What Genre Do You Think Will Be Most Popular this 2019?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
russel_ruth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russel-ruth.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

What Genre Do You Think Will Be Most Popular this 2019?

Post by russel_ruth »

Of course we always have romance as one of the most popular genre, and there are a lot of sub-genres under it like secret pregnancy, love triangles and such... what do you think would be popular this 2019? Or would another genre be more sought after?
ChaosofaMadHatter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chaosofamadhatter.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by ChaosofaMadHatter »

I have a feeling that post apocalyptic will see another surge, and likely a surge in realistic fantasy. Post apocalyptic due to the extremist notions that are becoming more pervasive in every day life, especially on the political level, and the realistic fantasy because as things get drearier in the real world, more people will look for books that tweak reality just enough to make it seem hopeful.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

Romance is always going to be popular, I agree with you there! I think graphic novels and comic books will be another one due to the increased interest in Marvel and DC movies. There's also a surge in popularity with fantasy based TV shows, and I can see that genre becoming more popular.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
russel_ruth
Currently Reading:

Post by russel_ruth »

ChaosofaMadHatter wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 19:29 I have a feeling that post apocalyptic will see another surge, and likely a surge in realistic fantasy. Post apocalyptic due to the extremist notions that are becoming more pervasive in every day life, especially on the political level, and the realistic fantasy because as things get drearier in the real world, more people will look for books that tweak reality just enough to make it seem hopeful.
Ahh, that seems right to me, as someone who reads for escape. Thank you very much for your notion!
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

ChaosofaMadHatter wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 19:29 I have a feeling that post apocalyptic will see another surge, and likely a surge in realistic fantasy. Post apocalyptic due to the extremist notions that are becoming more pervasive in every day life, especially on the political level, and the realistic fantasy because as things get drearier in the real world, more people will look for books that tweak reality just enough to make it seem hopeful.
I agree! I do think that the larger dystopian or bleak science fiction might push through. We also tend to see upticks in those books being written and sold as major elections (i.e. presidential elections) get closer.
russel_ruth
Currently Reading:

Post by russel_ruth »

Thank you for all of the feedback ^_^ It is well appreciated~
MarieHarrison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by MarieHarrison »

I also think that post-apocalyptic fiction is going to remain popular for 2019. With all the political upheaval and drama, I don't think many people feel positive about the future and that's seeping into the author's writing. Outside of fiction, reference books are also rising in popularity. I'm so thrilled that it's becoming cool to know stuff :lol:
Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 »

As nearly everyone has already mentioned: dystopian novels. But I also have a feeling that YA novels that deal with teens standing up for their beliefs/rights/what is right and changing the world are becoming increasingly popular. Say like The Hate You Give by ‎Angie Thomas. :wink:
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eastandalchemy »

Dystopian novels, witch lit, and novels that deal with political upheaval are all topics that seem to be more visible in society and literature today. I imagine we will see more novels tackling these subjects pop up in 2019 and beyond.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

eastandalchemy wrote: 12 Jun 2019, 04:58 Dystopian novels, witch lit, and novels that deal with political upheaval are all topics that seem to be more visible in society and literature today. I imagine we will see more novels tackling these subjects pop up in 2019 and beyond.
Adding cyberpunk specifically to these and resistance based sci-fi.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by clint_csperry-org »

I am kinda partial to Fantasy, but in reality it is a small market share. I think that mainstream or mystery will be the strongest. But Hey, what do I know?
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: Miracles Love a Believer by Stacy Manning Casaluci

Post by Aditi Sapate »

I think that non-fiction and self-help books will be very popular. People will look up more to reading success stories and incorporating successful habits in their lives.
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

I think non fiction books are doing great.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

I'm not sure about non-fiction book. But among fictions, I think teenage adventure stories are getting more and more popular these days. Especially those where the teenage protagonist leads an army to fight bad guys- that seems to be a recent trope.
Readeatrepeat1
Currently Reading: What the Dog Saw
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readeatrepeat1.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Readeatrepeat1 »

If I had answered this question at the beginning of the year I would have said literary fiction, but in looking at the best seller charts so far in 2019 it would appear that non-fiction is doing really well (especially self-improvement and memoir).

Return to “Writing Discussion”