Official Review: The Billionaires’ Handbook

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Re: Official Review: The Billionaires’ Handbook

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Great review. The book's target audience seems rather narrow though; people interested in economics and Americans. I suppose anyone can read it, but these two groups would appreciate it most.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Dentarthurdent wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 12:11 Great review. The book's target audience seems rather narrow though; people interested in economics and Americans. I suppose anyone can read it, but these two groups would appreciate it most.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. The book uses very accessible language and engaging illustrations. Every working adult would understand its messages, even while it uses American examples.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Miriam Molina wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 14:38
Dentarthurdent wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 12:11 Great review. The book's target audience seems rather narrow though; people interested in economics and Americans. I suppose anyone can read it, but these two groups would appreciate it most.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. The book uses very accessible language and engaging illustrations. Every working adult would understand its messages, even while it uses American examples.
Thanks for the clarification.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Awesome review Miriam! I definitely want to read this now. I like that it is dead serious but still delivered as a satire. Thanks for sharing.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I definitely wouldn't have picked this up at first glance, but knowing it's satire changes things. Cynicism is probably the best way to describe our current world economy so being able to laugh about it even a little is a good thing.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Nisha Ward wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 00:50 I definitely wouldn't have picked this up at first glance, but knowing it's satire changes things. Cynicism is probably the best way to describe our current world economy so being able to laugh about it even a little is a good thing.
The rules are funny. But later you'll realize they're not. Read 'em and weep.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

With the rate at which the gap between the rich and poor widens daily, there will come a time that staying in the middle class will be one hell of a difficult task: trying so hard to be rich, and with every means necessary, not becoming poor.
I'd really like to get a hold of this fascinating book. Your review has also piqued my interest in it. Well done!
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This sounds like an extremely interesting and relevant book. I like that the author managed to approach the subject with satire, because few would probably have made it through the book if it was delivered lecture-style. Great review!
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I'm certainly no billionaire, but I might pick it up if I see it on offer. I love your reviews; no matter the theme, they crack me up. Love your wit. Never lose it!
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

I have such a love-hate relationship with these sorts of books! I love satire, but only when it's nuanced and self-aware - and not bashing up other people without self-reflection (s that hypocritical of me to say? Am I doing the same thing?). I enjoy being informed about the world of money and all the underhanded activities that go in there, but I resent the implication that rich people are crooks or that "rich people" are a single undifferentiated category. I'm not sure if the author did that, though! And maybe it's me who has to be more objective in my understanding of the world. Maybe I'm just making assumptions. Thank you for your review, Miriam! I really like your reviews, they're always so crisp and thorough!
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Jaime Lync wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 21:24 Awesome review Miriam! I definitely want to read this now. I like that it is dead serious but still delivered as a satire. Thanks for sharing.
Hey, brother. Glad to have you here. Thanks for stopping by. Do share what you think about the book after you read it.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

T_stone wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 01:10 With the rate at which the gap between the rich and poor widens daily, there will come a time that staying in the middle class will be one hell of a difficult task: trying so hard to be rich, and with every means necessary, not becoming poor.
I'd really like to get a hold of this fascinating book. Your review has also piqued my interest in it. Well done!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I do wonder if I am still in the middle class. If ever, I'm hanging by a thread.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

:tiphat:
unamilagra wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 22:56 This sounds like an extremely interesting and relevant book. I like that the author managed to approach the subject with satire, because few would probably have made it through the book if it was delivered lecture-style. Great review!
I'm sure he thought long and hard about how to do it right. Thanks for stopping by.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

kislany wrote: 22 Apr 2019, 14:14 I'm certainly no billionaire, but I might pick it up if I see it on offer. I love your reviews; no matter the theme, they crack me up. Love your wit. Never lose it!
We kindred spirits - Alice, you and I - will be neighbors in Cyprus once the property issue is resolved. See you!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

nooregano wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 13:54 I have such a love-hate relationship with these sorts of books! I love satire, but only when it's nuanced and self-aware - and not bashing up other people without self-reflection (s that hypocritical of me to say? Am I doing the same thing?). I enjoy being informed about the world of money and all the underhanded activities that go in there, but I resent the implication that rich people are crooks or that "rich people" are a single undifferentiated category. I'm not sure if the author did that, though! And maybe it's me who has to be more objective in my understanding of the world. Maybe I'm just making assumptions. Thank you for your review, Miriam! I really like your reviews, they're always so crisp and thorough!
Thanks for sharing your innermost sentiments. We billionaires are misunderstood. But we can take it.

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”