Crowd pleaser sci-fi/fantasy/dystopian books for a book club?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Crowd pleaser sci-fi/fantasy/dystopian books for a book club?

Post by unamilagra »

Hi there, I am looking for a couple suggestions for reading with my book club (all moms in 30s and 40s) to get us out of our historical and contemporary fiction rut. In the past we have read and really enjoyed Ready Player One by Ernest Cline and Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel. We also read The Philosopher's Flight by Tom Miller, with half of us loving it and half of us hating it. I would prefer standalone books as opposed to series, with a cap of around 400 pages or so (that's all a few of the women in my group can commit to in one month).

Thank you!
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Give Emmi Itaranta a look.

Her Memory of Water and The Weaver are both dystopians. The former is eco-dystopian and sort of reminds me of the feeling of Station Eleven, and the latter is also eco-dystopian but with a bit more fantasy.

They are a bit YA though...

I have to sing the praises of Katherine Arden's Winternight Trilogy (only exception to the series rule, promise). It's just so good, and is only three books and they're all out.

I was on the fence on recommending The Chess Garden by Brookes Hansen because I wasn't sure about the page count...
Turns out it's just over 400, so if that is doable, I highly recommend.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton

Post by unamilagra »

Thank you! I will check these out. I realized after posting this that I have a lot of requirements, so I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
nataliemastin1
Currently Reading: Stamped from the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 513
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nataliemastin1.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by nataliemastin1 »

I highly recommend Severance by Ling Ma, especially if your group enjoys contemporary fiction. It's an apocalyptic story about a young woman living in a world in which everyone is succumbing to a zombie-like sickness. It's about the choices she makes to survive and the people she meets along the way. It's a real page-turner and also quick at about 300 pages.
Lee-Ann20
Currently Reading: Lovely War
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lee-ann20.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Lee-Ann20 »

The power by Naomi Alderman. Check out this description from my library database

When a new force takes hold of the world, people from different areas of life are forced to cross paths in an alternate reality that gives women and teenage girls immense physical power that can cause pain and death.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”