Is Big Pharma a Conspiracy or Not?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Re: Is Big Pharma a Conspiracy or Not?

Post by briellejee »

ViziVoir wrote: 06 Jan 2019, 04:05 The medical system in the United States, at least, is definitely one of the biggest problems with our time's rampant capitalism. It's also a problem that most Americans want a simple pill or treatment that will cure all their symptoms, rather than being willing to change their lifestyles in any major way.
I also agree to this. I am living in the US but in our country, it goes the same way. People want "magic" pills rather than accepting that they should opt for changing their habits and lifestyles. People will always opt for the easier way because apparently society wants us to work all the time rather than waste our time jogging and all.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Philip Chepsingil
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philip-chepsingil.html
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope

Post by Philip Chepsingil »

I belief too that there is a conspiracy about cancer. Surely all medical research about this cancer which has affected almost every individual directly and indirectly has been futile. There must be a force frustrating the effort. Big Pharma is a suspect.
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope
praisecrown8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praisecrown8.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by praisecrown8 »

It's a conspiracy.
Ehartl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ehartl.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Ehartl »

I believe it's all about money, not helping people. With regards to what you mentioned about insurance companies, of course they are going to pay for the addictive treatment rather than the less dangerous alternative because if they get you addicted to something, they've got a customer for life. I'm not quite sure it's a "conspiracy", but I do think Big Pharma is a thing and that thing isn't good.
becsimpson
Currently Reading: Ringo and the guardians of the waterfall
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becsimpson.html
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Post by becsimpson »

I wouldn't say it was a 'conspiracy' per say. It's certainly a vast, money making scam, for sure. They're definitely ripping people off when they could be helping them for much lower costs, and people are dying as a result of it.
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy
amafie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amafie.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by amafie »

It is quite ironic as at one time I was going to school to further my education in medicine. Although I was studying to be an R.N., the teacher that taught the chemistry classes and the medical classes walked into the room the first day and stated that most of the students in this class would end up hating western medicine. And it was absolutely true. Especially in my case. I absolutely believe that Big Pharma is a scam for sure. There is no money in the cure! I have researched effects that colloidal silver has in varying doses. I researched a man that made a contraption that made colloidal silver with water. He tested these theories on subjects who suffered from breast cancer down to fibromyalgia.. the FDA caught wind of this, came in and shut him down talking with them all of his research. He no longer can sell his device in the states and in order for one to purchase this, would have to be bought through Canada and is marketed for plant growth. It is a shame that we have been made to rely solely upon big pharma for everything. I am glad this book has come around!
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White
Ksharmilla
Currently Reading: Going Wild
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ksharmilla »

I don't really believe it is conspiracy. However, companies are interested in making money at the end of the day. I believe it is up to the consumer to do the research and find out what is best for themselves.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I don't know that I'd go so far as to call it a "conspiracy", but as others have stated, I think that they're out to make money - just like any business or employee; I wouldn't work for free - and in so doing, they're willing to keep competitive treatments a secret as much as possible.
katiesquilts
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

I absolutely believe that Big Pharma is a major problem that boils down to two things: corporate greed and the fact that if the medicines they sold actually worked perfectly, they would never be able to leech off of repeat clients. Big Pharma seems to have a goal of keeping its customers 70~80% healthy, or at least healthy enough that they don't die so the companies don't lose a source of income. But if customers are perfectly healthy, they don't need to go to the doctor or purchase medicine that costs twice, sometimes three times what it's actually worth. Not to mention all the effect they're putting into shutting down researchers who actually have great discoveries. And just take a look at how they police the way doctors and companies market their products!
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

A conspiracy, I don't know, but Big Pharma is definitely a thing and it is in some ways problematic. There is the common perception that Big Pharma is driven by greed and profit, and in some cases that may be true, though it is also unfair to generalize because personally I have known plenty of people who have gone into this field with good intentions to help people and find cures for diseases. Whatever the case though, I do think Big Pharma, as an entity, has grown into something unmanageable and there needs to be more oversight put in place to root out the immoral practices.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

Yes, there surely is a conspiracy. I have seen drugs being produced just to superficially control the symptoms than to target the root cause of the illness. Sad state of things.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

While reading the book, I looked at the research papers and clinical trials that I could find on the NIH site and PubMed - her story checks out for the most part. But when you look up her father's name, the first result says he's known for ineffective cancer cures! The studies are still being done now and show promise... I never found anything good about deKuyper though.
It seems ridiculous to think it's all a conspiracy; we develop drugs because the natural remedies weren't enough. But we have laws against conspiracy for a reason. And all our history books taught us about the many, many conspiracies of the past. I suppose many in the medical profession get jaded, overworked, and sick of it all, give up and go with the status quo.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

starshipsaga wrote: 07 Jan 2019, 20:05 A conspiracy, I don't know, but Big Pharma is definitely a thing and it is in some ways problematic. There is the common perception that Big Pharma is driven by greed and profit, and in some cases that may be true, though it is also unfair to generalize because personally I have known plenty of people who have gone into this field with good intentions to help people and find cures for diseases. Whatever the case though, I do think Big Pharma, as an entity, has grown into something unmanageable and there needs to be more oversight put in place to root out the immoral practices.
I do agree that it's wrong to generalize. Some people enter the field with good intention and a heart to save humanity. Most of my family are into this field so I still believe not all are eaten by the system. :tiphat:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Amanda Deck wrote: 07 Jan 2019, 23:28 While reading the book, I looked at the research papers and clinical trials that I could find on the NIH site and PubMed - her story checks out for the most part. But when you look up her father's name, the first result says he's known for ineffective cancer cures! The studies are still being done now and show promise... I never found anything good about deKuyper though.
It seems ridiculous to think it's all a conspiracy; we develop drugs because the natural remedies weren't enough. But we have laws against conspiracy for a reason. And all our history books taught us about the many, many conspiracies of the past. I suppose many in the medical profession get jaded, overworked, and sick of it all, give up and go with the status quo.
Wow, thank you for the effort of researching these facts. I didn't know about that her father. But then, maybe they're trying to sabotage his work as what her daughter claims? At this point, we all know business will always be business. It's a sad fact, these conspiracies, but nonetheless, it is what it is. Thanks for this insightful perspective! :tiphat:
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

I think it's a simple matter of making money, and there will always be some people willing to go through further extend to gain it than other. Big Pharma is a business and its goal is to make money.

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”