Official Review: Generating Business Referrals Without As...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Generating Business Referrals Without As...

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Generating Business Referrals Without Asking" by Stacey Brown Randall.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As a business owner, do you feel manipulative or inauthentic when you attempt to increase client referrals by following the advice from the so-called experts? As a consumer, do you cringe and look for the door when someone asks you for a business referral? Business coach and author, Stacey Brown Randall explains why the age-old practices aren't effective in her book, Generating Business Referrals Without Asking: A Simple 5 Step Plan to Referral Explosion. She equips readers with the tactics, tools, and processes to generate referrals and gain results--without asking.

After Randall's first business failed, she knew it was time for a change. She believed generating new clients through referrals to be the easiest way to grow a business, but the conventional "just ask" method of seeking referrals wasn't working. After reflecting on her business failure, Randall realized that she had failed to implement a system that worked for her personally. Stepping away from the experts' advice, she devised a plan based on trust-based relationships and connections. By following her new philosophy, she has been able to generate over a hundred new clients year after year, and her clients have experienced similar results.

What I like most about this concise information-packed book is the author's upbeat and conversational writing style as she teaches her 5 step plan. In addition to providing detailed steps that challenge a "that's the way we've always done it" philosophy, she also thoroughly explains why conventional methods fail. Readers are encouraged to shift their thinking to adopt a more effective strategy. In addition to learning how to increase referral success, equally important, the reader learns what not to do, as well. Additionally, most chapters conclude with a link to the author's cheat sheets for additional information on the discussed topics found on her website.

Some of the clients Randall works with are realtors, attorneys, and financial firms. Though not everything in her process applies to all businesses, generating referrals is key. I appreciated her suggestions for showing gratitude to existing clients and referral sources whom she refers to as the heroes of the process. As a small business owner myself, I identified some simple changes I can implement without any added expense. For example, sending handwritten thank-you notes is an effective and inexpensive way to convey to clients that you value them. The author stresses that thank-you emails or eCards don't have the same impact, and I agree.

The book was professionally edited as I noted only one error. Otherwise, I can't think of any improvements that are needed. I'm pleased to rate this informative resource book 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to business owners who want to increase their referrals. It would also be a helpful resource for readers who are considering starting a business.

Generating Business Referrals Without Asking
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This seems like a proven method. It worked for the author, so it could very well work for someone else. I don't have any use for this at the moment, but I will keep it in mind.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 19:18 This seems like a proven method. It worked for the author, so it could very well work for someone else. I don't have any use for this at the moment, but I will keep it in mind.
Thank you for your comment.
Kash203
Currently Reading: Toxic Side Effect
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Kash203 »

It's a great book with a good topic. And really help person who are interested.
faheemwasaya
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by faheemwasaya »

some of the parts telling me this is great and some of the parts is telling me this is only happening in imaginary life it's not a reality honestly some point I bored and some point I learned something new so in my "this is normal"
I hope you don't mind it. thank you
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

This seems like a resourceful book for business owners. However, I am not the target audience so, i will give it a pass. Thanks for the review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Kash203 wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 21:24 It's a great book with a good topic. And really help person who are interested.
Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

faheemwasaya wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 21:39 some of the parts telling me this is great and some of the parts is telling me this is only happening in imaginary life it's not a reality honestly some point I bored and some point I learned something new so in my "this is normal"
I hope you don't mind it. thank you
Thanks for commenting.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 22:40 This seems like a resourceful book for business owners. However, I am not the target audience so, i will give it a pass. Thanks for the review!
Thank you.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

You were describing me in your first paragraph! Marketing is really challenging for most small businesses. I am no exception. I love the idea of a softer sell in terms of generating referrals. Thanks for the thorough introduction to the book.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Interesting book. I just can't read this type of book ( I guess since I don't own my own business) but it does sound very well done. I appreciate your review and some of the key ideas you pointed out.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Eva Darrington wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 21:29 You were describing me in your first paragraph! Marketing is really challenging for most small businesses. I am no exception. I love the idea of a softer sell in terms of generating referrals. Thanks for the thorough introduction to the book.
Me too, Eva! Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

jcoad wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 22:15 Interesting book. I just can't read this type of book ( I guess since I don't own my own business) but it does sound very well done. I appreciate your review and some of the key ideas you pointed out.
Thanks for stopping by and for your comment.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Interesting. The thought of people asking me for referrals makes me cringe. Unless I've built up a bit of a relationship. I'd be interested to find out what she has to teach that's new :)
I love reading your reviews - thanks so much!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Bianka Walter wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 08:16 Interesting. The thought of people asking me for referrals makes me cringe. Unless I've built up a bit of a relationship. I'd be interested to find out what she has to teach that's new :)
I love reading your reviews - thanks so much!
I agree! Thank you, Bianka.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”