Discuss Definition of insanity

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Re: Discuss Definition of insanity

Post by Anthony__ »

I definitely agree with the author. So, Insanity is "doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. If a method is not working, you need new methods to get better results.
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

insanity i feel like is when ones actions are harmful to themselves or the society that being said, the author was right to say when a need is not being met by an approach, it is sometimes necessary for the approach to that need to change but if a person doesn't live by that principle, that is not insanity. there are times when the circumstances surrounding the need to be met is not conducive and that doesn't always mean the approach needs to change.
Darlynn_Tebogo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlynn-tebogo.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Darlynn_Tebogo »

Sicily Joy wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 02:47 I agree that if something you are doing isn't working or isn't improving the situation, it is time to try new tactics. Yet, I don't think people who keep doing the same things are necessarily insane. Insanity, in my opinion, is when your behaviors are causing devasting results in your life and you felt a lack of control to do otherwise.
I completely agree with you, take for instance that if you have been using a certain approach to solve a problem and in some point in time that approach stops working but you still continue applying it. That certainly does not make one insane.
Darlynn_Tebogo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlynn-tebogo.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Darlynn_Tebogo »

I dont think Insanity is the right word. Sure, the approach used may not be yielding results but believing in that approach does not mean that one is insane. I think stubbornness is more at play here.
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

I don't think it's a proper definition of insanity. In my opinion, insanity is when you don't have control over your own mind. The author's definition is okay but not perfect.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

I don't think doing the same thing and wishing for a different result is insanity. The word "insanity" is widely used in literature that's why most people use it in different context.
For me, Insanity is when a person shows abnormal mental or behavioral patterns.
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

I don't think the concept fits the definition of insanity, but the concept is true. It's kinda like "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me." If things aren't good in life, it's not going to get better until some action is taken to make it better. I get frustrated when people complain about the same issue for months and all they're doing is complaining, they are taking no action and yet expect that somehow it will get fixed. Unfortunately that's not how the world works. In order to win the lottery, you still gotta go buy the ticket ;)
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Cecil Rhodes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecil-rhodes.html
Latest Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Post by Cecil Rhodes »

I think insanity according to this book is when we think we are right yet we are wrong.
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jessinikkip »

I have always heard and believed that insanity is doing the exact same thing and expecting a different result. It's one thing to do the same repeated bad action, but after time you have to learn that you'll always get the same result.
Mrudolph30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrudolph30.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Mrudolph30 »

I think insanity means your experience of the world is fundamentally different from the majority of the population. I know many people who continue trying the same things and get the same poor results. I don't consider most of them to be insane, just hopeful that eventually their force of will will prevail.
Palmaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Palmaria »

I think that can be one definition for insanity.However I believe no matter how many times you do the same thing you DO get a different result. Maybe you failed 100 times but each time is a different kind of failure. It can take you a step closer to your goal or a step backwards.

What's insane is always having the never ending drive to keep trying.
nomnombooks
Currently Reading: Die Uhr, die nicht tickt
Bookshelf Size: 491
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nomnombooks.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by nomnombooks »

I like this definition of insanity and I agree that it is one way of describing it. Even more so I think doing the same thing again and again and not getting a different result can actually drive you insane.
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

This undoubtedly ties in with Einstein's definition of insanity - "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." I have never found this to be untrue, and can be applied to our daily life as proof. For instance, walking into the same wall and expecting a different outcome, like the wall moving or one suddenly gaining the ability to phase through objects is ridiculous, or inputting the same incorrect password or pin for our respective accounts and expecting it to be accepted.

This is an ironic contrast to the 'try and try again' dogma drilled into our heads from an early age, as success ofttimes comes about after seemingly endless tries.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

Repeating the same poor choices will yield the same poor results. However, repeating positive actions will continue to yield positive results.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Mariette15
Favorite Author: Patrick Ness
Currently Reading: The Knife of Never Letting Go
Bookshelf Size: 37
fav_author_id: 3220

Post by Mariette15 »

I mean, if this was true, then a lot of humanity would be insane. We all do this, have bad habits, and yet always expect some better result. It is a bit insane, honestly.

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”