Is this book really offensive?

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Is this book really offensive?

Post by Alice Heritage »

The author mentions that the reader might be offended by some of the points he makes in this book. Did any of his assertions offend you? Did anything particularly stand out as being "not sugar-coated"? Or did you notice some different tones in the book? Give examples.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Swiftmover07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swiftmover07.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Swiftmover07 »

I did not find any of the content offensive. I love how nothing was sugar-coated it makes the content relatable. One of my favorite examples is where the author says "There is nothing wrong with being selfish and acting on your own best interest"
Goodnight sweet prince, may flights of devils wing you to your rest. - Anne Rice
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

Swiftmover07 wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 23:48 I did not find any of the content offensive. I love how nothing was sugar-coated it makes the content relatable. One of my favorite examples is where the author says "There is nothing wrong with being selfish and acting on your own best interest"
I definitely agree. Sugar coating isn't always the best way to convince people to get their heads out of their butts (lol). Bluntness is sometimes better and more inspiring.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
ShareTheGift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharethegift.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by ShareTheGift »

I also did not find anything offensive in the book. I read it a few months ago as I was looking for a non-fiction read and it was written by a fellow Arizonian.

I enjoyed the straight talk of the book as a matter of fact. I have been a manager of people for over 20 years and found that most of it rang true with advice I would often give people who reported to me or even to my bosses.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I do not believe that this book is offensive. I believe that it is straightforward and very direct. The world is not going to take it easy on a person just because they can not handle the ugly truth and if one is unable to adjust to the weight of the world then the only other option is to break.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

I didn’t find anything in the book offensive. I like the direct approach in how to deal with issues. I don’t get offended easily. You need to always face the truth and not delude yourselves about things.
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

I did not find anything offensive in the book.
Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Ayat paarsa »

I found it a little offended and inveighed, for example when author said: "If you are a cerebral individual who loves to spend lots of time overthinking and discussing the same issues, then this book May be not for you." That means, the author takes "overthinking" as a weakness. But all my resentness vanished when author said, take your weaknesses as your strength.He also said be proud for what you are, I am a thinker and I am proud of it.
:reading-5: @paarsa. :escribir:
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

I don't think the author had any plans to offend anyone. I think he wrote this "just in case". We live in a world, nowadays, that gets easily offended by the slightest thing. I can only imagine how a straightforward book like this one might displease some people. Personally, I've learned to respect other people's opinion and I always try to see things from their perspective, thus I didn't find this book offensive at all.
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

I did not find this book offensive, but I have know people who thought the philosophy of "owning your life and your mistakes" is like blaming the victim.

I happen to believe that we are more in charge in our health than most people think (especially for chronic and environmentally related diseases, not genetic ones) and people DO get very upset by the thought that they are responsible for something that is causing them so much suffering. They see it as saying it is their fault they are sick, instead of understanding that many health issues are related to diet, stress, or smoking (for example) all of which can be changed.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Brittanygraves1995
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittanygraves1995.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Brittanygraves1995 »

Although some parts of the book could be considered offensive to other readers, I did not take offense to any part. Wdowiak is simple and straight to the point in his writing. I believe that his overall assertiveness makes people want to take action in their own lives.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I did not find anything in the book that was offensive. I think people who are really into victim mentality might find it off-putting to have someone tell them that we are the cause of our own problems. This book makes people turn inward and take responsibility for themselves, and for some, that isn't what they want to hear.
Everything happens for a reason...
Italiansweety1982
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-italiansweety1982.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Italiansweety1982 »

I find it better to be blunt sometimes, to the point. Sugar coating can be too passive.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I personally didn't find anything offensive, and I enjoyed the author's viewpoint and conversational tone throughout the book. I think that a person who likes to play the victim might be put off by the way the book is written, advising that 'but' is no excuse for not achieving the best life has to offer.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

I don't think the author meant any offense to readers. On the contrary, I think he was just being frank with most of his points. I think this was a refreshing approach to the genre. His frankness also harmonizes with the no-nonsense, action-oriented nature of the book.

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”