Should this sentence use "seem" or "seems"?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

joujoub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joujoub.html
Latest Review: The Ordinary Doll by Mario Kiefer

Should this sentence use "seem" or "seems"?

Post by joujoub »

Is the following sentence grammatically correct as shown or should "seems" instead by "seem"?

Among the most difficult for me were the unremorseful (presumed) pedophile and the most innocent of bystanders who seems to pay the ultimate price for the transgressions of another (to say more would reveal too much).

The sentence is meant to communicate that there is pedophile who feels no remorse and a bystander that pays the price for someone else's sins. Is "seems" correct, given that "the most innocent of bystanders" is singular?
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

joujoub wrote: 10 Feb 2019, 23:57 Is the following sentence grammatically correct as shown or should "seems" instead by "seem"?

Among the most difficult for me were the unremorseful (presumed) pedophile and the most innocent of bystanders who seems to pay the ultimate price for the transgressions of another (to say more would reveal too much).

The sentence is meant to communicate that there is pedophile who feels no remorse and a bystander that pays the price for someone else's sins. Is "seems" correct, given that "the most innocent of bystanders" is singular?
I think it depends on the context.

The phrase "the most innocent of bystanders" alone doesn't give an indication of the actual number of most innocent bystanders. It could be only one, but there could also be two or more bystanders who have the same extremely high level of innocence per the example below:

most innocent of bystanders.JPG
most innocent of bystanders.JPG (31.97 KiB) Viewed 3190 times

How many most innocent bystanders are there?

The sentence could be correct if the word "seems" pertains to only one most innocent bystander who is paying the price for that other person's sins.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

Since only one thing can be considered "most" when used correctly, this phrase is singular. Therefore, seems is correct in this case.
Espie

Post by Espie »

[/quote]
Zora C Penter wrote: 11 Feb 2019, 16:17 Since only one thing can be considered "most" when used correctly, this phrase is singular. Therefore, seems is correct in this case.
The superlative adjective phrase "most innocent" could be used to refer to both singular and plural nouns. (However, I am curious to know if there are sources that state differently.) The following are my references:

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/comparat ... djectives/:
Note the example "The most garrulous squirrels" that is cited.

https://www.insegnanti-inglese.com/gram ... super.html:
A superlative adjective usually explains that the noun it refers to is unique. However, it can also refer to plural items or people: the best players, the richest people, the first, the worst, the last, etc.
https://www.englishforums.com/English/S ... v/post.htm:
Yes, you can use plural nouns with superlatives. In this case, you would be ranking a group of people/things rather than individual things, or you might be referring to a person or thing that is part of the top (or bottom) category of something.
Basketball players are among the tallest men in the world.
Now, let's go back to the following sentence we are discussing:
joujoub wrote: 10 Feb 2019, 23:57 Among the most difficult for me were the unremorseful (presumed) pedophile and the most innocent of bystanders who seems to pay the ultimate price for the transgressions of another (to say more would reveal too much).
Both of the following extracts of the sentence may be correct depending on the context based on references I've found so far:
A. Among the most difficult for me was the most innocent of bystanders who seems to pay the ultimate price for the transgressions of another (to say more would reveal too much).
B. Among the most difficult for me were the most innocent of bystanders who seem to pay the ultimate price for the transgressions of another (to say more would reveal too much).

If there is only one "most innocent of bystanders," then using "seems" in A is correct.
If there are two or more "most innocent of bystanders," then "seem" in B is more appropriate.

The context that pertains to the review (i.e. if it's just Lucy, another character in the book or there are other bystanders with the same superlative level of innocence) needs to be known. @joujoub will be able to point that out as the reader and reviewer of the book. An editor needs to know, especially if this thread pertains to a recheck request on the review's scorecard. However, to avoid spoilers, the answer may not be divulged to the rest of us now.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by _Delly_01 »

joujoub wrote: 10 Feb 2019, 23:57 Is the following sentence grammatically correct as shown or should "seems" instead by "seem"?

The correct word would actually be 'seemed', because you have written in past tense. 'Seems' is present tense and used with singular pronouns.
Espie

Post by Espie »

_Delly_01 wrote: 11 Feb 2019, 23:58 The correct word would actually be 'seemed', because you have written in past tense. 'Seems' is present tense and used with singular pronouns.
:text-yeahthat:

Indeed. Despite this thread's topic :topic: , I agree. The word could work with singular nouns and the like, too. :tiphat:
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

Grammar rules aside, "seem" sounds better to the ear. In complicated situations such as this, perhaps it's a good idea to restructure the entire sentence to avoid the problem completely.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I think it should be " seemed" because of the tense. Among the most difficult for me were the unremorseful (presumed) pedophile and the most innocent of bystanders who seemed to pay the ultimate price for the transgressions of another (to say more would reveal too much).
If you take out all the other words and just say, "the most difficult were the pedophile and bystander who seemed/seem/seems to pay." you can get a better idea of what sounds best??
Just my 2 cents.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
janinewesterweel
Currently Reading: Gangster State
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janinewesterweel.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by janinewesterweel »

Espie wrote: 13 Feb 2019, 22:44
_Delly_01 wrote: 11 Feb 2019, 23:58 The correct word would actually be 'seemed', because you have written in past tense. 'Seems' is present tense and used with singular pronouns.
:text-yeahthat:

Indeed. Despite this thread's topic :topic: , I agree. The word could work with singular nouns and the like, too. :tiphat:
Seemed is the correct form here because of the tense, and that cancels out the rest of the discussion. :wink: However, and please correct me if I'm wrong, the fact that the paedophile has been included in the thought automatically makes it plural. In that case, in the present tense "seem" would be right, not "seems".
“Sleep is good, he said, and books are better.” :techie-reference:
― George R. R. Martin

"I’ve always believed that chaos is the muse of creation, and a good story is often driven by the choices made in the wake of madness."
- Matthew Tysz
Caribqueen16
Favorite Book: The Employee Millionaire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caribqueen16.html
Latest Review: Let’s Mountain Bike! by Paul Molenberg

Post by Caribqueen16 »

The answers are quite interesting. However, after reading the sentence, I saw that there are two different subjects connected by the word "and" - Plural subjects, plural verbs. Therefore "seem" is the correct form of the verb, but it is used in the incorrect tense. "Seemed" should have been used instead of "seem".

Return to “International Grammar”