Review of Along Came Spider - The Making of a Superhero

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rishaunda Lynnette Britton
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishaunda-lynnette-britton.html
Latest Review: Compline by Karyn M. Bruce

Review of Along Came Spider - The Making of a Superhero

Post by Rishaunda Lynnette Britton »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Along Came Spider - The Making of a Superhero" by Michele L. Sayre.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

For a long time now, Chuck and Elroy have been going about causing troubles and inconveniencing fellow children and schoolmates. They have been careful with their nefarious activities; they leave no traces, which makes it difficult for their victims to prove claims of personal injuries. Well, things take surprising turns when Chuck and Elroy bully Lacey, a blind young girl, taking away her walking cane. As it turns out, she is Spider Monroe's best friend, and this boy possesses an exceptional ability. But then, will Spider stand up for his friend and get justice for her—and, by extension, for other victims of Chuck and Elroy's bullying? And if he attempts that, will he succeed?

Along Came Spider—The Making of a Superhero is a children's comic or graphic story written by Michele L. Sayre. One of the most remarkable contributions of this story is its discussion of bullying, the behavioral traits of the perpetrators, the fate of the victims, and the worthy action of standing up against it. These were extensively discussed: the activities of Chuck and Elroy were thoroughly exposed, and the efforts of Major Williams, Rocky Woods, Spider Monroe, and the school management are illustrative of the need to fight against bullying in all its forms.

The story also projects wonderful values children need to cultivate as they grow up. For example, there is a strong point about the need to be courageous even in the face of adversity and face our challenges head-on, for it's in such situations that we may begin to realize just how amazingly gifted and able we are. That is to say, being fearful and running away from challenges may never provide us with any solution, and we may never get the opportunities to learn, grow, and reinvent ourselves; worse still, we embolden the adversary when we recoil.

Spider and Lacey demonstrate what true friendship and devotion truly mean, and I really liked the way they proved themselves through thick and thin. The story was well-illustrated—an incredibly great piece of art from Alexander "AP" Perez—and had a satisfying end. I couldn't wish for more, as all the thematic preoccupations were conclusively explored to provide children with valuable insights about life and living. For these reasons, I rate Along Came Spider—The Making of a Superhero five out of five stars and recommend it to readers between the ages of four and nine.

I have a little suggestion to make, and that's the need to fix the three grammatical errors I found in this book in a subsequent edition.

Along Came Spider - The Making of a Superhero
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nwachukwu Somto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwachukwu-somto.html
Latest Review: Giving Birth to Hope by Yvonne Frank Moore, MD

Post by Nwachukwu Somto »

Your review nicely highlights the important themes of bullying, courage, friendship, and standing up for what is right that are depicted in the story. It's clear that the book does a great job of addressing the issue of bullying and its impact on both the victims and the perpetrators.
Julius Peters
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius-peters.html
Latest Review: Quando Dormo by Edward Izzi

Post by Julius Peters »

I agree that 'Along Came Spider' is a must-read for young readers. It's not only entertaining but also educational, instilling important values like empathy, kindness, and bravery.
Leona Rodrigues
Currently Reading: Beyond the veil
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leona-rodrigues.html
Latest Review: Digging for God by Tom Hillman
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Leona Rodrigues »

Rishaunda Lynnette Britton wrote: 31 May 2024, 06:37 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Along Came Spider - The Making of a Superhero" by Michele L. Sayre.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

For a long time now, Chuck and Elroy have been going about causing troubles and inconveniencing fellow children and schoolmates. They have been careful with their nefarious activities; they leave no traces, which makes it difficult for their victims to prove claims of personal injuries. Well, things take surprising turns when Chuck and Elroy bully Lacey, a blind young girl, taking away her walking cane. As it turns out, she is Spider Monroe's best friend, and this boy possesses an exceptional ability. But then, will Spider stand up for his friend and get justice for her—and, by extension, for other victims of Chuck and Elroy's bullying? And if he attempts that, will he succeed?

Along Came Spider—The Making of a Superhero is a children's comic or graphic story written by Michele L. Sayre. One of the most remarkable contributions of this story is its discussion of bullying, the behavioral traits of the perpetrators, the fate of the victims, and the worthy action of standing up against it. These were extensively discussed: the activities of Chuck and Elroy were thoroughly exposed, and the efforts of Major Williams, Rocky Woods, Spider Monroe, and the school management are illustrative of the need to fight against bullying in all its forms.

The story also projects wonderful values children need to cultivate as they grow up. For example, there is a strong point about the need to be courageous even in the face of adversity and face our challenges head-on, for it's in such situations that we may begin to realize just how amazingly gifted and able we are. That is to say, being fearful and running away from challenges may never provide us with any solution, and we may never get the opportunities to learn, grow, and reinvent ourselves; worse still, we embolden the adversary when we recoil.

Spider and Lacey demonstrate what true friendship and devotion truly mean, and I really liked the way they proved themselves through thick and thin. The story was well-illustrated—an incredibly great piece of art from Alexander "AP" Perez—and had a satisfying end. I couldn't wish for more, as all the thematic preoccupations were conclusively explored to provide children with valuable insights about life and living. For these reasons, I rate Along Came Spider—The Making of a Superhero five out of five stars and recommend it to readers between the ages of four and nine.

I have a little suggestion to make, and that's the need to fix the three grammatical errors I found in this book in a subsequent edition.

Along Came Spider - The Making of a Superhero
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The review is beautifully written, highlighting all the positives and negatives in detail! I am consider reading this piece in the future as the book sounds interesting!
You may not be the center of the entire world, but you are the center of your own world.

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”