Recommendations of Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
tahoorahashmi
Currently Reading: Tales of Genji
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tahoorahashmi.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Recommendations of Classic Books

Post by tahoorahashmi »

I recently read Romeo and Juliet because its one of the most famous work by Shakespeare and is applauded so much. While reading I fell in love with the poetry in it so to no surprise this one didn't disappoint when it comes to the narrative and dialogues. won't lie, It took me some time to connect with the characters. For which the reason might be the Old English used so some kind of language barrier made it slightly weird specially when a character dies within 2 minutes of the book😶
🔸
I always find people complaining that Juliet was just 14 and Romeo around 18 but then it hit me, back in the days the kids did mature faster. I thought that was reasonable until I read it and realized these 2 kids were just normal 2 kids with enraged teenage hormones :roll2: . The book legit introduces Romeo being depressed because this girl Rosaline he had a crush on had sworn off boys by taking a vow of chastity and next thing you know is he is swooning over Juliet.
🔸
It was more of a fantasy type romance which became acceptable to me after reading half of the book.
2.8/5
Stephany_26
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Stephany_26 »

Kay Fair wrote: 18 Sep 2009, 10:53 Jane Austen said of Emma, "I am going to take a character no one but myself will much like." Seriously?! Is it possible that I am all alone in my affection for dearest Emma? Or can it be I would find many fellow lovers of the most haughty and spoilt of the Jane Austen heroines; as I live not in Jane's world of England circa 1816, but rather in a society that fully worships the rich and naughty antics of Gossip Girls and Real Housewives of... wherever? Yeah, I'm guessing Emma would be a pretty popular chick these days.

My affection for Emma as a novel lies in its tightly laced plot and signature Austen imagery. My adoration of Emma, the character, lies in my lingering childhood desire to somehow make the most popular girl in school like me. (Despite the fact that such a desire is generally rooted in the secret wish that the popular girl will tumble from atop the throne, leaving a vacancy for none other than yours truly.)

It may be cheesy girl stuff, but Emma will always be one of my favorite characters of classic literature. (Complete review available at whatrefuge.blogspot)
You're not alone, I really love Emma, Jane Austen give us an unforgettable character, I think Emma is different from other girls at that time, she may be consider as a spoiled and rich girl but I think she was more than that, she was very clever and funny.
Midn1ght

Post by Midn1ght »

The Call of the Wild. Great story about a dog as he is moved from his comfortable home to the cold wilderness.
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by tanner87cbs »

So I really like a lot of the classic plays, as in 'Les Miserable', 'Phantom of the Opera'. I have scene these on Broadway and watched multiple versions of film. Is there any value I am missing by not reading the books? Or is it basically the screen play word for word.
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and The Great Gatsby are my favorite despite being drastically different.
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

Juliar252 wrote: 29 Sep 2018, 07:37 I love Crime and Punishment and The Underground Man by Fyodor Dostoevsky, Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, The Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison, 1984 by George Orwell, and Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.
I loved 1984 but had a harder time getting interested in Frankenstein.
Nicole_Boyd
Currently Reading: Devil in False Colors
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

I agree, everything that Jane Austen wrote is fantastic, “Emma” is one of my favorites, along with “Pride and Prejudice”. “Mansfield Park” was also very good.

I’ve necer finished “A Tale of Two Cities” but it is on my list to read.
Deborah Minter

Post by Deborah Minter »

Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux is a fantastic read. For mystery and suspense lovers. The plot includes the magic of the Opera Garnier and the tragedy of a masked genius, with a touch of romance. A must readers of the classics.
Bazilah1898

Post by Bazilah1898 »

I like to read classic books especially adventure theme
I recommend Tom saywer and Huckberry Finn story
Cause it is so good even I fond of it storyline as well fun to read
Such as illustrations :D
cadelfavreau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cadelfavreau.html
Latest Review: The Sojourners by T. L. Hughes

Post by cadelfavreau »

Crime and Punishment. Jane Eyre. Dead Souls. War and Peace. The Idiot. Anything by Camus or Kafka.
Eberglund88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eberglund88.html
Latest Review: Confessions of a Manaholic by P. Pierre

Post by Eberglund88 »

The Secret Circle by L.J. Smith is a great classic! It is full of suspense and really captures the readers attention right from the first page. L.J. Smith has a particular tone about his writing that keeps you entertained and involved.
flaming_quills
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flaming-quills.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Post by flaming_quills »

The Sherlock Holmes books are an absolute must read. There are enjoyable and witty without being too overwhelming and you'll definitely be in for a ride.
I specifically recommend the Hound of the Baskervilles and A Study in Scarlet.
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle

Post by srividyag1 »

My recommendations in the Classics genre would be Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte and all of Jane Austen and Thomas Hardy. I love Thomas Hardy's writing. The way he depicts emotions in his scenes is not seen in many male writers of that era. I also enjoy Somerset Maugham's books. It's a quirk of mine, but I love certain wild western books written by Zane Grey, quite different from my normal choice.
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
srividyag1

Post by srividyag1 »

Midn1ght wrote: 17 Mar 2019, 12:48 The Call of the Wild. Great story about a dog as he is moved from his comfortable home to the cold wilderness.
I read the abridged version of this when I was a kid. I remember being transported to a different world. I was introduced to this book along with Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn and hence somehow, I always think of all those books together... It invokes nostalgia in me:)
- Srividya Giri
srividyag1

Post by srividyag1 »

jwalls wrote: 07 Nov 2018, 17:48 I enjoy reading books that later are turned into movie features. 'To Kill a Mockingbird' is a well preserved classic that I find is more entertaining and filled with details that outshine the infamous black and white classic film.
To kill a mockingbird is amazing in many ways... Even though it deals with a serious topic, it never assumes a dark storyline. The book makes us think for many days after reading it. It is one of the best books ever written.
- Srividya Giri

Return to “Classic Books”