Review by espositolove10 -- Voice of the Elders

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
espositolove10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espositolove10.html
Latest Review: Voice of the Elders by Greg Ripley

Review by espositolove10 -- Voice of the Elders

Post by espositolove10 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Voice of the Elders" by Greg Ripley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rohini Haakonsen, an Indian-American teenager, who attends a UN Youth Assembly in New York City on climate change and is visited by aliens offering to help humanity respond to the climate crisis. They insist on being called “The Elders,” and they request that some young people need to be sent to their world to learn and study their ways of living. The appearance of the Elders at the UN is very shocking, so some people do not trust them.

Even though Rohini has her own suspicions, she decides to go as an ambassador with the approval of the president of the United States. An agent called Sinead McGowan alias “Jane Smith” trains her, so she is prepared when she arrives to the planet and can sort any confrontation that she may have. When a masked gunmen attempt to kidnap her, the young people on Earth do not want to tag along with the elders’ plans. Along with Agent Jane Smith, Rohini is forced to flee to China where she learns about Daoist secret society and how it is related to Elders. Before she can make it to the Elders’ world, she must learn how to survive on her own.

Voice of Elders gives an important message: global warming is getting worse, and people are opposing to that climate change because of greed. The main antagonist is a one-dimensional caricature of a wealthy fossil fuels tycoon who is willing to do anything to maintain his wealth and power at the expense of humanity taking action on climate change. There is a lot of research in this book, and it introduces many historical references, as well as touching on some of the principles of Taoism, mediation, and philosophy.

The idea of Daoist aliens is very interesting, and I like the role that they play in the story. It draws my attention and capture my interest on how Daoist theme, the climate theme, and the alien theme all came together in a single plot.
One thing that I do not like about this book is that there isn’t a lot of discussions on climate change and its solutions. Moreover, the villain is so simple, and I prefer more three- dimensional or two-dimensional characters.

I rate Voice of Elders with 3 out of 4 stars because the author does not a great job on executing their ideas especially at the beginning of the story. The author should reveal the information more organically.

Voice of the Elders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like espositolove10's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

LOL. Nice review. You had me with the thought of alien visitors at the UN. This sounds like an interesting book. But I wonder, do you think the serious message about climate change could be denigrated by the alien plot of the book?
M Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-zee.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by M Zee »

This book sounds like my kind of odd, honestly. Thanks for the review.
I was born with a reading list I will never finish.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”