Review by brendinromney -- Randy Love...at your service

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
brendinromney
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendinromney.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Review by brendinromney -- Randy Love...at your service

Post by brendinromney »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter is a story that follows the young, and egocentric Randy Love as he navigates life, struggles to find a decent housing situation, gets chained down by the demands of a relationship, and tries to impress his family and friends. All the while he goes to great lengths to do as little work as possible, and maybe save a little money along the way. Randy, feeling the pressure from his family to go back to college and become successful, moves out of his father’s house to survive on his own. This is where all his hardships begin, and he finds out that planning ahead and thinking of others is more important than he first thought.

This book was a light read and was filled with humor from the charismatic Randy Love. I liked the character depth and growth, and you can definitely tell the author put time and thought into each character. I also liked how there was a lot of detail that was put into the story when describing the characters and other events so the reader was never confused on what the situation was.

Something that I didn’t like was the repetitiveness of some of the situations. Most of the book was Randy moving in and out of apartments for the same reasons and going to bars. I know this is meant to reflect on the character’s hardships or bad choices and decision making, but it also makes for a boring story. There also was not a climax that was noteworthy or anything interesting that happened that made me feel invested in the story. I also wish that the lessons in this book weren’t so elementary, or that the events leading up to the ending were not so rushed.

I would rate this book 2 out of 4 stars because there were some grammatical errors, and the story was too slow and uneventful, but I did enjoy the characters and humor in the book. I thought that the author could have improved the story by adding in a few more situations that weren’t so ordinary to match the main character’s not so ordinary personality and humor.

Generally speaking, I did not enjoy the book, but I did like some aspects of it. I think that mature readers or people who like super relaxed reads would enjoy this book, but I wouldn’t recommend this book to readers who want a more eventful story.

Randy Love...at your service
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like brendinromney's review? Post a comment saying so!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I liked the character depth and growth, and you can definitely tell the author put time and thought into each character.
It's good that you've found that aspect noteworthy. I'm planning to write my own book within the next decade or so, too, but I haven't had much progress yet. Thus, I admire those who were able to transform their plans into reality. Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
brendinromney
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendinromney.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by brendinromney »

Thank you for your feedback and I hope you finish your book!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”