Maria and the Psychiatrist- spilers

Discuss the May 2016 Book of the Month, Save the Last Bullet for God by JT Alblood.

View Save the Last Bullet for God on Bookshelves

View Save the Last Bullet for God on Amazon
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Maria and the Psychiatrist- spilers

Post by gali »

What did you think about the relationship between the two? About the violent escape scene, the passing drugs to an addict which results in his death, the killing of the elder patient, and the fact that the protagonist wasn't punished for his acts?
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

I think it is a great thing the author has the power to do whatever they want to the characters. And all we can do is read it. Although we can dislike it. This is why I love books so very much. Power to the author.
Rhoe_Marrow
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhoe-marrow.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Rhoe_Marrow »

Vermont Reviews wrote:I think it is a great thing the author has the power to do whatever they want to the characters. And all we can do is read it. Although we can dislike it. This is why I love books so very much. Power to the author.
However if the author abuses his power it can make the story appear unrealistic and not sway the reader. I've read a couple of books that I have written off as 'cheesy' because the author decided to add everything but the kitchen sink in their books. Or how about when young authors make their characters 'invincible'?
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by gaporter »

I didn't particularly care for the fact that the psychiatrist had no punishment for his part in the Maria's escape or, even prior to that, his relationship with her as his patient. Maybe given the time in history it would have been harder to trace his part in the addicts death and the drug smuggling, but it still seems strange to me that he would be allowed to continue to pursue a career in medicine after the fiasco.
gali

Post by gali »

gaporter wrote:I didn't particularly care for the fact that the psychiatrist had no punishment for his part in the Maria's escape or, even prior to that, his relationship with her as his patient. Maybe given the time in history it would have been harder to trace his part in the addicts death and the drug smuggling, but it still seems strange to me that he would be allowed to continue to pursue a career in medicine after the fiasco.
I found that odd as well.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>

This is what I love about the forums. We all get to express our opinions. We can agree to disagree.
Rhoe_Marrow

Post by Rhoe_Marrow »

I thought it was a little funny that he got played. The horrible part about it was that people were hurt through out the process. I blame the head psychiatrist in all this. He went on about all his years of experience, knew full well what this guy was going and then responded so mildly. it was odd.
gaporter
Currently Reading:

Post by gaporter »

Rhoe_Marrow wrote:I thought it was a little funny that he got played. The horrible part about it was that people were hurt through out the process. I blame the head psychiatrist in all this. He went on about all his years of experience, knew full well what this guy was going and then responded so mildly. it was odd.
I think that some of it could be attributed to the time period as mental hospitals were not exactly known to be the most safe and pleasant places to be back then. By today's standards, if a supervisor knew about an inappropriate relationship between a nurse and a patient, that nurse would be out of there so fast and the supervisor may even be liable as well. There didn't appear to be much oversight of the nurses or the psychiatrists in this hospital.
Rhoe_Marrow

Post by Rhoe_Marrow »

gaporter wrote:
Rhoe_Marrow wrote:I thought it was a little funny that he got played. The horrible part about it was that people were hurt through out the process. I blame the head psychiatrist in all this. He went on about all his years of experience, knew full well what this guy was going and then responded so mildly. it was odd.
I think that some of it could be attributed to the time period as mental hospitals were not exactly known to be the most safe and pleasant places to be back then. By today's standards, if a supervisor knew about an inappropriate relationship between a nurse and a patient, that nurse would be out of there so fast and the supervisor may even be liable as well. There didn't appear to be much oversight of the nurses or the psychiatrists in this hospital.
The main guy also made a good point when he told the doctor that him sticking to his original diagnosis contributed to all the mayhem. Maybe there is a part of the doctor that felt the same way and, because of this, chose not to punish the med student.
gaporter
Currently Reading:

Post by gaporter »

That's a good point. He wouldn't want himself to be investigated, would he?
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

I found the relationship with the patient much more disturbing than the passing of drugs to an addict. Both are bad behaviors, but the former seems like more of a violation of trust than the latter. Plotwise, I was not all that bothered by the lack of immediate and obvious punishment. The doctor appeared to be avoiding paperwork, which is an understandable motive, and our psychiatrist was punished in a more karmic sense later in life when he realized that he was only a tool. I can't admire these characters, but I think I understand them.
gali

Post by gali »

L_Therese wrote:I found the relationship with the patient much more disturbing than the passing of drugs to an addict. Both are bad behaviors, but the former seems like more of a violation of trust than the latter. Plotwise, I was not all that bothered by the lack of immediate and obvious punishment. The doctor appeared to be avoiding paperwork, which is an understandable motive, and our psychiatrist was punished in a more karmic sense later in life when he realized that he was only a tool. I can't admire these characters, but I think I understand them.
I found the relationship with the patient disturbing as well.

A good point about the Karma.
A retired Admin/Mod

Vermont Reviews

I love all the discussion about the book this month.
gaporter
Currently Reading:

Post by gaporter »

L_Therese wrote:I found the relationship with the patient much more disturbing than the passing of drugs to an addict. Both are bad behaviors, but the former seems like more of a violation of trust than the latter. Plotwise, I was not all that bothered by the lack of immediate and obvious punishment. The doctor appeared to be avoiding paperwork, which is an understandable motive, and our psychiatrist was punished in a more karmic sense later in life when he realized that he was only a tool. I can't admire these characters, but I think I understand them.
I agree that the relationship seems worse than passing the drugs. A patient in a mental hospital cannot legally consent, I believe. It also didn't seem to be too much reciprocated. He appeared in her room with flowers and there wasn't much she could really do about the situation. He kind of imposed himself on her, though she did have her wits collected enough to make use of the situation.
tortoise keeper
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tortoise-keeper.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Reading Device: B0192AFG7A

Post by tortoise keeper »

I agree. Psychiatric hospitals were pretty scary during the time period in the story especially since there were few medications and effective treatments. I doubt there was as much attention paid to appropriate staff/patient relationships either. Having worked in several mental health facilities over the last 20 years that kind of behavior would not be tolerated today.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Return to “"Save the Last Bullet for God" by JT Alblood”