Vala, the least established princess

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Vala, the least established princess

Post by holsam_87 »

Does anyone else feel like Vala could have been done more justice as a character? After all, she's the eldest daughter. It doesn't seem like she was very important. She was only there long enough to be viewed as a form of insurance by the Roman's. There is only enough information to say that Vala is the oldest, she isn't very pretty, and she prefers the company of other women.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Yes, I thought the author could at least have brought more favorable qualities about Vala, especially noting that she is truly the King's seed unlike Catrin. The author seems to bring her up to be a contrast to the more comely Catrin which I think is a bit unfair to her.
juliamenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliamenez.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by juliamenez »

I wonder if this is strategic on the author's part, where the character is just mentioned to establish a presence in book 1, and then will be more integral to the plot in the sequels.
mariakavo88
Currently Reading: Raven's Fall
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariakavo88.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mariakavo88 »

juliamenez wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 11:02 I wonder if this is strategic on the author's part, where the character is just mentioned to establish a presence in book 1, and then will be more integral to the plot in the sequels.
I thought the same thing. *****spoiler**** They still have to get her back, as they never got her back at the end I think this may be a huge part of one of the upcoming books and her character will get explored further at this point.
jahagen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jahagen.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by jahagen »

I definitely wish she had been integrated into the story more. And it is even more tragic that at the end of the story, they've gotten everyone back except for you? And it kind of bothers me, too, that Catrin is portrayed as small and beautiful yet Vala is described as large, tall, and ugly. And with those descriptions, at least from the way I read them, it sort of implicates that it's the size that indicates that fact. But for being the eldest daughter of a king, I would have expected her to be in it far more.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Quinto wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 08:41 Yes, I thought the author could at least have brought more favorable qualities about Vala, especially noting that she is truly the King's seed unlike Catrin. The author seems to bring her up to be a contrast to the more comely Catrin which I think is a bit unfair to her.
I think you have this backwards. Catrin is the only real daughter of the king. The queen was pregnant by Trystan with Vala when she married King Amren. The second daughter was also sired by the queen's lover. The king tolerated this because of the curse Rhan put on his next child.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

I assume Vala will come into play later in the series, but she was barely portrayed at all in this book. I don't think we were missing much, though. She doesn't sound like an interesting character.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

bb587 wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 13:29 I assume Vala will come into play later in the series, but she was barely portrayed at all in this book. I don't think we were missing much, though. She doesn't sound like an interesting character.
What's not exciting about an illegitimate, Celtic lesbian warrior princess stuck in the clutches of misogynistic Roman war camp?!?! It has interesting time written all over it!
Zain A Blade
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Swordpoint by David Crane

Post by Zain A Blade »

CommMayo wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 14:08
bb587 wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 13:29 I assume Vala will come into play later in the series, but she was barely portrayed at all in this book. I don't think we were missing much, though. She doesn't sound like an interesting character.
What's not exciting about an illegitimate, Celtic lesbian warrior princess stuck in the clutches of misogynistic Roman war camp?!?! It has interesting time written all over it!
Now that you put it that way, Vala could be the most interesting character yet.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

Zain A Blade wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 14:43
It is all about putting it into perspective!
Julez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julez.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Julez »

I really hope her character will be explored in Book 2. Vala is presented to be a soldier as strong as a man. I would like to read about her fighting skills and love life.
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

I'm with CommMayo -- this is a novel premise in itself. That said, I think Vala is sort of a foil for Catrin: the more fully "warrior" type, dutiful, not pretty, not mystical, not tied up with a male love interest who would be an erratic chaperone, like Mor with Belinus. And of course, not Amren's child...
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

CommMayo wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 14:46
Zain A Blade wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 14:43

It is all about putting it into perspective!
Love this train of thought. When I read the book I felt the author had written Vala off as unimportant, nearly invisible. Now I wonder if she could hold her own against the Romans!??!
gfowle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gfowle.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by gfowle »

juliamenez wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 11:02 I wonder if this is strategic on the author's part, where the character is just mentioned to establish a presence in book 1, and then will be more integral to the plot in the sequels.
I agree with this as well. Vala is a character who could become very important in the next book, and perhaps the little we know about her will prove to be important to the continuation of the plot.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

DC Brown wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 00:22 Love this train of thought. When I read the book I felt the author had written Vala off as unimportant, nearly invisible. Now I wonder if she could hold her own against the Romans!??!
I think that Vala could totally hand those guys their butts. Perhaps she does end up with a love interest in the camps. Hopefully she will be fully explored in another book.

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”