Opinions on the cover and ilustrations

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Re: Opinions on the cover and ilustrations

Post by bootsie0126+ »

I think that the illustrations in this book were great. The bright, vivid and colorful pictures capture the reader's attention. The pictures flowed great with the story and will add in not only reading but identifying colors.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I think the cover was excellent - partly based on the fact that I can still picture it in my mind's eye even though it has been a little while since I last looked at it!
Doug Jones
Currently Reading: Beyond Denial
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doug-jones.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Doug Jones »

Seems to be a mix of views here. For my part, I thought the illustrations were clear and conveyed the meaning of the sentence's varying word very well. And that was the point; to get the reader to connect the word to the action depicted in the illustration. On that score, I can't fault Base and Hefke.
Nothing is more conductive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

Its been proven that all kids learn better with graphics. The better the graphical message, the better!
In this book, I think the beautiful imagery will definitely help the kids learn better.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I thought they were really bright and colorful. I think they are creative enough to keep children interested.
:tiphat:
psspcj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psspcj.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by psspcj »

I liked the illustrations as my toddler liked them. He actually can relate to day-to-day activities looking at the pictures.
debbielouise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbielouise.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by debbielouise »

I feel that the illustrations would help new readers as they link well to the text. They also have lots of detail so would be appealing to children who are having the book read aloud to them.

I do feel that the cover lets the book down a bit. I'm not sure I would have picked up the book based purely on the cover. The illustration looks a bit amateurish.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

Cristal2408 wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 01:32 This is a discussion on the cover and illustrations. Did you like how the cover was done? Do you think the illustrations can have an effect on children's behavior? According to the author, the book was written in order to give children confidence while reading, do you think the illustrations help make that happen?

Yes, I see the connections between illustraions and confidence in reading a book.

Because confidence means to be sure about your abilities or good qualities and these illustrations really enhance that.

Any child can easily see Toni as he is playing, singing and dancing. So they learn from it: IF TONI CAN DO IT SO CAN I.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

bookowlie wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 08:38 I loved the illustrations as it would be easy for a young child to figure out what Toni was doing in each picture. That's so important when a child is learning to read. As Miriam mentioned, even a baby or toddler could figure each action out. This way kids can get interested in books even before they are old enough to have the skills to read.

It is true that kids can be attracted to reading at early age through colourful illustrations.

But this is not possible without the parents constantly be by their side, as they can easily lose focus.

I hope more kids will really get the opportunity to read such good books.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

ZenaLei7 wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 12:09 I really like the illustrations in this book. They are very bright and colorful and each picture helps to illustrate what Toni is doing. The pictures can help kids to figure what the sentences are based on the activities that Toni is doing.

Agreed, the pictures can easily show the meaning of the activities but not all children can see the connections.

Therefore guidance from an older sibling or a parent can be appreciated. For example hyperactive children are not able to read for long without assistance and constant watch.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

MsTri wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 12:39 I too thought the cover and pictures were very well done. Children for whom this book is intended love all of the color. Even beyond that, as I noted in my review, "a couple of pictures don't even have words, they're just for looking at. In several instances, it's clear that the pictures are a continuation from the previous page and even though it's just okay in the .pdf version, I imagine that it makes for a very nice two-page spread in the print version."

It's true , since a two-page spread might be a better version but the sentences are inserted on the same page.

That is they are not in a separate page where the pictures can easily be matched with the sentences.

Perhaps the author might correct the other errors you listed in a revised edition.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

Kmykel wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 13:24 I'm going to be the odd one out here, but I thought the illustrations were far too simple. I speak as a cartoonist myself (be it not a professional one), and I thought they were just a wasted opportunity. A book like this needs big, beautiful, detailed pictures and these look unprofessional and sloppy. There was a nice sense of movement, but that's about the only positive thing I can say about it.
I won't disagree with you since you should be able to offer a better jugment on this.

But I think if the author can make better illustrations in later editions will be a welcomed Idea.
Books are lovely.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

I thought the illustrations really worked in this book. They show an active kid having fun in many different ways. In fact, because he's a superhero, kids will love this book even more. The illustrations show them how Toni adapts his play to his surroundings.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

I found the illustrations to be quite lacking, and considering that this is a children's book, that's a vital blow to the book overall despite the story's greatness.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
PRECIOUSreads
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preciousreads.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by PRECIOUSreads »

I loved how the cover depicted what was inside the book accurately. And the colours... They led me to the book like cattle to hay.
PRECIOUSreads :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”