Which piece of advice can you apply to your everyday life?

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Which piece of advice can you apply to your everyday life?

Post by Bianka Walter »

After reading this book, I tried to come away with something that I could apply to my life to better it.
The one thing I have tried to do after reading it is to trust myself when I want to say 'no' to something.
Is there anything that you have taken from this book that you have actively tried to use to improve your life?
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

Bianka Walter wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 02:22 After reading this book, I tried to come away with something that I could apply to my life to better it.
The one thing I have tried to do after reading it is to trust myself when I want to say 'no' to something.
Is there anything that you have taken from this book that you have actively tried to use to improve your life?
He opens the book with a warning to beware of only considering ideas that already align with your beliefs. I think in our present political and "fact free" climate, that is powerful advice. If you don't keep an open mind, and look at an issue from various angles, you will severely limit your ability to understand it fully.

I try to use this concept in my daily life. For this reason I stay away from most political debates (especially on social media) because people just parrot around their beliefs and don't try to look at issues from all sides.

But this concept applies to other aspects of life, too. I recently had an employee quit and now I have to help train the new employee. I have to constantly try to put myself in the shoes of someone who is brand new to my field, even though I have been doing this for 20 years. My beliefs on how to run that post are being tested every day!

Einstein said "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I think it would be to stop living by accident and start living with intention. There are many days that pass by and when one tries to look back, it seems one was just living and did whatever came by, not based on any plan.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

Well, we have so many weaknesses to deal with. Most at times we blame others for our misfortunes, instead of us to wake up and take our responsibilities. And I am very sure the book has more lessons to offer everyone.
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
evan1995muniz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evan1995muniz.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by evan1995muniz »

What i have applied to my life the most is finding the things i can really exell at and be sucessfull, reviewing books is one of them, i have a passion for reviewing and have even thought of making a book journaling everything i do from day to day, a little autobiography of sorts. This self help-book is what helped inspire me to want to write. Im sure it may inspire many others to really find the things that make them feel sucessfull in this ever degrading society we call humanity.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I learned to take responsibility for the mistakes I make instead of blaming others and to rectify them myself.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Bronie
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bronie.html
Latest Review: The Life and Lessons of a Young Author by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Bronie »

I live by mottos that stem from meditation most of the time. There was one course on being in tune with nature and it really shed some light on the concept of time . And that there’s a moment for everything , not everything has to be rushed . And just being one with your divinity is something I personally live by.
Bronie
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bronie.html
Latest Review: The Life and Lessons of a Young Author by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Bronie »

I live by mottos that stem from meditation most of the time. There was one course on being in tune with nature and it really shed some light on the concept of time . And that there’s a moment for everything , not everything has to be rushed . And just being one with your divinity is something I personally live by.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I will remember that realizing my dreams is just a matter of working towards them and bearing in mind why I might have failed in the past, not to beat myself up but to learn to do something differently. I will keep working to ensure that I am ready for opportunities when they come along.
Last edited by Alice Heritage on 01 Nov 2018, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Ayat paarsa »

I learnt many applyable lessons. I thought not to be kiddy anymore and would take responsibility of my own. The idea of existing opportunities and taking benefit from them, as he narrated examples from music, painting and alphabets, was extremely beautiful.
:reading-5: @paarsa. :escribir:
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Post by Supergirl1 »

For me, it would be to always remember that I am responsible for how my life turns out. No excuses.
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

There is no one to blame but ourselves for any consequence that is produced out of the choices or decisions that we make.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I have tried the same thing in attempting to trust myself to say no. Saying no isn't the difficult part for me. It's the second guessing later on that gets to me. I'm trying to be better about that, though.
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

There's just so much to learn from this amazing book. One particular thing I learnt is being responsible for my life.
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Holding myself accountable for my deeds, and not trying to pass the blame to others for any misfortunes.

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”