Official Review: chip 1 by jens pindal

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Official Review: chip 1 by jens pindal

Post by HannahsReads »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "chip 1" by jens pindal.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Chip! is a comic book by author/illustrator Jens Pindal. This collection of humorous comic strips presents the interactions between Chip and his imaginary friend, Zort. Most of the comic strips are three or four panels long. Each one ends with a sarcastic punch line or image.

Humor is a very subjective thing. I enjoyed most of the short, silly, and highly visual jokes in these comic strips. For example, Chip and Zort discuss the difference between being in a rut and being in a groove on page 12. Zort decides that ruts are bad and grooves are good. “What am I in?” Chip asks. Zort responds, “you’re in a cheap comic strip.” This joke encapsulates the general style of the sarcastic humor in this comic book (though I can’t recreate the funny illustrations for you). The illustrator does an excellent job conveying emotion through the character’s expressions and movements. I enjoyed the neon color palate. I also liked Chip’s expressive face; his facial expressions reminded me of Dennis the Menace (who also sported freckles and childish enthusiasm). I also liked the instances when Chip breaks the border of a panel as the punchline of a joke.

My only real concern while reading this amusing comic book is that I am not sure what audience it is appropriate for. Adult readers may find it entertaining; however, Chip is a young character. This leads me to believe that the author meant this comic strip for a younger audience. I think middle-school readers would enjoy much of the humor. Unfortunately, the use of profanity, jokes about alcohol and smoking, and the presence of sexual images make the content of some of the comics inappropriate for young readers. The author also includes one comic strip that makes an off-color joke about Adolf Hitler that I found mildly offensive. However, I do realize that comedy is often funny because it balances precariously on the wire-thin border between being witty and being offensive.

I would recommend Chip! to readers who enjoy the Calvin and Hobbes comic strips. The style of humor is not exactly the same; however, the idea of a boy trying to understand the world with the help of an imaginary friend will resonate with readers who grew up with the world’s favorite imaginary tiger. Sensitive readers may be offended by the mild sexual references and use of profanity in this comic book.

The illustrations in this collection of comic strips are vivid and engaging. I enjoyed most of the humor. However, I question what audience this material is best suited to. I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars.

chip 1
View: on Bookshelves
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

Quite an unusual book. I understand how awkward the profanities and sexual references would be. Thanks for your review.
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

The cover image would have made one believe the book is suitable for the younger audience but considering the sexual contents and the smoking they would think otherwise.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
duskdawn09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by duskdawn09 »

This seems to be a very strange book. The use of profanity and such in a children's book is disturbing. Great review nonetheless.
~Dawn :tiphat: ~
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

I can see why you would be confused about the audience for this book. The cover with Chip and the robot (or what looks to be a robot) indicates that it is a kid's book. However, the sexual content within it means that it is not intended for kids. I will be steering clear of it but thanks for the great review. :tiphat:
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

I sometimes don't find comics funny, so I would be skipping this one. I think it was meant for adult readers only as they find it humorously silly coming from a child.

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”