Use of Questions

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Re: Use of Questions

Post by Mr Benji »

Al Chakauya wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 21:09 For me discussion questions are a big NO for this book. The author's idea here is to teach kids to read - adding questions will not help the intended reader. The big and vibrant illustrations accompanied by very short sentences will just do the trick to lure the child to read the book again and again.

It's true that the children can easily read the sentences because they are simple.

But discusing it with an adult such as a parent could make it more interactive and fun.

Remember only an adult can deduce some deeper lessons from it.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

LaurenHaupt wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 00:40 Wouldn't be a bad idea but don't make them too many of them.Main focus is trying to teach your kid how to read.

I agree that too many questions can easily wear down the child. But the child should not be made to answer them alone.

As parents and older siblings should assist them. This will be a more better way to make this effective.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 02:08 Adding question answer session in the end of the book is good idea. It will make this book more attractive.

I fully agree to this suggestion, yet this can only be possible in later editions.

As it is too late to make immediate changes if they are already printed.

Indeed Toni the Superhero is an attracive book.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

Bookmermaid wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 10:41 Well that is the purpose of critics and reviewers, to help persons who are clueless after reading a book to be more aware of the deeper levels of meaning explored by the book.

Well said. And I think we are doing our job by making some recommendations.

I really wish the author can see this suggestions so she can effect.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

Cecilia_L wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 15:22 I prefer discussion questions to be individualized by the parent during reading, rather than added in the book.

Well if that's what you think. Some parents may not have all that time and patience to do that.

So, it is better to add questions which are related to the topic and all the parent simply have to do is discuss them with their children.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

Brittany J wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 21:09 I don't think discussion questions need to be added to this book. Its purpose is to teach children to read, not specifically to teach morals. The morals can come through in a subconscious way by simply reading it. I hope that parents ask and also determine what sort of questions to ask when reading a book to their child.

Looking at the title Toni the Superhero, it defines the meaning of being in a new way.

Showing that being a superhero is not all about saving people. But for a little child lilke Toni, it can mean doing little chores at home.

I think that is really a good moral lesson. As the popular saying goes : CHARITY BEGINS AT HOME
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

Samanthajayne12 wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 05:31 This is an interesting point. It would be a nice interactive addition but I don't think it's particularly necessary, as the main point is for children to begin reading and actually enjoying reading.

Though the main purpose of Toni the Superhero is to make children enjoy reading, adding a quuestion and answer section will not hinder that purpose.

Rather, on the other hand is promotes greater understanding of the whole book.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

cpru68 wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 19:19 I don't think discussion questions would fit with the intention of why the author wrote this book. I felt it was to be a quick read to keep the attention of the target audience. I think that as the story is read repeatedly, young kids might jump in and speak about what is coming next. I like this free flow style versus a set of prescribed questions to follow.

I think adding such a question section willb really make the child understand more.

Although it has to be a quik-reak, rushing over the book might not be helpful.

As children's book are always designed to make to teach moral lessons. So adding such a section will not be a bad idea.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

Riszell wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 04:49 It is a children's book, so questions and discussions could be a confusion but I cannot deny that they also have advantages. It may depend on the reader.

I don't know how questions and answer part will be confusing since they are there to make enable easy understanding.

This is why a parent is meant to assist the child to clear any area of difficulty.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

kandscreeley wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 13:31 I think that's the job of the parent or teacher. Most likely the child at this age wouldn't be reading the book entirely on his or her own. The teacher/parent's job is to guide the student in discussion of the book. I don't think questions from the author are necessary.

It alright for a teacher or a parent to guide a child while reading Toni the Superhero.

But they may choose to discuss any topic at their own discretion.

I think these questions will enable them to become more focused without deviating.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

Jkhorner wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 08:08 I don’t think it would hurt to add a question/answer section in the back of the book as an option for parents. That being said, I appreciate the other commenters pointing out that the goal is learning to read, not learning to do chores. So maybe it’s not necessary, but it wouldn’t hurt.

Wow, the suggestion of Question Section for parents is amazing.

But learning only to read is not wholesome. A child must be taught the value of hardwork right from an early age.

So I think that's one thing every parent should ensure.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

lesler wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 09:43 I understand what you're saying, but as soon as you are pointing out what they should be noticing, the discussion with children is lost. Most children do not need an oral prompt to share their likes and dislikes, and this book will provide a valuable push towards them being drawn towards making good choices.

It is true kids are very smart to share their likes and dislikes without any prompt.

But the dicussion part is only done at the end and it can also be a means to see the things a child likes and hates.

Then you can simply change their views on it.I think it is a welcomed idea.
Books are lovely.

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”