Review of Criss Cross

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alex Reeves
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Magnets
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-reeves.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
fav_author_id: 77547

Review of Criss Cross

Post by Alex Reeves »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Criss Cross" by V.M. Crowbert.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

According to this novel, in the near future, precisely in 2082, a virus known as the Cooties virus will cause an epidemic, infecting people and turning them into horrible monsters called Kannibals. Criss Cross by V.M. Crowbert is a graphic novel that illustrates this period, where a neurologist, Dr. Neil Good, is summoned by special forces to create a cure for the virus. The supernova commander, Philips Eon, is sent to retrieve the renowned doctor from his hospital, Doctor Hospital, where several kannibals have been let loose. After warding off a few hungry kannibals, they set out for the supernova headquarters with two others: Dalia Grinns, a normal human, and her kannibal baby. Unknown to the rest of the trio, Dalia's baby is a kannibal, as is her father, whom they kill while trying to escape from the hospital. Their journey is lengthy, as they are met by more aggressive monsters who hope to eat them alive. Will the supernova commander succeed in his quest to bring the scientist to HQ, or will the despicable Kannibals use their brains for breakfast before they get to their destination? Check out this enthralling read to find out.

This book is the first in its series, and it only describes the journey of commander Eon Philips, Dr. Neil Good, and Dalia Grinns to the supernova headquarters. The butchering of certain kannibals is highly described, and although some of the descriptions made me cringe, I was impressed with the illustrations. Eon Philips is a robot who is sent to retrieve Dr. Good despite the cost. The drawings were highly descriptive, though they had some disadvantages. The conversations were short, as the book conveyed its message with its unique black-and-white drawing. I certainly enjoyed reading it, as comic books never fail to delight me. Do yourself a favor and check it out.

On the other hand, I must confess that the black-and-white illustrations gave the book an eerie feeling, and this was somewhat creepy with its gruesome descriptions of blood and violence. The kannibals were thorough with their meals, as they ate captive humans whole and alive. I disapprove of the colors used in this book, as I expected a highly graphic design such as the one on the cover. The book was very short, and I was disappointed to realize that it only covered the journey from the hospital to an unknown location. These, however, are the few aspects that I found disturbing.

This graphic novel was exceptionally well edited, as I found no errors in it. However, certain features, such as the color, the messy language, and the length, drastically reduced my liking of this book. Hence, I rate it 3 out of 5 stars, as those areas mentioned above should, from my standpoint, be worked on to earn it a perfect rating.

Lovers of comics, robots, action, horror, and sci-fi are certainly advised to get a copy of this fascinating novel. If you're one of them, what are you doing today?

Criss Cross
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted to bear.”
Marcus Aurelius :tiphat:

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”