Official Review: The Unbearable Machine by Megan Voysey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Official Review: The Unbearable Machine by Megan Voysey

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Unbearable Machine" by Megan Voysey.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Every once in a while, I come across a book written so truthfully that I can’t help but be captivated by its emotional honesty, bowled over by the author’s ability to perfectly capture the rawness of human emotion. For me, this was the case with Kazuo Ishiguro’s The Remains of the Day. It was the case with Judith Claire Mitchell’s A Reunion of Ghosts.

It was also the case with Megan Voysey’s The Unbearable Machine.

The Unbearable Machine is one of those books where the plot isn’t really the focus of the story, but still—before we go any further, let’s have a quick run-through of the storyline. Our main character, Astrid, is mourning the death of her partner Claire, without whom she feels lost and utterly alone. To cope with her loss, Astrid goes to therapy (a support group called Grieve with Dignity); she stays away from home for a while, going on a trip alone to learn to adapt to life without the love of her life. And, in the process of healing from this setback, she begins to heal from other traumatic events in her past, too. (Heads’ up—this does mean that this book does deal with darker themes like death and sexual assault, so consider yourself forewarned!)

The Unbearable Machine is beautifully written. It’s filled with vivid, haunting imagery and lyrical sentences that flow so seamlessly into each other, the writing more resembles poetry than prose. (Cross E. Lockhart’s writing style with spoken-word poetry—that’s the vibe you get with Voysey’s words.) It was easy to get lost in this book because the writing just flows—that’s something you don’t see too often. Voysey also makes great use of white space to enrich her tone, using double-line spacing to make each sentence that much more impactful. That’s usually analysis I’d save for poems, but that’s just how much Voysey’s writing reads like poetry!

Good writing aside, I also really liked the LGBTQ representation in this book; it’s great to see novels where people from the LGBTQ community have the starring roles. Also, Astrid may be a lesbian, but the story isn’t about coming out or being attracted to people of the same sex—Astrid has an identity and personality outside of her sexuality, which has always been the case in real life and should always be the case in media. LGBTQ characters in mainstream media tend to be written simply as That Queer Character, and have little to no development as actual characters, so The Unbearable Machine is definitely a great example of good representation!

Having said that, no book is perfect, and this one is no exception. My main gripe with this novel is that emotional emphasis is divided between two or three focal points—Claire’s death and a few other spoilers that I won’t share—and each focal point is equally emphasised. While this does pull the reader deeper into the story and allows for greater empathy and immersion, it also has the unfortunate side effect of making the story seem slightly unfocused, i.e. that the story can’t decide on a single main event. This distracts from the story because the events aren’t even the main point of the book; that title belongs to the emotional journey Astrid embarks on. I’d have liked it better if these subplots had been woven into the main core of the story, rather than having each event presented as the be-all and end-all of the plot. Another issue I had was that Voysey uses too many commas; while this was partially because of her writing style, I did find myself thinking that some additional full stops would have made the reading experience even better. I will say that the above-mentioned aren’t major problems, though—I did thoroughly enjoy the book!

Overall, I’d give The Unbearable Machine a solid 3 out of 4 stars because it really held up well for me. It’s definitely a book I’d recommend to anyone with a couple of hours to spare, at any rate—I promise it’ll be a fulfilling read.

The Unbearable Machine
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ginnamassa19's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This book sounds very intense. Dealing with the death of a loved one is an issue that almost everyone (unfortunately) can relate to - such a forlorn subject. But I loved your review. You made the book sound as beautiful as I'm sure it is, including the gloomy subject matter :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

This books appears to have wonderful characters and promising character development. Thank you for lovely the review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like a beautifully written story about dealing with loss. I enjoyed your excellent review.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I could use an enjoyable read that tackles important issues, like dealing with loss. Thanks for the beautiful review.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

I enjoyed reading your indepth review. I see the book does dwelve on the dark side with a few deaths. Your first sentence captured my attention well enough that I won't pass by without adding this book. Thank you!
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Honestly this sounds a little confusing to me. I think I'll skip this one.
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

You have written a lovely review about a sensitive subject that can easily become controversial. Apart from the review, I love your profile picture which is not that dissimilar to my own. Cat people unite!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The book seems to be juggling very many intense issues. I think I will pass.I have enjoyed reading your review all the same.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

I find it rather enjoyable when I come across a book that reads with a both realistic and poetic tone. I appreciate your comparisons to poetry, as it makes the book more appealing. Thank you overall for a lovely review!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

It certainly sounds as though the author's style of writing was engaging- with the flow of the writing, the resemblance of poetry and the double spacing. I enjoyed reading your very thoughtful and informative review!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Great review! This does seem like a great book for those who are interested, but I don't think it's one for me.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Ah, this sounds like a much darker book than I'd expect for one dealing with the grief of loss, but it also sounds a bit confused as to what it wants to be. I'm on the fence for this one because on the one hand, LGBTQ representation isn't easy to find, but on the other, I'm not sure I can deal with a confused plot that can't decide what to prioritise.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

Bianka Walter wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 14:23 This book sounds very intense. Dealing with the death of a loved one is an issue that almost everyone (unfortunately) can relate to - such a forlorn subject. But I loved your review. You made the book sound as beautiful as I'm sure it is, including the gloomy subject matter :)
Thanks, Bianka! :D Yes, I do think the subject matter is a little heavy, but the book is beautifully written!

I'm so sorry for the late reply--I took a hiatus from this website and didn't realise I had comments to reply to :P
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

daydreaming reader wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 17:14 This books appears to have wonderful characters and promising character development. Thank you for lovely the review.
Thank *you* for commenting! The book *is* a good read :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”