Your opinion on LGBT novels and comic books?

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Your opinion on LGBT novels and comic books?

Post by Sou Hi »

Hi guys, LGBT is becoming more and more widely accepted all over the world, but how do you feel when you read a novel and/or comic book/manga about that? We're talking about the 2D version here. Is it the same as hetero works for you, or does it gross you out?

As for me, it's not quite abnormal. Rather, I would enjoy it if it's well-created. Unfortunately, the Western countries do not have many books of this topic, despite their consent of same-sex marriage. It seems Japan, Korea and China are those that produce the most popular works.
Clavenn
Bookshelf Size: 0
2024 Reading Goal: 469
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Clavenn »

It is quite the same for me, as long as it's well created and I really enjoy reading different stories involved in it. It's quite amusing to me and I really wish that LGBT becomes part of a genre in all platforms. It is quite true that it is rarely seen in that way but I truly hope that it is taken positively worldwide!
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Hi Clavenn, thanks for your reply and nice to know you :). Do you have any favourite author/novel?
a_r_egerton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-r-egerton.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by a_r_egerton »

I have no problems with LGBT characters in comics or anything else. I view homosexual relationships as simply a subset of romance or erotica that just happens to involve characters of the same sex. All I ask is that the writer treat the characters respectfully and be careful with stereotypes.
Luciferbanks

Post by Luciferbanks »

On my perspective I am okay with it but it needs to make sense in the story
SaraHysaro
Currently Reading: Batman
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by SaraHysaro »

I have absolutely no issue with LGBT+ characters within any form of media, regardless of the world or setting. They've always existed, so it's not historically inaccurate to include them anytime and anywhere. That said, for stories within our own world's history it does help to conduct thorough research into the culture and time period of the setting if you want to help the character blend seamlessly into the narrative. Different worlds and histories enable absolute freedom in world-building, which can also be fun to read and write. Just make sure the character's nicely fleshed out and interesting beyond the label and you're good to go!
a_r_egerton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-r-egerton.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by a_r_egerton »

SaraHysaro wrote: 29 Nov 2020, 02:41 I have absolutely no issue with LGBT+ characters within any form of media, regardless of the world or setting. They've always existed, so it's not historically inaccurate to include them anytime and anywhere. That said, for stories within our own world's history it does help to conduct thorough research into the culture and time period of the setting if you want to help the character blend seamlessly into the narrative. Different worlds and histories enable absolute freedom in world-building, which can also be fun to read and write. Just make sure the character's nicely fleshed out and interesting beyond the label and you're good to go!

Homosexuality in a historical setting does have to be handled carefully, for the writer will have to consider the attitudes of the time when telling their story. Some societies, like ancient Greece, accepted homosexuality (at least between men), but many others did not. Societal attitudes will thus affect how open a gay character can be. Gender and social class will also probably make a difference.
SaraHysaro
Currently Reading: Batman

Post by SaraHysaro »

a_r_egerton wrote: 29 Nov 2020, 12:24 Homosexuality in a historical setting does have to be handled carefully, for the writer will have to consider the attitudes of the time when telling their story. Some societies, like ancient Greece, accepted homosexuality (at least between men), but many others did not. Societal attitudes will thus affect how open a gay character can be. Gender and social class will also probably make a difference.
Yep, research is absolutely key if you want your historical fiction to feel real. Sometimes the answer to the question is more nuanced than you would suspect, too, so it's respectful to really read up on it. The nature of the character is also really important, as you've suggested; a gay outlaw trying to overthrow the unjust establishment can be as open as they dang well please, while somebody trying to live peacefully within that oppressive society will need to keep their head down. Rich nobles get their vices swept under the rug, so long as their social standing holds. There's a lot of fun situations to explore.
Last edited by SaraHysaro on 30 Nov 2020, 00:39, edited 1 time in total.
Maesondahl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maesondahl.html
Latest Review: Tales from the Gray Area by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Maesondahl »

I wish there were more stories that just had characters that were part of the LGBTQ community without the whole story revolving around their sexual identity. Not because it isn't important but because they are more than how they sexually identify and sometimes it get frustrating reading a story where one of the characters is the coined LGBTQ person. I think the community deserves better and should be written with the depth they each have as a person.
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Post by TopaAzul062 »

Luciferbanks wrote: 28 Oct 2020, 09:03 On my perspective I am okay with it but it needs to make sense in the story
This. A book was suggested to me because it focused on one of my favorite past times and it contained said content. As habit, I look into the reviews prior to getting the book and the reviews stated repeatedly that none of the details made sense and it felt like things were thrown together.

I've seen LGBT content featured in manga and anime over the years; even previewed a few in this book that documented the history of manga. The most recent-ish non-manga book I read that featured a LGBT couple was Space Battle Lunch Time. Couldn't find book one but the author was kind enough to recap.
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mason Garrod »

It's no different than heterosexual romance, which we have plastered onto almost every story even the core story is nothing to do with romance. I'm glad LGBT themes are becoming more and more common and accepted
Reader Chavez
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reader Chavez »

For me, it's all the same. As long as the plot is good and the characters make sense I'll read it. What I've found is that in some LGBTQ+ comics, the entire story is based on their sexuality instead of other issues, which I don't love.
readlikejess
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readlikejess.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith

Post by readlikejess »

I have no issue whatsoever or hate against the LGBTQ+ community, but the fact that it’s getting the recognition it deserves is heartwarming. The fact that everyone is accepting everyone means that we have hope to be united as human. The graphic representation of LGBTQ+ in novels, comics, movies, whatsoever, should be really thought out and understanding and meaningful to the people belonging to the LGBTQ+, and also telling their stories to people who haven’t been fully accepting their gender roles.
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

The LGBTQ+ community has long been craving this recognition and acceptance, and I believe now is the time to make justice a reality. Now is the time to give them the freedom that they have been longing for. Everyone deserves to be loved and respected, as so as this community. Reading a book that contains the presence of LGBTQ people makes no difference from the normal books/stories that I’ve read. It’s always the storyline, the characterization, and the moral of the novel. Let’s all end the stigma of hating this community because they are just humans living in this unparallel world. Instead, let's open our hearts to accept and love them. Writing a book that contains the LGBTQ+ community’s precedence for me is an alley to reinforce, permeate and promote their existence and I firmly agree with this.
Jahana-luv

Post by Jahana-luv »

I think that LGBT books are a very good/open way of expressing yourself. Personally As part of the LGBT community (L) I think that they put a lot of detail and passion into their books/novels/Mangas etcéteras. LGBT books make me feel safe and understood and that can count for anyone else as well which is a very good thing for out generation.

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”