Official Review: Just Say "$%#&! NO!"

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Official Review: Just Say "$%#&! NO!"

Post by Twylla »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Just Say "$%#&! NO!"" by Heather and Karen Tobin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Just say “$%#&! No!" by Heather and Karen Tobin is a humorous book of poetry and cartoon illustrations that encourages us to say “no” and set limits when others are asking too much of us too often. Charlotte, our cartoon guide, teaches us how to say “no” politely with confidence and kindness. There are 25 illustrations in this 33-page book. The text is a poem written in a rhyme scheme of ABCB, where the second line (B) and fourth line (B) rhymes.

The book opens with a very stressed Charlotte. The first five illustrations along with the first five stanzas of the poem show Charlotte doing too many things for too many people. These five stanzas describe pushy people who ask for too many favors, unwelcome invitations, high-maintenance friends and neighbors, and requests for money. The remaining illustrations and 14 stanzas show Charlotte setting boundaries to reclaim her time, and as a result, a more peaceful state of mind.

My favorite thing about the book is the illustrations. Charlotte, our cartoon guide, and her poodle are so cute and whimsical. The illustrations and the text work inextricably together to tell a story that neither one could tell by themselves.

“No” is a powerful word. It prevents people from taking up your valuable time. It is also powerful because it has the potential to disappoint and hurt other people. From the time we are children, little girls are taught to be accommodating. We are encouraged to help a neighbor, do volunteer work for the community, and support other family members. The message of this book is also a powerful one. The word "no" can be one of the most positive words in your vocabulary. Saying “no” frees you up to do all of the things you would rather or need to be doing.

I reviewed the ebook version. I never could view the ebook on my Windows 10 desktop, but I could view it successfully on my Samsung Android tablet. The book is only for sale in a print format, so that may not be a concern. I am assuming the ebook was provided for convenience. But that was the only negative thing I had to report about the book.

This is a fun book that reminds us that it is ok to say “no” with kindness and confidence without feeling guilty. I am giving this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. This book is well written and professionally edited. I found a couple of minor typos, but only because I was looking for them. I would recommend this book to anyone who feels stressed about being pulled in too many directions.

Just Say "$%#&! NO!"
View: on Bookshelves
CatC
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by CatC »

I love this it tells me if the book is right for someone else I would be buying it for.
book_fanatic_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-fanatic.html
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato

Post by book_fanatic_ »

Seems like an amusing book of poetry. Would give it a try. Great review.
She read books as one would breathe air, to fill up and live. - Annie Dillard
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato
Julyet_Chris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julyet-chris.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger

Post by Julyet_Chris »

An amazing review, The book would be surely entertaining and very educative to people who are overly nice and do not know how or when to say No.
Chimdi_3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimdi-3.html
Latest Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland

Post by Chimdi_3 »

This book is for me. Its very ok to say no sometimes and not have to deal with guilty feeling.The review is very detailed.Thank you.
Vicky-kooro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Vicky-kooro »

My favorite thing about the book is the illustration and the text. Nice review
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by khaulah »

I could use the book to learn how to say no. I like the style of the book. The illustrations would be helpful for the reader!
Usuma Khan
Currently Reading: Hands Across The Sea
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Usuma Khan »

Was looking for something to take a break from novels. Looks like I found one. The right book for someone like me who can't refuse anyone. Appreciate the review.🌸

“There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island.”
-Walt Disney
_Lindsey_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey.html
Latest Review: The Curl by Raymond George Ward

Post by _Lindsey_ »

This sounds like a really charming book with an excellent message.
Prince Chime
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-chime.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Prince Chime »

I think more of the great lesson not taught to us is saying 'No' and not feeling bad about it. I have been in this trap of not saying no. Thanks for the review. I should add this to my library.
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
:)
sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: Embracing Defeat
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: PRAGUE: Darkness Descending by Robert Tecklenburg

Post by sirbobthewise »

What a creative way to discuss and encourage creating healthy boundaries. While being able to say “no” is a huge part of boundaries, they also beautifully allow us to show others how we want/need to be treated and expect to be treated (and the flip-side of what will not be accepted as proper treatment). It’s highly empowering and creates so much more room for healthier relationships and joy. Sounds like a book that I would definitely enjoy and probably learn from. Thanks for your review!
Teddyquam
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teddyquam.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Teddyquam »

How cute! Its like a children's book for adults. Another one for the reading list.
Do you ever feel like you spend too much time reading? Yeah. Me neither. :lol:
:reading-4:
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Samgum50 »

Great review! This is such a uniquely written book. I like the idea of the different reasons for saying no, plus it's also a light read
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

Sometimes, saying NO is the best thing we can do for our sanity and mental health.
Ebby Brown
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebby-brown.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Ebby Brown »

Saying 'No' helps us control the extent to which people can disturb our peace of mind. This book is amazing with all the easy illustrations. :tiphat:

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”