How much politics do you like in your books?

Discuss the August 2017 Book of the Month The Expansion by Christoph Martin.

View The Expansion on Bookshelves

View The Expansion on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
BelindaC
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-belindac.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Re: How much politics do you like in your books?

Post by BelindaC »

It depends very much on what I'm reading. For example, if I'm reading a horror story, I don't want any politics at all because I find it will detract from the tone and suspense of the story. However, if I'm reading mystery, scifi or fantasy I enjoy some politics as it adds to the world-building and can enhance suspense through political intrigue.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Just a little politics does it for me. There is a lot to learn about politics from other places.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

I prefer the politics of truth. Too much of what we watch or read these days is all propaganda no matter if it's left or right. I suppose I'm okay with books that have a bias opposite of mine so long as the other side isn't completely demonized in the book and the bias isn't being promoted as absolute, flawless fact. I have more respect for people who seek out the truth about the opposing side instead of believing fake, manufactured talking points, spin, and slander. Most often, there are more lies than truth being told no matter what side you're on politically.
Bancroft
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bancroft.html
Latest Review: "Unshielded Past" by Patti Morelli

Post by Bancroft »

Politics is part of all fields of life. It may interfere in any field and why not in books
Latest Review: "Unshielded Past" by Patti Morelli
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

You can't do without politics, and that's an element that most books tend to leave out. The reason why I enjoyed the Mistborn and Game of Thrones series so much is the integration of politics in fantasy. Your setting doesn't have to be in the real world.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I'm not a fan of politics in general. I feel that the people in charge only look out for themselves. In almost every situation it is about money and resources. I just can't stomach the capacity of how corrupt the powers that be are. In most books politics will peak in, to tell you about when the book is written or the help you judge how you feel about a certain character. Most books don't need politics.
rcarr13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rcarr13.html
Latest Review: Weaponized Prayer Missiles Against Infirmities. by Dr. Omolara Olaniyi

Post by rcarr13 »

Politics is not my thing in books or real life. That being said, I don't mind a little bit in a book if it is relevant to the story, but will not read something that is completely one-sided or that's sole purpose is to preach the author's political views.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

For me, politics adds thrill to stories. I just don't like books mixed with politics when they start to become too philosophical, especially if my views vary greatly from that of the author.
Elzaavdolli1
Favorite Book: Keini and Abeli
Currently Reading: Something About Ann
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Elzaavdolli1 »

Politics is very decisive in every aspect of life but in realty I would prefer politics don't be mixed with books
Mwaka Abiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Mwaka Abiya »

who doesn't like politics and satire in book....?
every one does but some times we as writers face a common challenge no matter the country, state and continent. "WHY'' you may ask.
its simple, just as the saying goes, "Facts are bitter" indeed it is...!!!
there is no politician who would like to be exposed. But because of these challenges, its what we aspire to change just as the activists who does it by protesting we, write and write to change.

so yes, a little politics wil cause turmoil to them and eventually expose them. so as the main cause, they change.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

kandscreeley wrote: 02 Aug 2017, 07:34 I don't like politics, period. I don't like it in my novels, and I don't like it in real life. I read to escape and find a different life than what I'm in. To me, politics doesn't fit with that. That's just me, though.
Same here.
:techie-studyingbrown:
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

None. That's all my family use to talk about. It's all my husband and mother -in -law talk about. I'd rather stay out of it.
:techie-studyingbrown:
janice05
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by janice05 »

Some Iikes politics while others don't like .bt for me it is how you take it .sometimes its open up our mind
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

I don't it much. But I do read with a little of politics just to learn. But I don't find it enjoyable talk much of lot of politics.
underwok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by underwok »

I think it’s important for the reader to know that the author respects the differing points of view they are discussing. I don’t like one sided political diatribe, but rather thoughtful analysis of the issues.

Return to “Discuss "The Expansion" by by Christoph Martin”