Official Review: Mystified By Stephanie by Daniel A. Shea

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Official Review: Mystified By Stephanie by Daniel A. Shea

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mystified By Stephanie" by Daniel A. Shea.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mystified By Stephanie by Daniel A. Shea is a screenplay following the story’s protagonist, Dan—talented, though mostly deaf and facing adversity—from childhood to his rocky involvement with the military. Hopping through grade school, lip-reading lessons, and basic training, Dan and his friends, later to include his deranged girlfriend, Stephanie, find themselves living their most interesting lives.

The first couple of things I noticed about Mystified By Stephanie were the visually striking cover and that Daniel A. Shea, starting the story’s action off with a high-speed car chase gone wrong, had written himself into the story. I initially found this intriguing and soon found myself enjoying Shea’s method of storytelling—humor so ridiculous it could only be featured in cheesy, slow motion, perfect-song-for-the-occasion comedies; which I read often in the story. I felt that the song lyrics, during most scenes, added flavor where I felt it lacking, as did the array of personal and historical pictures/document scans scattered about the screenplay, reminding me of a photo album with interesting captions. Additionally, I found most scenes very easy to envision (thanks to the dialogue, not the stage directions) and that the story’s main characters—Dan, his best friend, Nicky, and Dan’s girlfriend, Stephanie—were well-depicted and entertaining.

Though, I was more massively frustrated throughout my reading by the lack of punctuation, grammar, and spelling correctness impairing my ability to read, enjoy, and understand the plotline. For instance, I encountered Shea’s first spelling mistake on the second page, and this problem ballooned from page three until the book’s close. I had, at first, let the lack of punctuation “slide” as reading was slow-going, but still understandable. However, I began to thirst for an edited version of the screenplay when I read, on page 13: “…ventriloquist trick of sort Japanese versions of the Godzilla movies actors mouths don’t match the words they’re saying.” As well as another extreme case on page 43, which read: “The unique painting the van is very is to identify.”

Along with my loose opinions that some comedic elements of the screenplay could have been stronger and the ending more understandable, other factors that further agitated me were Shea's repetition of words as well as pictures (so, inserting them out of context); making no indication of “speaker” over several blocks of dialogue; very frequently mis-formatting both stage directions and song lyrics (ex. missing brackets, sometimes written in lowercase letters like dialogue, etc.) which often made external action bleed confusingly into the dialogue; among several other things.

Finally, I was most concerned with whether the story was fictional or not. Shea’s introduction categorized the book under fiction, and yet, the characters, events, pictures, and document scans were all real enough to blur whatever fictional scenes there may have been. While there were certainly scenes that I doubted were real, the occasional pronoun slip-up—rather than the third person ‘Dan’ or ‘he’, Shea sometimes wrote ‘me,’ ‘we,’ ‘us,’ and ‘I’—reinforced the fact that the screenplay was rather closely based off Shea’s personal experiences and wasn’t as strictly fictional as he had insisted.

This uncertainty greatly aggravated me while I read, leading me to a final rating of 1 out of 4 stars for this book. While the plot was unique and generally entertaining, Mystified By Stephanie suffered under its commanding lack of editing. I would loosely recommend this book to film enthusiasts looking for a comedic screenplay hoping to find its way to the big screen.

Mystified By Stephanie
View: on Bookshelves

Like Tamorie21's review? Post a comment saying so!
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like this has some intriguing points to it. However, I'm not sure I'd be able to understand it with all the issues that you mention. Even the example sentences gave me a headache trying to figure them out. Hopefully the author can clean this up. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Rose Harebate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate »

I was interested in the humor of the book until I read the downsides. Might give a second glance once edited. Thanks for a helpful review.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

kandscreeley wrote: 14 Feb 2019, 09:00 It sounds like this has some intriguing points to it. However, I'm not sure I'd be able to understand it with all the issues that you mention. Even the example sentences gave me a headache trying to figure them out. Hopefully the author can clean this up. Thanks.
Honestly, it was a chore to read. I enjoyed the story at a base level, but I couldn't really get into it after the trouble I had with reading it. I started to expect misspelled words/jumbled sentences on each page, focusing on that more than the story itself! I, too, would like to see how the story would change with better editing.
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

Rose Harebate wrote: 14 Feb 2019, 09:49 I was interested in the humor of the book until I read the downsides. Might give a second glance once edited. Thanks for a helpful review.
The book really was humourous in most places, as comedy movies generally are. I even had a couple full pages marked, "Hilarious!" But, yes, it certainly wasn't enough considering the downsides. Thank you for reading :)
StephieB12
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by StephieB12 »

Read this cause I have the same name and found myself so into the book. Absolutely hilarious!!
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

StephieB12 wrote: 15 Feb 2019, 01:37 Read this cause I have the same name and found myself so into the book. Absolutely hilarious!!
I also thought the book was very funny in most scenes (there were other scenes that I, personally, thought were overdone and not understandable)! Shea is a very humorous author. I just couldn't get past the array of mistakes. Also, I hope you're nothing like the Stephanie in the book :lol2:
linham02660
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linham02660.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by linham02660 »

I can appreciate a humorous book if I can actually read them. Thanks for your honest review.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

Thanks so much for this review. It's a shame the editing was so poor that you felt the need to give it only 1 star despite enjoying the plot. Personally, books (or stories or movies) in which the main character is the author writing himself in can also annoy me.
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

linham02660 wrote: 16 Feb 2019, 13:25 I can appreciate a humorous book if I can actually read them. Thanks for your honest review.
I should have also mentioned that Shea was just recovering from a coma when he wrote the screenplay, however, I still can't excuse the blatant lack of editing. It's a shame, really. Thanks for taking the time to read!
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: 16 Feb 2019, 16:45 Thanks so much for this review. It's a shame the editing was so poor that you felt the need to give it only 1 star despite enjoying the plot. Personally, books (or stories or movies) in which the main character is the author writing himself in can also annoy me.
Yeah, I was really juggling the 1 or 2 stars, but my aggravation toward the errors beat out a better rating. I don't think I've ever encountered a fictional book/movie in which the author was the main character (aside from a memoir or a biography) and this was something that confused me when I went into reading it. Seriously difficult for me to separate fact from fiction, here. Thanks for reading and leaving a comment :)
Upphilan Paul
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-upphilan-paul.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Upphilan Paul »

This is a captivating and mind-hacking read with a compelling review and I long to read this book and see what you've read. I am not a lover of graphic novels but I'll read this book.
I like your review. Good job.

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”