Cancer Survivors

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: Cancer Survivors

Post by KCWolf »

I am open to the idea of alternative therapies for cancer. As far as how cancer survivors feel about this book, I think that would depend on the individual. Some people are leery of alternative treatments and reluctant to trust them; others are open to trying whatever would benefit.

I have an aunt that survived breast cancer, and she is pretty much willing to explore any health care technique to keep her healthy and alive.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

cvetelina_yovcheva87 wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 02:01 I have lost two family members in the war with cancer. The topic is extremely important to me but, at the same time, it is quite sad.
I am so sorry for your loss. I have lost too many friends and family members to the disease. I hope and pray that a cure can be found someday.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
yoda4ever
Favorite Book: Fervent
Currently Reading: Belgravia
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoda4ever.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by yoda4ever »

My dad died of non hodgkins lymphoma 18 years ago. He tried traditional chemotherapy but it was too late. I think the patient and family and doctor should discuss alternative as well as traditional methods pros and cons before they make a decision.
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Sicily Joy »

Jdalba2018 wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 00:42 My father died as a result of badly treated cancer at the age of 68, in fact, I think he would be celebrating his 82nd birthday this wednesday if only he wouldn't have gone through quimotherapy and all the things they did to him.
I would definitely liked to have more information on alternative methods for treating cancer back then.
I know the question was for survivors but couldn't help expressing my point of view.

BRGDS
Sorry for your loss. I think your comment highlights the value of having access to various information and treatment options.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

NL Hartje wrote: 11 Feb 2019, 17:02 My husband suffered a bout of cancer in the past six months, and it has truly turned our lives upside down. I have suggested this book to him but he is resistant. Do any of you have suggestions of things I can say that might help him decide to pick it up?
Having cancer is such a profound and personal experience. It is challenging to take in all of the information that comes at you and all of the decisions you need to make. I think suggesting some research on the full scope of cancer treatments (including non-traditional methods) is loving and supportive, but the decisions are tough and your husband may need to walk his own path through it. I'm sorry you are having to go through this. I wish you the best.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 20:21 I am curious as to how cancer survivors react to this book. Do you feel like you are learning good information for health maintenance? Do you feel slighted because you would have liked to have known this information earlier? Do you feel attacked for sticking with mainstream treatments?
I am not a cancer patient or survivor, but I know someone fighting cancer. Any cancer patient who has tried several medical treatment would definitely be elated to try Sylvie's treatment considering the testimonies of others. I see no reason why a cancer survivor would feel attacked by this book.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

I would also be interested in hearing the opinions of a cancer survivor on the book!
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

Bavithra M wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 00:47 Cancer survivors will really feel elated after reading this book. They will find this book very informative.
I am not a cancer survivor and none of my family members is. I believe that this is a sensitive book for cancer survivors, however, I agree that the information they gather from this book will alert them to what they did or didn't consider in the past and future recommendations.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

Although I am not a direct survivor of cancer, I can speak on behalf of my deceased mother. I wish we would have been able to read this book when she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
hala-elnagy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hala-elnagy.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by hala-elnagy »

I recommend reading this book to the cancer survivors. It is full of good information for them and they will enjoy reading it.
[vet tech] reviewer
Favorite Book: Strange the Dreamer
Currently Reading: Death of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by [vet tech] reviewer »

Reading the review and comments here, I will certainly be picking this book up and reading. My boyfriend has just been diagnosed with skin cancer and both of us are in a state of shock and confusion about the future. Hopefully this book will be of interest and use to us.
Tester013
Currently Reading: Shot Down
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tester013.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Tester013 »

I'm certainly excited by the prospect of alternatives for cancer treatment out there, since I've had a family member who is unable to under chemo due to severe adverse reactions to being treated. Nonetheless, as said family member sadly didn't make it, I'm interest to hear from those who're more fortunate...
Bookreviewer19_ke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewer19-ke.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Bookreviewer19_ke »

For me i felt i was learning new information that i did not know. As they say knowledge is power.
zjacks
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading: The Immigrant's Lament
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zjacks.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by zjacks »

I feel like this book, as well as other pseudo-science books, are simply not effective.
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

I am not a cancer survivor, my husband is 7 years clean with colon cancer, but I think that if you are a survivor, this book may be one to read.

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”