Which piece of advice can you apply to your everyday life?

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
capricornius16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-capricornius16.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Re: Which piece of advice can you apply to your everyday life?

Post by capricornius16 »

Discipline starts with one's self.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

As John Lennon,said "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." This book shows that we need to start living a purposeful life, instead of coasting through our days with no goals.
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

The best piece I've found was the idea that we are not responsible for other people's actions, but we can choose how to respond to everything around us. I find this to be a very valuable piece of advice because I've dealt with a lot of insecure people who were always trying to hurt others to make themselves look good. In my earlier years, I made a mistake of taking it personally whenever someone tried to hurt me out of insecurity or jealousy. This book reminds me of how important it is to resist getting caught up in someone else's drama.
:character-ariel:
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

That nothing is lacking, everything needed to succeed, already exists.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Swiftmover07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swiftmover07.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Swiftmover07 »

I like the negative thought part. You can't do anything about the past so why dwell on it. Learn from it so you don't make the same mistake in the future
Goodnight sweet prince, may flights of devils wing you to your rest. - Anne Rice
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Haven't read it yet but for the majority of comments it sounds like the biggest thing is being responsible for ones own life. Sounds good.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Swiftmover07 wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 20:29 I like the negative thought part. You can't do anything about the past so why dwell on it. Learn from it so you don't make the same mistake in the future
That is easier said than done.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

My first takeaway was to be responsible for your own actions and stop blaming others (including God). My second takeaway was saying no to something that does not concur with my beliefs. However, both of them are easier said than done. :(
Jacci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacci.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Jacci »

Bukari wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 13:41 Well, we have so many weaknesses to deal with. Most at times we blame others for our misfortunes, instead of us to wake up and take our responsibilities. And I am very sure the book has more lessons to offer everyone.
You're right! I'm not yet reading this book, but I can relate to your comment. Hope to read this book soon.
:cooking: :cooking: reading while cooking is the best! :techie-reference: :lol2:
Keevan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keevan.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by Keevan »

Kibetious wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 07:59 I think it would be to stop living by accident and start living with intention. There are many days that pass by and when one tries to look back, it seems one was just living and did whatever came by, not based on any plan.
I agree. I would go about my life day by day just being carefree. I don't regret it but it could & would have been better if I had more of a plan.
Keevan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keevan.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by Keevan »

BookReader+6 wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 14:13 I learned to take responsibility for the mistakes I make instead of blaming others and to rectify them myself.
That's a good one. If we all do that, I believe, the world would be a much better place.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

Mely918 wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 16:38 I have tried the same thing in attempting to trust myself to say no. Saying no isn't the difficult part for me. It's the second guessing later on that gets to me. I'm trying to be better about that, though.
I am quite good at saying no... but following through is a different story. My second guessing comes from others that are not on the same journey and don't understand the importance of my decisions. That's another thing to work on for me.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Mely918 wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 16:38 I have tried the same thing in attempting to trust myself to say no. Saying no isn't the difficult part for me. It's the second guessing later on that gets to me. I'm trying to be better about that, though.
That's exactly it. I'm always nervous that my decision to say no is going to end up being the wrong one. And then stressing. Sigh.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

AmySmiles wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 21:29
Swiftmover07 wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 20:29 I like the negative thought part. You can't do anything about the past so why dwell on it. Learn from it so you don't make the same mistake in the future
That is easier said than done.
I think that the phrase 'easier said than done' is my biggest problem with self-help books. Especially when they tell you to stay positive.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

I liked his point that hard work doesn't always guarantee success. His advice "Don't work harder; work smarter" impressed me. I find I'm always busy, but not always achieving my goals. I need to take a good, hard look at what I'm doing and how I'm doing it.

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”