Your opinion on LGBT novels and comic books?

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Hot Potato by Marty Katz

Re: Your opinion on LGBT novels and comic books?

Post by Mayang Bature »

No matter the kind of story, I have no problem with it as long as it's well written
TheBlueRaven
Favorite Book: The Steppenwolf
Currently Reading: Contact
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theblueraven.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by TheBlueRaven »

Sexual orientation is absolutely irrelevant, personally I think it is just like if someone has brown hair or blue, or a character can use magic or other can fly. It does not matter, and what I find absolutely nuts is the intense focus to put a label onto everything now and make it a trend, when it should be just a natural think.... but hey, some people throw rocks at me for this opinion sometimes xD
Omobolanle Shittu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-shittu.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Omobolanle Shittu »

I have no issues with LGBT+ content in books, I only would prefer if the author try not to shove it in the face of the reader especially if the story is not revolving around sexualities.
Jack King
Favorite Book: Specter of the Past
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-king.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jack King »

Same as with any fiction work, if the characters are well written and believable in their own universe and are there on merit not to fill quotas then they are and can be very enjoyable. Creating a character for the sole purpose of ticking a diversity box and giving them no depth or quality to work with makes for bad fiction and bad characters.
Mutuma Clare
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutuma-clare.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Mutuma Clare »

Am not a fan of erotica but I would not discriminate based on sexual preference.
Jack King
Favorite Book: Specter of the Past
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-king.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jack King »

Same as with any fiction work, if the characters are well written and believable in their own universe and are there on merit not to fill quotas then they are and can be very enjoyable. Creating a character for the sole purpose of ticking a diversity box and giving them no depth or quality to work with makes for bad fiction and bad characters.
We've longed to see the roses, but never felt the thorns
And bought our pretty crowns, but never paid the price
Find me in the river, find me there
Find me on my knees with my soul laid bare
Ben Madeley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

Sou Hi wrote: 19 Jul 2020, 23:15 Hi guys, LGBT is becoming more and more widely accepted all over the world, but how do you feel when you read a novel and/or comic book/manga about that? We're talking about the 2D version here. Is it the same as hetero works for you, or does it gross you out?

As for me, it's not quite abnormal. Rather, I would enjoy it if it's well-created. Unfortunately, the Western countries do not have many books of this topic, despite their consent of same-sex marriage. It seems Japan, Korea and China are those that produce the most popular works.
Do you know any that you could suggest reading, I've never come across any, but I'd be curious to try and see what I think. I think it would just need to be well written to be honest.
Chrystal Paris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-paris.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Post by Chrystal Paris »

I personally don't cringe at the thought of LGBTQ+ community. So it's not like gross or something. I would like a book in that genre

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”