Were you offended by the incestuous relationship between Billy and Tasha

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1886
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Were you offended by the incestuous relationship between Billy and Tasha

Post by Surabhi Rani »

I could finally appreciate the plot of brother Billie and step-sister Tasha as husband and wife. It depicts a reality of the degradation of society that is far more detestable!
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

I was not very comfortable reading it, and also thought it was very irresponsible of both of them, but at least they ended up well.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Shalu1707
Favorite Book: The Vampire Diaries
Currently Reading: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalu1707.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Shalu1707 »

I am not very sure about there situations but still I think they were supposed to be brother and sisters, even if they did not share blood. The relationship was disturbing.
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

I understand where the offense lies. But, incest has not always been frowned upon throughout the many societies on Earth and is still acceptable in some places to whatever extent. Though the society I live in thinks of it as disgusting, amoral, and generally wrong, and though there is scientific research that backs up why it is not a good idea, I do not personally believe it holds inherent offense.
Whataboutzaay
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Whataboutzaay »

They’re not blood so it’s not that serious but they could have did everything differently you know ? I think They were just horny 🤣🤷🏽‍♀️
StelKel1592
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stelkel1592.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by StelKel1592 »

I don't find it offensive, in that it didn't trouble me morally, but I do think that in terms of general life choices, sleeping with step-siblings seems to be risky!!
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

jenjayfromSA wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 06:19 Frankly, I don't see a problem. They were not raised as brother and sister and they are not biologically related. Their parents married and they share a house, which probably neither of them wanted to do. I don't see it as incestuous.
I agree. I didn’t really think of this as an in estuous relationship as I was reading it. They weren’t related by blood and didn’t seem to have been raised as brother and sister.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

Personally, I did not find it as something that could be considered offensive. Of course, a relationship between step-brothers may seem strange, but since there is no blood relationship between them, we would not be talking about incest. In addition, the strange dynamics of the family and the absence of Hiram as a strong father figure complicated things, especially when it comes to Tasha's personality.
Moray_001
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Moray_001 »

They may not be related by blood but they were related by their parents’ marriage. I feel they should not have pursued a relationship together.
Melbail
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Melbail »

Keeping in mind Billy and Tasha are not related In any way but by marrage. Howevet odd but not unheard of having this in mind my answer is no. I am not in the least offended by their relationship.
Highly Favoured One
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Highly Favoured One »

There are many ways the story could have gone, and the author had his/her reasons why this particular twist was added into the story. I wish it could have gone differently because relations between siblings or step-siblings doesn't sit right with me at all. Its true that the family dynamics were totally skewed in the first place, but in my view, this just only make a bad situation even more bleak.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I think the relationship between Billie and Tasha may have been slightly more acceptable had Hiram and Carole already divorced prior to any advancement of sexual relations.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

This is a constant debate I encounter in a lot of my readings. Most people argue the wrongness of it, claiming any romantic relationship existing in the same place as any sort of familial connection, whether legal or biological, is unforgivable. Personally, I see nothing 'wrong' with. The two parties are not biologically related, so the chances of there being recurring genetic pairing that could cause an abnormality is tremendously slim, which is the point argued by many against these unions.

Another interesting controversial issue is the pairing of, for example, the siblings of a middle party, who are otherwise unrelated.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
Tobiasblackwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tobiasblackwell.html
Latest Review: MY FRIEND Marilyn by Christopher Lentz

Post by Tobiasblackwell »

The thought of the incestuous relationship between two people who are counted as siblings doesn't sit well with me.
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

Oh my god! I thought it was just me! A lot of my friends argue about the no blood relationship between them, but I couldn't accept it.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”