Who's Your Favorite Author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
SpookyBoy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Who's Your Favorite Author?

Post by SpookyBoy »

My favorite author would have to be Angie Thomas. She sheds light on the issues in the world being a black person and have people judge you before they know you.
Salma M
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-m.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Salma M »

I love and appreciate a lot of authors but my top two all time favourite authors are Stephen King and Agatha Christie.

Stephen King satisfies my quench for horror and supernatural fiction and there is not one single book of his or a movie based on his novel that i have not found it to be a work of art.

Agatha Christie always manages to keep me on the edge of my seat whenever I am reading one of her suspense books.
Salma M
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-m.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Salma M »

I love and appreciate a lot of authors but my top two all time favourite authors are Stephen King and Agatha Christie.

Stephen King satisfies my quench for horror and supernatural fiction and there is not one single book of his or a movie based on his novel that i have not found it to be a work of art.

Agatha Christie always manages to keep me on the edge of my seat whenever I am reading one of her suspense books.
MandyP
Favorite Book: Blood of Dreams
Currently Reading: Social Creature
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandyp.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by MandyP »

Stephen King- love his twisted imagination, but also Karin Slaughter. She is great at making me feel like i'm there in the story watching the action unfold!
This too shall pass ~Edward Fitzgerald :roll: :doh:
Arabella15

Post by Arabella15 »

Personally my favorite author would be Brandon Mull. Through his work he is able to create a thorough and detailed novel. His works are not only enjoyable for children,but they're also suitable for adults who just want to get absorbed into a world of fantasy. His novel Fablehaven has won multiple awards and is an expansive world with intricate details and twists the reader does not see coming. You are able to re-read his novels again and again and still find new details. Therefore Brandon Mull is my favorite author.
Galesphere
Currently Reading: the moonstone
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-galesphere.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Galesphere »

I'm a lover of Victorian literature. I think my favorite novelist is Thomas Hardy. I love his pessimistic nature, his sad heroines, and his view of religion and God. I sense the struggle of his beliefs in his novels, especially as his settings, being rustic and old-fashioned, seemed choked by the rise of industrialism. He was also quite brave in his time to depict women with tragic pasts or "sins."

But I also can't help but mention John Milton. Paradise Lost is a masterpiece, and I'll never get bored of reading his essays. Many people compare him to Shakespeare, disparagingly, but I believe Milton is just as noteworthy as Shakespeare. The only thing Shakespeare does a little better is write more prettily.
Choine
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choine.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Choine »

It might seem odd for a 24-year-old but I love Rick Riordan. He spends so much time on detail for his characters and plot lines that it's impossible for me not to fall in love with his books. I love how he always balances humor and action in each scene as well as always have a character for comic relief.
Han26+
Currently Reading: The DC Comics Encyclopedia
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-han26.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Han26+ »

My favourite authors are:

Neil Gaiman - not only as an author but also as an essayist and as a person. Also his sense of humour is just brilliant.

Philip Pullman - because His Dark Materials moved me to my bones and made me think about Big Things

Susan Cooper - I love her use of myth and Celtic / Welsh words and themes, and I think Will and Bran are my favourite characters

David Mitchell - his novels are like cross-crossing, overlapping novellas and his use of characterisation and detail is something I am very jealous of.

And there are many, many more: Ray Bradbury, Dylan Thomas, Jack Kerouac, James Joyce, Ursula K. LeGuin, Holly Black, Stephen King, Ronald Dahl, Karen McCombie, Terry Pratchett (he was a legend.)
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

There are an ample of creative authors but my pick would be Stephen King and James Patterson.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

Ngugi wa Thiong'o, a veteran Kenyan author.
Dream-catcher

Post by Dream-catcher »

There are so many amazing authors out there, however I would have to say I adore the work of James Patterson not just the twisted stories he is able to tell but the way he manages to make you invested in the lives of his characters.
J.k Rowling never fails at puting a smile on my face even when I am reading Harry potter for the millionth time.
Plus I can't forget to mention the incredible George R.R. Martin and the world he has created in game of thrones. Such a thrilling twisted tale full of adventure, wonder and magical creatures that isn't aimed at children for once.
Maggie_brown_0013
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-brown-0013.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Maggie_brown_0013 »

Scott wrote: 01 Nov 2006, 18:39 Who's your favorite author? Why?

My favorite author is Henry David Thereau. I love Civil Disobedience. My favorite quotes are as follows:
I heartily accept the motto, "That government is best which governs least"; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically. Carried out, it finally amounts to this, which also I believe--"That government is best which governs not at all"; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which the will have.
Under a government which imprisons unjustly, the true place for a just man is also a prison.
My favorite author is AnnaLisa Grant. Her YA Contemporary novels one of a kind, and her characters work their way into your heart unlike any other characters. I would highly reccommend any of her books.
jenjandreau

Post by jenjandreau »

Maybe it is because I am from Maine - but I am a huge Stephen King Fan - my new favorite - The Stand!
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

I don't know about favourite, but Marisa de los Santos is very underrated.
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

One of my favourite authors is Teilhard de Chardin. He has written The Phenomenon of Man and other books relating science and religion.

Return to “Discuss Authors”