What did you think of the erotic scenes?

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
Keevan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keevan.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Re: What did you think of the erotic scenes?

Post by Keevan »

I agree. I'm not really into erotica and making it wordy makes it even worse. There is nothing wrong with getting straight to the point.
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

In my experience, many authors struggle to write erotic scenes. It seems like that was the case in this book. Many times I skip these scenes when they’re too frequent or poorly written.
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

I guess we are on the same mindset about this. I did find them awkward to some extent or maybe it was just a failed writing style on the part of the author.
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick
piecesfallapart
Currently Reading: The Nightingale
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-piecesfallapart.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by piecesfallapart »

AliceofX wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 02:58 To me, that was the most cringe-inducing part of the book. I can't stand when writers try to be all literary and use phrases like, "openly displaying his manly attributes," and, "She was a tight bud opening to his heat." Just use adult words for goodness sake.

But maybe that's just me. Maybe that would have made the book too adult. What did you think?

I completely agree with you. Use your words and say things like they are. Don’t try to hide them because you are ashamed and don’t feel comfortable talking about it.

If the author does that, I’m skipping the scene.
Seamstress
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84

Post by Seamstress »

My opinion consernig erotic scenes... Well, in short - too much. I always thought something must be left to imaginstion. This detailed descriptions only spoil books.
LikoLovesBooks
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 728
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-likolovesbooks.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by LikoLovesBooks »

AliceofX wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 02:58 To me, that was the most cringe-inducing part of the book. I can't stand when writers try to be all literary and use phrases like, "openly displaying his manly attributes," and, "She was a tight bud opening to his heat." Just use adult words for goodness sake.

But maybe that's just me. Maybe that would have made the book too adult. What did you think?
I found it a little weird and was honestly hoping for some more spicy language! If I'm going to read an erotic scene it should give me the feels! :lol2:
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I agree - I found those scenes to be awkward and distracting to the main story which was much more interesting
Mary WhiteFace
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

CommMayo wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 17:16

I don't know about y'all, but I always think in terms of my husband's majestic, quivering, staff of steel entering my budding womanly depths of searing heat...

Isn't that normal for everyone?
I absolutely love your comment, CommMayo.
...my husband's majestic, quivering, staff of steel entering my budding womanly depths of searing heat...
It's poetic and detailed without vulgarity. Phrases such as this are reminiscent of the Victorian era, where women were considered delicate flowers.

My opinion on the issue of poetic phrasing vs. explicit vulgarity vs. simple adult words: They each have a place and purpose. Explicit vulgarity is for writings which are intended to excite and arouse the reader. Simple adult words serve the same purpose but are used to create a scene in a narrative which has a premise that is not focused on sexual activity.

Poetic phrasing is used quite often in historical fiction. Historically, and unfortunately, women were often portrayed as either innocent flowers or provocative whores. There was very little middle ground.

As for myself, I enjoy each style of portraying sexual activity, depending on the purpose and premise of the book. I have also found each style amusing at times.

In Apollo's Raven, the language used in the sexual scenes didn't make a lasting impression, so to me would have seemed appropriate in its context. Although when taking out and read separately, I have to admit that I found the phrasing humorous and had a little chuckle.
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

I cringe when erotic scenes are written with goofy cliched phrases. It throws off the whole scene and ruins the moment. I know it's difficult to find the middle ground between goofy and good, especially when readers' preferences are so vastly different, but scenes like this really need to have the perfect wording to work.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
Dayanda
Favorite Book: Things Fall Apart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayanda.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Dayanda »

It is intriguing how such actions can be related in words, so most time I go through it.
lucia_kizas
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucia-kizas.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by lucia_kizas »

I don't mind erotic scenes if they are written well. For me, this means they are not cheesily romanticized (like Harlequin romance) and not graphically more suitable for an anatomy lesson (like some dark romance books where the scene goes on through ten pages or more). Something in between and short enough to not lose track of the plot.
The author was probably trying to make it sound romantic, but I'm afraid it tilted too much towards Harlequin romance with depictions like "tight bud opening to his heat"... No, just ... No!
Rhodes065
Favorite Book: Love & Payne (THIRDS)
Currently Reading: Stealth Ops Series
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Rhodes065 »

I believe readers follow you better & are more involved if they speak in “ever day speak” for the times their character is living in. A man in the Deep South talks differently about sex than a man from the Bronx or California. Sexual descriptive writing should be just as real as the rest of the book, but tasteful.
ReadMe28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readme28.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by ReadMe28 »

Sorry I'm late to the party! I just joined and this was the first book I chose to read and review. Having been an avid reader of various types of romance novels for over a decade, I was extremely disappointed in the "erotic" scenes in this book, especially the very first one when Catrin loses her virginity. I don't mind euphemisms too much, but it seemed like she totally just glazed over it, and the way she worded it honestly left me confused about whether or not they actually had sex. She also didn't tell much about Catrin's perspective during the experience. It was basically like okay, they're getting started and then oh, he's done.

I also have to mention that I don't think that overly religious or easily offended people should read romance novels...There are almost always "erotic scenes" in these types of books, so people who are uncomfortable with that should know what to expect and not waste their time if it's going to bother them so much.
Doom Boy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Doom Boy »

Some of the lines were cringe, but the book was mostly well written
sszb
Favorite Book: Dear Mr. Knightley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sszb.html
Latest Review: Uncle Yuta has an Adventure by Claire Youmans
Reading Device: B072V4HK9F