gun really the answer?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: Is gun really the answer?

Post by KCWolf »

I've started a poem on this very subject. I have a background in security and criminal justice, and I've learned that guns are not the only weapon you can use to defend yourself and your loved ones. For instance, if someone broke into my house I could grab a fireplace poker to defend myself.

However, there is the old expression "Never bring a knife to a gun fight." :? So I guess it really depends on the person, the situation, and what type of danger they are in.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

We have two guns in our home, a 380, which is locked and loaded, and hidden where only we can get to it. The other, a shotgun, is unloaded, and in plain view to anyone who looks into our home.
We live in a low income area and we have crime. We cannot have a dog, because my husband and son are allergic. We live about five minutes away from the nearest police station, but crime still happens. While we don't want to use them, if its the difference between a bad guy getting a bullet or me or my family, you better believe I am going to defend my family.
As long as you are a responsible with them, and know how to use them, guns are safe.
Brandy C
Currently Reading: A Discovery of Witches
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-c.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Brandy C »

Yes, guns are the answer when used properly in the right circumstances. As with anything else, it depends on the circumstances and your reaction to it. For example, if someone cuts you off in traffic and flips you the bird, you are not justified in shooting at them. Now, if someone breaks in your home and is threatening your life or the life of your loved ones, yes you would be justified in using a gun. Guns are also used for hunting and recreation. Society is quick to blame guns. Is it the cars fault when some idiot decides to mow down a crowd of people because of their belief’s? No, it's the person operating the car. The same applies to guns. When there is a mass shooting it isn't the guns fault, it is the person(s) using the gun. Yes, I do believe in better gun laws. There is no reason that a criminal or anyone on a watchlist should be issued a gun. The laws need to be researched and revised. However, I do support the 2nd amendment and our rights to bear arms.
”You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view..Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it” Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird
Felicity Granger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicity-granger.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Felicity Granger »

This is an interesting dilemma. It raises the question of the 'to kill or be killed' scenario. Personally, I don't believe in the taking of another human life, no matter the cause. I do believe that protecting oneself is of utmost importance and whosoever has the bigger, better weapon is the victor. Despite that, guns aren't the only means of doing so.
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

The gun should used without the intent to kill. When people ask if the gun is really the answer I feel like what's really being asked is if death of the other person threatening your life or the lives of those around you is something that should be condoned. There are so many other alternatives but I think most people go for the gun because it's the easiest, quickest way they can think of that ends with them coming out alive.
Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erandi-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Erandi Ekanayake »

I think the gun must be the last option, even there is a need to use it for the sake of self defence. However I personally have no love for guns and never expect to use one, even to save myself.
Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran

Post by Namaste23 »

I don’t believe guns are the answer. Of course for this to actually work, nobody would have a gun. Then people would have to figure out other ways to protect themselves.
Grachi Chloe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29

Post by Grachi Chloe »

In as much as a gun can be used for self defense in protecting one's life and family , it is never the answer
Stephanie Keener
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swisskeener.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo! & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Stephanie Keener »

I do not believe that a gun is the only answer. However, if you are in a situation where the bad guy has a gun, you will not be able to protect yourself or your loved ones against that - unless you have a gun as well. Even if stricter gun laws are put into place, the bad guys will always find a way to get the guns and ammunition that they need. There will always be a black market for things of that nature. The best bet is to have a gun but to also be trained in how to properly handle and use that gun.
J Edwards
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by J Edwards »

From the perspective of this book, and the actions of majority of final notice recipients, I think guns were more of a problem than a solution. From a realistic point of view and my personal opinion, I also don't think we can keep crime levels by owning guns all of us. People are fundamentally different and quite a number will always see this as an opportunity to get ahead of others by using their guns to steal or even murder.
:character-bart:
“We don’t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.”

French novelist Marcel Proust.
Alexandur Gicov
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandur-gicov.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Alexandur Gicov »

As unpleasant as it sounds, yes weapons often turn out to be the answer and the solution. But only when your life and the lives of your loved ones are endangered. If the situation is life or death.
J Edwards
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by J Edwards »

would prefer strengthened law enforcement agencies do the work of protecting the citizenry than arming everybody. My answer is NO, guns are not and will never be the answer.
:character-bart:
“We don’t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.”

French novelist Marcel Proust.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t think a gun is any sort of protection unless you are willing to use it, and I am not. As you can see, ready access to guns makes life much more dangerous, not safer. I’ not prepared to say what would be best, though.
Chimezie Agbata
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimezie-agbata.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Chimezie Agbata »

The question should be are guns the only alternative we have for protection? If they are not then we should be promoting other ways to protect ourselves from intruders. I say this because i am not happy with the number of guns in the hands of wrong people. All my life, i have not touched a gun and i have not plan to use any.
Favour Ugwu Chidinma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favyugwu.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Favour Ugwu Chidinma »

Gun could be and could not. The advantage and disadvantage of owing or having a gun at house is inevitable.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”