Official Review: The Surprising Adventure of a Rock Named...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Official Review: The Surprising Adventure of a Rock Named...

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Surprising Adventure of a Rock Named Fred" by T. K. Suits.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Surprising Adventure of a Rock Named Fred is a children’s illustrated book written by T.K. Suits and illustrated by H.P. Suits. Even though Fred is rock, he somehow manages to find a way to go on an adventure that takes him far away from home.

It’s Fred's one-millionth birthday and he feels anything but happy. He might be a rare and very sparkly rock, but he is feeling unimportant until a letter arrives in the mail. In the letter, it says that a rock collector will come by and collect Fred to add to his rock collection. Fred is very excited until a bird poops on his head. After singing the rain song, Fred patiently waits for the rain to wash away the poop. However, the rain seems to not only wash away the poop, but it also washes Fred away from his mossy bed. As Fred falls into the river and rushes away from his home, will he find a way to go back home or will he be lost forever?

Filled with bright and colorful illustration, I found this book to be interesting and engaging for younger readers. The illustrations accompany the text well and most of the illustrations are hand drawn which adds character to the story. Moreover, the addition of the lyrics of the songs the Fred sings makes it a unique way for readers to sing along to.

Only about 50 pages long, this book makes a great addition to any child’s bookcase. Despite the fact that Fred is a rock, I found his character to be bright and cheerful. He always tries to look at the brighter side of things and his determination is one of his noticeable traits. Furthermore, the storyline is simple and easy to follow with hints of foreshadowing included in the texts and illustrations.

Overall, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed reading the story and looking at the colorful illustrations. Moreover, this book was well edited as I did not spot any grammatical errors or spelling mistakes. I would recommend this book to children from ages 6-10 who like to read about action and adventure.

The Surprising Adventure of a Rock Named Fred
View: on Bookshelves

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Bienn
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bienn.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Bienn »

Nice book, I love the cover photo. It really sounds funny and enjoyable. Thanks for your review, I've learned something new.
Remember :hand: to take a bath :liar: first before reading anything! :no-spoil: :? :lol:
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This book really seems like a very enjoyable book for kids. I like the idea of a rock being the main character in this book. I'm definitely adding this to my TBR list; my niece and nephews will enjoy itm thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

I like the book cover! I feel like I would enjoy this story too.
Breehayes
Currently Reading: Just A Friend
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Breehayes »

The storyline seems very captivating, definitely a must read for me.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I could see this sparking the pet rock craze again. What child wouldn't want a pet rock after reading about Fred and his adventures? It could be a good after-reading activity. Great review of a cute book. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This sounds like an appealing story for children. The idea of a rock that is a million years old would motivate kids. What would you give someone for their millionth birthday? Fred seems like a lovely character. Everything you say about this book sounds creative and appealing. I feel like a kid that needs to read this story!
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

One million birthdays! Can you imagine?! The complications sound quite humorous.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
lalakaren51
Currently Reading: Stillpoint
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lalakaren51.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by lalakaren51 »

This looks like a book I would love to read with my grandson! The cover is cheerful and attractive. The plot sounds like a story that would keep the interest of a youngster!
RedPoppyFlower
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RedPoppyFlower »

The character of Fred, having a positive outlook in life is truly amazing.

Return to “Children's Books”