Official Review: Memories of an Eighty Year Old Man

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: Memories of an Eighty Year Old Man

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Memories of an Eighty Year Old Man" by LeRoy D. “Lee” Meyer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Memories of an Eighty Year Old Man by LeRoy D. “Lee” Meyer is a compilation of the author’s articles in newspaper columns. Some years ago, the author, a retired cross-country truck driver, was offered a job by one of his friends to write a column for his weekly newspaper in Minnesota. And due to how people liked his column, he started writing for other newspapers too. His articles are mostly about his memories of growing up, sports activities back in the days, experiences as a truck driver, and life in general. He intends to share the articles featured in his columns with readers through this book.

Firstly, this author is a remarkable sports lover. Be it school or professional sports, his passion is evident. I enjoyed how passionate he was in describing the games he either physically attended or listened to over the radio. Unfortunately, the author is not a fan of the sport I like. It would have been nice to learn what he knows about my favorite sport.

What I like the most about this book is its richness in life lessons. In some of the featured articles, which are in separate chapters, the author teaches us about humility and keeping our egos in check. He also tells us why it is necessary to really know someone before concluding about the life they lead. More so, I found some of the featured stories to be very inspiring. My favorite is the one about Joe Sorrentino, whose life is an example of why we should never give up on our dreams despite our present predicaments.

Furthermore, I like that the author always talked about his wife with love and respect. They attended games together, which is a beautiful thing. Also, the author has a great sense of humor, and he got me laughing out loud at some of his narrations.

Nevertheless, I must report that there were things that I disliked about the book. It was frustrating to reread some sentences before understanding them because of missing commas. I see this style in some non-fiction books, and I am not a fan of it. Also, I found many errors in the book. Considering that it has only 122 pages, I expected the editing to be excellent. So another round of proofreading is most welcome.

In conclusion, I am rating Memories of an Eighty Year Old Man 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed reading the book, but the errors and missing commas made it lose a star. And considering that the pros outweigh the cons by far, it surely deserves more than two stars. I recommend this book to readers interested in knowing about the good old days in America and learning life lessons from a zealous octogenarian who is very passionate about sports.

Memories of an Eighty Year Old Man
View: on Bookshelves
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I am not a big fan of memoirs, but it seems like an interesting read. Thank you for your entertaining review!
Heidadela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidadela.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Heidadela »

This sounds like a well of life lessons. From experience, I did not know truck drivers also have the spare time to read or write. I am drawn to this book owing to your amazing review. Thank you and congratulations.
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

I would love to read this book soonest because of its fantastic content. Great job
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

This is not a book I would enjoy, although I admire the author's effort to make this compilation at his age.
Joy Phill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-phill.html
Latest Review: Megan and the Broken Snowflake Factory by Karla Ridpath

Post by Joy Phill »

Humility and keeping our egos in check is the way to go! I'm adding this book to my want-to-read list. Thanks for a detailed review.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Although this sounds like a beautiful book, I think I will pass on it. Thank you for sharing the review though. I enjoyed reading it, as usual.
Alheotuci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alheotuci.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by Alheotuci »

This seems like a book that I would want to read.
Thanks for a detailed review!
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

A trip down memory lane for the author and a new reading experience for the reader. Good review!
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I hope the author can fix some of the errors you’ve mentioned because it sounds like an interesting collection of his articles. Thanks for the great review

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”