Did the lack of Action Steps take away from the usefulness of this book?

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: Did the lack of Action Steps take away from the usefulness of this book?

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

No, the author flow was perfect for me and i would not change anything in the book.
HRichards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hrichards.html
Latest Review: Yeh-shen by Ray Simmons

Post by HRichards »

From a teacher's perspective, the lack of steps or activities did make the application of some of this rather difficult. Maybe I was looking at it too much from the perspective of the author trying to teach the readers something rather than just giving advice.
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

HRichards wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 11:10 From a teacher's perspective, the lack of steps or activities did make the application of some of this rather difficult. Maybe I was looking at it too much from the perspective of the author trying to teach the readers something rather than just giving advice.
I also had the perspective that he was teaching.

:occasion-santa:
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

I do not think so. I can make the action steps myself. A common set of actions wouldn't be achievable by everyone anyway.
McKadeemd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mckadeemd.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by McKadeemd »

Yes, I was waiting to learn more about how to actually apply the steps that were discussed. Maybe that is due to my therapist background, but I really would have liked to see specific steps laid out in a clear and simple manner.
Jeyran Main
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyran-main.html
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards

Post by Jeyran Main »

Many people strive for things like a sheet or checklist, or an action plan. I think think the book was useful enough. You could simply have your own set of sheet or action plan if you feel it necessary. I would not write in a book anyway and once you do you need more paper anyway so its existence didn't really take away from the effectiveness of what the book represented.
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards
becsimpson
Currently Reading: Ringo and the guardians of the waterfall
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becsimpson.html
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Post by becsimpson »

They could have maybe included action steps at the end, or a section at the back of the book where you could write out your own plan of action, but i’m Happy with them not being included at the end of each chapter as it would have taken away from the flow of the book.
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy
dreamthewilderness
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamthewilderness.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by dreamthewilderness »

I feel that because the specifics of success in this book are rather nebulous, it would be difficult to make relevant action steps. However, I agree that including writing exercises at the end of the chapters would make the material more engaging and help the reader decide what their action steps might be given the kind of success he or she is dreaming of.
FictionLover
Currently Reading:

Post by FictionLover »

dreamthewilderness wrote: 11 Dec 2018, 18:08 I feel that because the specifics of success in this book are rather nebulous, it would be difficult to make relevant action steps. However, I agree that including writing exercises at the end of the chapters would make the material more engaging and help the reader decide what their action steps might be given the kind of success he or she is dreaming of.
I like the way you think.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
amandathebibliophile
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandathebibliophile.html
Latest Review: Short of Love by Martin Knox

Post by amandathebibliophile »

Hmmm. I have an open mind, and so I like to think it’s possible that action steps might have made a difference for me with this book. But as it stands, this book did seriously nothing for me.
FictionLover
Currently Reading:

Post by FictionLover »

amandathebibliophile wrote: 12 Dec 2018, 14:39 Hmmm. I have an open mind, and so I like to think it’s possible that action steps might have made a difference for me with this book. But as it stands, this book did seriously nothing for me.
That's too bad. I am surprised at how many people say that action steps would have changed or hurt the flow of the information, and I wonder now if the book did anything for them.

I enjoyed the read, but in many ways found the book's advice generic and not unique at all. In my opinion, action steps ask you to stop and think about what you read and consider how to use the information.
Erika Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erika-thomas.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Erika Thomas »

I find that with personal development, or self help, books tend to keep a broad berth when it comes to the implementation of their philosophies, so that somebody can use it in any aspect of their lives. I feel that making the choice to write out your own plan based on the philosophies displayed in this type of book is the whole point of this type of book. I feel that written exercises at the end of each chapter would have taken away from that crucial step.
DrHyde_not_Jekyll
Favorite Book: Beneath a Scarlet Sky
Currently Reading: What's Your Bio Strategy?
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drhyde-not-jekyll.html
Latest Review: The Writer's Roadmap by Leigh Shulman

Post by DrHyde_not_Jekyll »

I think that the initials at the end of each chapter are the "action steps" -- or perhaps, the reader's promise that they will take action.

I feel like the author's whole premise of the book was for you to take responsibility for your own life. Only you know what you want, and only you can decide whether you'll commit to getting it or not. Including prescribed action steps would a bit hypocritical, in my opinion, and take awhile the entire point that you and only you are responsible for your life. We need to figure it out without hand-holding. In that sense, Wdowiak upholds his entire promise by not including action steps.
Highly Favoured One
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Highly Favoured One »

I don't really think that the author intended it as an action steps book, rather a wake-up call book. The tone sounds more like "stop moping around,get up and do whatever needs to be done". So the actions to be taken depends on wherever each individual reader is at in life.
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

I definitely think that action steps help many put the ideas into action. Many people who are confused and read these books are exactly looking for that; most probably they know what is right to do but lack the instructions on how to do it. I personally think that some practical action steps would have added to the value of this book.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”