Review by Farmgurl1 -- Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Miss_BeckyG
Currently Reading: Behind Broken Glass Walls
Bookshelf Size: 1129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-beckyg.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Re: Review by Farmgurl1 -- Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

Post by Miss_BeckyG »

Jennifer Burns sets out in this crime thriller to uncover her father's murderer. The story has interesting twists that the reader doesn't see coming. Find unexpected humour between Jennifer and her mother to spice up the story. A superb work of literature.
“ Ego says, "Once everything falls into place, I'll feel peace." Spirit says "Find your peace, and then everything will fall into place." ”
Marianne Williamson
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

This book seems to have everything it takes to be a good read. Suspence, twists, humor and likeable characters. The entertaining dialogues between Jennifer and her mother really seem to add a lot to this book.
Berry :wine:
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

Farmgurl1 wrote: 14 May 2018, 08:53 The book is about a very dark subject but is written in a very light-hearted way. The characters in the book are so much fun and the author does a great job of making all of the characters likable and real. Jennifer and her best friend, Kat, really have doubts about the innocence of Jennifer’s mother, and the author does a great job of making this a funny dialogue between the two women. They both agree that she definitely had motive after 20 years of her husband’s infidelity. Jennifer and Kat are both hilarious as they come up with different schemes to unmask the true killer. I found myself laughing out loud several times throughout the book.

The only thing I really didn’t like about the book was I thought Jennifer’s level of involvement in the official police investigation seemed very unlikely. If she were just investigating everything on her own and the police weren’t actually asking her to help with the investigation, it would have been more believable.
Thank you for your insightful review. I love books that make me laugh out loud. As you said, Jennifer's level of involvement in the official investigation seemed unlikely. I think much of the beginning is very unlikely. Unlike on TV or in the movies, people do not ride in the back of the ambulance with a patient and there is no way Jennifer would be able to just wander around the hospital looking for her father, no less be able to be so close to the patient in the hospital while the doctor is doing an examination. At least not in my experience. I guess that's why it's called fiction. However, It sounds like a good book with a fun plot. I may just have to give it a go.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
Sanyesto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanyesto.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Sanyesto »

A crime thriller about the life of Jennifer Burns and her plight to uncover the truth about her father’s death. This is a book with a very dark subject but written in a simple way. The characters used are so much likable and fun to read on. A humorous book with family secrets, murder, and infidelity.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I will definitely want to read this book. Love the premise and the lighthearted tone used by the author. It would be annoying to me that the whole investigation and hospital access situations were not handled realistically. But, I could overlook it for what sounds like a well crafted book. Thanks for the great review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

An interesting review. A definite add to my to-read list, you can hardly go wrong with a crime thriller that has has fun and hilarity. Congrats to the author on #BOTD
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

Thorough review... The book is indeed intriguing. A story fool of secrets, I can't wait to get to the bottom of the family secrets.
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

This seems like a fantastic book. Maybe it was sound a bit strange, but I enjoy books in which children find out that their parents are leading some kind of hidden lives or have dark secrets. It adds so much drama and suspense. I always enjoy a great thriller. Thank you for the review.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Mary WhiteFace
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

I don't usually go for murder mysteries, but your review has convinced me to give it a try. I like the idea that there is humor in the narrative, and that the characters seem likable. I'm curious to see what the schemes are that Jennifer and Kat have devised.

Great review. You've convinced me that I might actually like it. 💕
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ijeoma-kikelomo.html
Latest Review: Visions of Prosetry, Collector's Edition II by Vèè Nelly

Post by Ijeoma Kikelomo »

I must say the official book club review of this book is really solid. I like the plot and it promises to be a great read.
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

A humorous murder mystery? That's new. I'm really looking forward to reading the scenarios Jennifer and Kat came up with to try to unmask the killer.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Thanks for this review as it gives insight into this book from a different perspective. I have already read this book. The story was a crime thriller about the life of protagonist Jennifer and her plight to uncover the truth about the killer of her father. The book was quite captivating so that i finished reading it in one go.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
mayaellenson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayaellenson.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by mayaellenson »

Thank you for the detailed review. I like the twisted plot of the book and Jennifer's character. It appears it's a really fun read for enthusiasts of a good crime novel.
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

Very interesting plot! I didn't expect a mystery book that includes a murder to be "hilarious" and "funny". This makes it even more interesting to me. I think I will start with the first book though because it would help me understand the characters. Thank you for your review I loved the way you presented the main plot.
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
bellaterrabooks
Currently Reading: On the Rez
Bookshelf Size: 256
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellaterrabooks.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by bellaterrabooks »

The subject of poisoning and murder is commonly a dark subject, but for the sounds of it, this author has approached this idea with a side of humor. Furthermore, the discussion of mariticide is particularly ominous due to the strong love between the two individuals and the emotional bonds therein. By creating characters that are endearing to the reader, the aforementioned is engaged in the story and drawn into the narrative. The reader feels compelled to root on the protagonist in her investigative endeavors. While crime novels are not my genre of choice, this novel appears to be riveting given its undercurrent of humor and humanity.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”