Do you think Tris made the right faction choice?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
sush_destiny
2019 Reading Goal: 400
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Re: Do you think Tris made the right faction choice?

Post by sush_destiny » 14 Mar 2019, 10:39

Yes she did. Instead of settling for the comfortable and familiar, she chose something she liked. That takes a lot of strength.

dorebri2020
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 » 09 Jul 2019, 09:43

I believe it was the right choice and it advanced her character well. Seeing her in Abnegation would have nullified her character and made her into someone simple, but she would have been suffering as well. Honestly, I would love to see Tris in Erudite though. She is clearly intelligent, and it would have been interesting to see the story from behind enemy lines.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D

Mallory Whitaker
2017 Reading Goal: 35
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 74
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Sally Gets a Curly Horse by Ron Gale

Post by Mallory Whitaker » 08 Aug 2019, 16:27

I think that being a Dauntless made her more callous. While it made her physically and mentally stronger, I think that she adopted a narrow perspective. Perhaps it was just bringing out those things in her, but as she tested positive for other factions, I think they could have brought out more admirable traits. Erudite would have made her smarter, although it would have also made her dehumanize others for the sake of knowledge. I think Abnegation would have been the best choice for her and would have brought out her best self.

rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Long About Ten Years by Paul O. Snawder, Vera Hensley, Carol Wooten

Post by rumik » 28 Aug 2019, 14:15

I think she made a pretty good decision going into Dauntless. If she chose Abnegation she'd just be following in her family's footsteps. By choosing Dauntless, she became her own independent person.

Browneh
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 34
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browneh.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Browneh » 15 Sep 2019, 21:13

She needed a drastic change from what she previously knew. I feel that it would be easiest to hide in Dauntless as a divergent. Although I do find it hard to believe that people can be categorized so simply.

Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles » 28 Sep 2019, 18:20

I think Tris would have been stifled in any other faction. She felt so hard fitting in at Abnegation that Amity was definitely out of the question and maybe even Candor. I think her only real choices were Erudite and Dauntless, though she wouldn't have chosen the former because of her father's obvious aversion to them. From the start you could see that she longed to be a part of Dauntless and I felt it opened her eyes more than any other faction would or could.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”