Religion and beliefs

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Religion and beliefs

Post by lesler »

I thought the Gods and Goddesses were fun. I loved when the characters would exclaim "my gods."
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Don Pwai wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 00:22 I do not think there are societies that still believe in gods and goddesses. They are a things of the past. There is only one supreme being.
I agree with you about only one supreme being, but I think you are severely mistaken to believe that others believing in more than one god is a thing of the past.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

lesler wrote: 10 Sep 2018, 22:14 I thought the Gods and Goddesses were fun. I loved when the characters would exclaim "my gods."
Haha, I also enjoy that aspect of books where the characters belong to polytheistic religions. It always gives me a bit of a chuckle.
ShareTheGift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharethegift.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by ShareTheGift »

I thought it was I treating that the author used the word "cathos" which typically relates to Catholics. The dtatement from her father was "Do not let this cathos control you? You must find the strength to balance your rage with love, loyalty, and sacrifice to become a great queen? Catholic really doesn't fit. Anyone have an idea what she was aiming for, "vision" perhaps?
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

ShareTheGift wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 18:03 I thought it was I treating that the author used the word "cathos" which typically relates to Catholics. The dtatement from her father was "Do not let this cathos control you? You must find the strength to balance your rage with love, loyalty, and sacrifice to become a great queen? Catholic really doesn't fit. Anyone have an idea what she was aiming for, "vision" perhaps?
I think the author explains this on p. 374: "Cathos" means detestation or hatred in the ancient Celtic language. Amren was encouraging Catrin to control her negative feelings of hate and anger. That would fit with the Celtic usage of 'cathos.'
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

CommMayo wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 11:16 To me, it felt as if there really were no gods or goddesses, just everyday people pretending to interpret messages from their gods. While there were elements of mysticism, I never got the feeling that actual gods were at play shaping the destiny of the characters.
Yes. True. The roles of the gods as portrayed in this book just shows the massive deception of people by so called oracles. I don't believe in gods because they are mere strongholds that exists only in the minds of their followers, even though there were mystical powers in the story.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

In the times as depicted in the story of this book, the people might have had complete faith in gods and goddesses and believed that every thing from fertility, crops and peace was gift from gods and goddesses.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
KMSingh
Favorite Book: Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmsingh.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by KMSingh »

CommMayo wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 11:16 To me, it felt as if there really were no gods or goddesses, just everyday people pretending to interpret messages from their gods. While there were elements of mysticism, I never got the feeling that actual gods were at play shaping the destiny of the characters.
I think you're right about that. Though I think Tanner did a pretty good job of creating the world her characters inhabited, the gods themselves didn't feel connected. I mean, I'm not a fan of the whole goddess myth thing, but I was willing to suspend my disbelief for the sake of the story. But now that you mention it that aspect could have been better developed. In fact, there were times I got the impression that she wrote "for the love of God" and then changed it to "for the love of gods". It was awkward.
Kate S.

My only addiction is books.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

The interpretation of the God's and Goddesses was well done. We got to see how things were going to affect both sides of the equation.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

sanjus wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 02:31 In the times as depicted in the story of this book, the people might have had complete faith in gods and goddesses and believed that every thing from fertility, crops and peace was gift from gods and goddesses.
If you ask me, it isn't that different from this day and age. After any disaster, accident, or generally bad thing that happens my Facebook feed is full of nothing but "thoughts and prayers". As if people believe that actually accomplishes anything. I don't think we have really come that far from having complete faith in a mystical hand guiding our lives.
Rodrigo Niguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodrigo-niguez.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Rodrigo Niguez »

I think the people of the ancient world believed so much in gods and goddesses. I think thise gods were powerful and worked wonders in their lives then.
Kgaelsdottir
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kgaelsdottir.html
Latest Review: Final Report by Jeff Shear

Post by Kgaelsdottir »

Your comment helps make me want to read the book even more now...do you think it was intentional on the author's part to have it be cursory, or do you think it was about not really delving too much into the mystical aspects of the spirituality?
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

Kgaelsdottir wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 19:52 Your comment helps make me want to read the book even more now...do you think it was intentional on the author's part to have it be cursory, or do you think it was about not really delving too much into the mystical aspects of the spirituality?
I think it was totally intentional. It shows how rulers used the beliefs of their people to keep them under control. There is a scene in the beginning where the king tells the mystic how to interpret an omen from the gods so the villagers are appeased.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

JuliaKay wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 16:07 In ancient times, every aspect of life was ruled by the Gods. Fertility, crops, life and death, etcetera. So I think this book accurately portrayed it.
Good point. Ancient times were all about the worship of gods and goddesses for virtually every facet of human life.
pathiyilprasanthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pathiyilprasanthi.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by pathiyilprasanthi »

I would like to say that if you believe in the existence of Gods, then they are present and if you believe otherwise, that is true too. Everything is an illusion. Just imagine our lives without any ray of hope and so if we believe that there is a supernatural power which can save us and if we abide by certain rules we might be able to cross the ocean called "life" without much turbulence. Rules are necessary since the only discipline can tame an anxious mind. Thus it is easy to lead a beautiful life just by believing that there is God. In Hinduism, it is said that each and every person is God. It might take a lot of enlightenment to understand this concept.

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”