What do you think that signing your initials at the end of the chapters accomplished?

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Re: What do you think that signing your initials at the end of the chapters accomplished?

Post by Radiant3 »

HollandBlue wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 23:07
Radiant3 wrote: 12 Nov 2018, 22:21 I think that signing your initials was an interesting aspect of the book. Usually, you sign something to acknowledge that you have read and understood what was written. Perhaps this was meant to be a personal acknowledgment and agreement of what was read.
You make a good point.
Thank you, :)
piecesfallapart
Currently Reading: The Nightingale
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-piecesfallapart.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by piecesfallapart »

HollandBlue wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 23:10 I don't think there is a way to sign on kindle, and you're right-the author has no way of knowing if you signed or not, so you're actually making a contract with yourself.
Exactly, and I don't think you need to sign the pages to make the contract. I do not sign when I want to go on a diet, or start doing some exercise, it is all about willingness. Maybe it does help some people, though, maybe signing is the way they actually agree do make the changes they need.
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

I get the reasoning behind it, to make yourself accountable, or committed to what was read. But, personally I don't think it works any better. Maybe for kids when you have them initial each day for chores or something but for adults?
kristine29
Currently Reading: Release that witch
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristine29.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by kristine29 »

Well that is certainly creative, hmm maybe I would try it sometime , see If I get really motivated as the author suggested.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

fernsmom wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 00:03 I get the reasoning behind it, to make yourself accountable, or committed to what was read. But, personally I don't think it works any better. Maybe for kids when you have them initial each day for chores or something but for adults?
That's true, that's a good idea to have kids initial a chore chart!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

kristine29 wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 06:14 Well that is certainly creative, hmm maybe I would try it sometime , see If I get really motivated as the author suggested.
It is creative...
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
(1466-1536)
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I think the idea of signing your initials is a step toward being responsible. This is a practical way for the reader to start putting in practice the main theme of the book. The author stresses the idea of taking control of your thinking and being responsible for your own life. Signing your initials may be a small thing, but it helps the person learn to be responsible. He also talks about the importance of the little things later on in the book. Putting your name on something, like any contract or written document, makes you responsible.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I thought it was a really great idea to add to the book. I felt like it held me more Accountable to make these changes to my life and my way of thinking.
gfowle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gfowle.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by gfowle »

FictionLover wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 07:42 I did not sign my initials because it is impossible to put your initials in a Kindle book. At least in my Kindle.

I did not think it served any purpose because it did not anchor the topics in my mind and just became a rote way of knowing that the chapter was at an end.
I was also unable to initial and do not think that it would have particularly contributed to my experience reading the book. I would have liked to see more concrete suggestions for things to actively do to implement the suggestions given by the author.
Charlotte_Shi
Currently Reading: In Lucia's Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlotte-shi.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Charlotte_Shi »

As the author explains, the act of signing ensures that the readers would hold themselves ‘accountable in the future court of life’. Probably not a very practical one, this idea is actually excellent, as it differentiates the book from other similar ones.
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

piecesfallapart wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 14:47
HollandBlue wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 23:10 I don't think there is a way to sign on kindle, and you're right-the author has no way of knowing if you signed or not, so you're actually making a contract with yourself.
Exactly, and I don't think you need to sign the pages to make the contract. I do not sign when I want to go on a diet, or start doing some exercise, it is all about willingness. Maybe it does help some people, though, maybe signing is the way they actually agree do make the changes they need.
Very true, willingness is what it's all about....
(1466-1536)
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

kdstrack wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 11:00 I think the idea of signing your initials is a step toward being responsible. This is a practical way for the reader to start putting in practice the main theme of the book. The author stresses the idea of taking control of your thinking and being responsible for your own life. Signing your initials may be a small thing, but it helps the person learn to be responsible. He also talks about the importance of the little things later on in the book. Putting your name on something, like any contract or written document, makes you responsible.
You're right, it's about being responsible for what you have read and implementing the ideas into your life.
(1466-1536)
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

Theresam wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 11:02 I thought it was a really great idea to add to the book. I felt like it held me more Accountable to make these changes to my life and my way of thinking.
I agree, accountability is a big theme throughout the book. In addition to having you signing your initials, the author wants you to be accountable for yourself.
(1466-1536)
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

gfowle wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 11:22
FictionLover wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 07:42 I did not sign my initials because it is impossible to put your initials in a Kindle book. At least in my Kindle.

I did not think it served any purpose because it did not anchor the topics in my mind and just became a rote way of knowing that the chapter was at an end.
I was also unable to initial and do not think that it would have particularly contributed to my experience reading the book. I would have liked to see more concrete suggestions for things to actively do to implement the suggestions given by the author.
Exercises to help you implement the suggestions in the book would have been good.
(1466-1536)
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

Charlotte_Shi wrote: 16 Nov 2018, 20:14 As the author explains, the act of signing ensures that the readers would hold themselves ‘accountable in the future court of life’. Probably not a very practical one, this idea is actually excellent, as it differentiates the book from other similar ones.
Good point, I had forgotten that statement and it really is true.
(1466-1536)

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”