WWII FICTION STORY

Use this forum to discuss the February 2019 Book of the month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
Dawud Adaviruku
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dawud-adaviruku.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Re: WWII FICTION STORY

Post by Dawud Adaviruku »

timd wrote: 13 Feb 2019, 11:51 I think this book addresses aspects and particularly people who aided in the Great War who have not previously been mentioned.
I think I quite agree with you on this one. The book was an eye opener to me as regards some of the things that happened during the great world war of 1949-1950's.
nbel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nbel.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by nbel »

I agree that the author did a great job when plotting the book. The way Greg Kater captured the major obstacles of the war made the book very exciting for me. I think that the book reflects our present a little bit. Everything changed a lot throughout time, but past history can be linked to our present day.
chiefsimplex
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by chiefsimplex »

while the story itself prove to be based on WW2 events, it is the morale that i am more interested in - that usually in efforts for collective good there are always those individuals whose priceless sacrifices eludes the public.
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa
onemorechap
Currently Reading: House of Eire
Bookshelf Size: 310
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onemorechap.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B014GCG150

Post by onemorechap »

War nowadays seems more accepted? More far from us? I don't know how to put it, but I feel stories from back then seem more familiar, while now humanity has turned so unhuman that we can't get how awful current wars are...
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

sonya01 wrote: 15 Feb 2019, 17:33 War is so different nowadays, to what it used to be. The mechanism of warfare has become far more high-tech and impersonal. It has also come closer, brought into our homes and lives through advanced communications, social media and the internet. I think the author skillfully captured the war setting of that day, but it is a far cry from what we are exposed to in the present.
I totally agree with you on the issue.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I liked learning about the different spies, and how they had to side step one another to try and gather information. I guess when I hear of war, I am only thinking of the civilians trying to survive, so it was interesting to view this story from a spy perspective. And really, as much as a war is won on land, it is also a victory to outsmart the enemy behind the scenes.
Everything happens for a reason...
ayomie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomie.html
Latest Review: Cancer on a Harley or is it? Lyme Disease by Lisa Heather Torbert

Post by ayomie »

It is true that times have changed. We're no longer where we used to be 100 years ago. So I believe this book cannot perfectly reflect present realities.
flaming_quills
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flaming-quills.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Post by flaming_quills »

I think the story partly reflects today's day and age mostly because war and it's rarely drastically different. But also, a significant portion of the story focuses on what happens in the 1950s and in that sense it may not be applicable to people of this century.
Galesphere
Currently Reading: the moonstone
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-galesphere.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Galesphere »

nooregano wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 00:43 Any lesson from the past is also applicable today. Themes of the human condition recur again and again, although they take different forms.
I agree that there are similar themes between present-day war and past wars, but I think Kater still has distinct details of his story's war that differ from what soldiers/citizens of war experience in this day and age.
"The main object of religion is not to get a man into heaven, but to get heaven into him."
-Thomas Hardy
Raja28
Currently Reading: R.I.P
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raja28.html
Latest Review: The Excoms by Brett Battles

Post by Raja28 »

War is war. Only the means of war-making change. Hence, any war related novel may feel like reflecting any time. However, the events of this novel are specific to WW-II.
shaz1994
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading: The Honorable Knight
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaz1994.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by shaz1994 »

It does not reflect the society today because back then there wasn't as much development in the world as it is now and I think people were more thoughtful of one another as compared to the current generation.
Brandy C
Currently Reading: A Discovery of Witches
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-c.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Brandy C »

In ways, it does reflect our present day. War always has conflict and violence, that hasn't changed. The techniques and strategies have changed. During times of war, it is still a struggle for the soldiers and people left behind. We still have to go through hardships and turmoil. Yes this book does reflect that era but it can also reflect parts of our present day.
”You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view..Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it” Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

We could imagine that in those day of world war and today there may be difference in concentration of events of blood sheds or holocaust, which give entirely different picture. The book does reflect present day in some parts of world like Iraq and Syria.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

The methods may be different, but the reasons for war have not changed since the beginning of time.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

It doesn't appear to reflect on present day. But, the same cycle take place in war whether it happened today, yesterday, 100 years ago, or it'll happen in 1000 years in the future.

Return to “Discuss "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater”