Is it practical?

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Is it practical?

Post by serendipity 27 »

I feel that life is so unpredictable it is hard to categorize any specific event. No matter what you do you can't change a bad situation sometimes even with good intent and hard work.
Give me the courage to get through this week...or at least a big bar of chocolate :D
Power Onyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-power-onyango.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Power Onyango »

Yeah, the books content is simple and based on real life issues. That just makes it practicable.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

I feel the ability to step back and change your own thought patterns is the most powerfully practical advise any self-help book can impart.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 959
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

They are quite practical. However, we need to mould them to the situations as life is unpredictable, and we cannot have tailor-made solutions to everything.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

FictionLover wrote: 02 Nov 2018, 06:58 It is practical, but you might not like some of the results.

I changed how I was handling a family situation based on the advice in the book. I felt someone was taking advantage of my time, and I put my foot down. This caused a huge fight and a rift in a family relationship that lasted for months. However, it seems that things are changing, so I guess the advice worked!
How brave of you! Confrontation can be scary, and it is especially scary when dealing with family. I hope things will continue to mend. Have you tried any more advice from the book in this particular situation?
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

I think the advice given in the book is practical. However, like everything in life, one should not be very rigid and dogmatic about the advice in the bok. There is room for variation and altering the advice. One can understand the principle underlying the advice and vary the action to suit one's peculiar situation and circumstance.
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 08 Nov 2018, 15:43
FictionLover wrote: 02 Nov 2018, 06:58 It is practical, but you might not like some of the results.

I changed how I was handling a family situation based on the advice in the book. I felt someone was taking advantage of my time, and I put my foot down. This caused a huge fight and a rift in a family relationship that lasted for months. However, it seems that things are changing, so I guess the advice worked!
How brave of you! Confrontation can be scary, and it is especially scary when dealing with family. I hope things will continue to mend. Have you tried any more advice from the book in this particular situation?
I think that was the only thing I used, that I wasn't already doing.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

What I got from the book were suggestions on how to handle situations. If applied, they would probably work as there is sound logic behind every piece of advice given.
Ashley Cremer
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-cremer.html
Latest Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Post by Ashley Cremer »

I think that they are practical but they are different for everyone as everyone undergoes different circumstances. I also think that life is not as clear cut as he makes it out to be and sometimes it requires a lot more to get where you need to be then just to envision yourself there.
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

I think books like this can give you a general guideline and a feeling of positivity. They can never tell you exactly how to deal with your problems. However, he does give a practical approach to life, problems and success.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Yes, the book is practical. You do not need to buy any expensive equipment or attend any classes. All the exercises are done in your head and heart. The person only needs to be willing to confront their own attitudes and work on changing their thinking patterns.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I've only just begun this one, but from what I can tell, the author's main point is that you have to take each situation as you want it, and let it become what you want out of it.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Radiant3 »

Yes, the advice is practical. Although the lessons are clear and practical that does not mean it is always easy to implement, especially in personal situations when emotions are involved.
raqstar1
Currently Reading: The Lady of the Lakes
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raqstar1.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by raqstar1 »

One of the biggest practical applications for me was realizing when I take someone else's opinions into account before or above my own. That's something that occurs in everyday life. As I assume that most people want to fit in, being able to realize that your opinion counts is very important.
Life is your own story. Sometimes you need an off-ramp and that's where books come in! :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference:
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

raqstar1 wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 08:10 One of the biggest practical applications for me was realizing when I take someone else's opinions into account before or above my own. That's something that occurs in everyday life. As I assume that most people want to fit in, being able to realize that your opinion counts is very important.
Definitely a good point, and something I'd like to be more considerate about. I've been so bad with being a people pleaser that I often take my opinion or thought out of the view to think about others, and I wind up being the one in a bad position because of it.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”