Veterans

Discuss the April Book of the Month Shot Down by Steve Snyder.
LarkSpur25
Currently Reading: Keeper of the Heart
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larkspur25.html

Re: Veterans

Post by LarkSpur25 »

I just wanted to say a thank you to both my husband and father. They are both Combat veterans and I am proud to call myself a veterans wife and a veterans daughter. I am who I am today because of my father and my life wouldn't be complete without my husband.

Thank you to all veterans, those still living and those who did not survive. None of you are forgotten.
afrakes
Currently Reading: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afrakes.html

Post by afrakes »

Thank you, hsimone, for your thoughtful post! My dad is retired Army pilot and my brother just graduated Ranger school. It was timely to stumble upon your post after Memorial Day and nearing the Fourth of July. I'm always thankful for the sacrifices our service members have made and for those who continue to serve. Finding books on the subject of military affairs can be difficult sometimes for those who are dealing with the loss of battle buddies or family members KIA. Looking forward to reading more reviews on this month's book to see how it balances the truth with the hardship.
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

My best friend and her husband are both veterans. They were in the air force for several years until the birth of their son.

My grandfather and some uncles serves as well, I actually had the honor of speaking to some of the men pap serves in WWII with which was amazing.

We have so much to thank them for, but do we do enough for the men and women who protect our freedom?
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
thisisfinal213
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thisisfinal213.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by thisisfinal213 »

a community for older people for awhile, so I got a chance to work with a lot of veterans. It was really admirable how much pride they all had in Great America.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I have never had the opportunity to meet a war veteran, however, I do recognize their contribution in keeping my country safe. They endure brutal situations which are mentally and physically exhausting, yet they protect the country with utmost dedication. I salute them for their bravery.
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

I had an Uncle who served underage in the WWI: thankfully he came home. He always had a black and white photograph in his home of a wartime scene, bombs going off and angels flying above the ground waiting to receive soldiers who died. He always told stories of crossing no-mans-land by walking across with his hands in his pockets whistling instead of running through the very dangerous place. The idea of thanking fighting men and women or first responders was not thought of until later. They just did their duty. Being aware of how much it means to veterans to know that their sacrifice is appreciated is a really good thing. But better still when we find a better way than war, surely not beyond the great minds of our time? I think making targets of the leaders of war is one good way of stopping it. As Reagan did with Gadaffi. Most leaders of today's wars, have other people lead. And would quickly stop fighting if it became about them.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

Veterans are certainly an important part of our lives. It is also sad to see how many young people treat veterans with disrespect. I think society, in general, must do much more for veterans, as they have risked their lives to keep citizens safe.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

ashley_claire wrote: 11 Apr 2016, 09:00 I have several members of my family that are veterans, including my husband who is still currently serving. He was deployed most of last year and we're just thankful to all be under the same roof again (for the most part).
That is wonderful to hear and it truly reminds us of how much veterans offer to the community, even though they do not receive enough credit for it.
yapashley
Currently Reading: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yapashley.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by yapashley »

My grandfather died. He wasn't able to share any stories about the wars he's experienced before he passed away. But I want to say thank you to those who risked their lives to serve humanity.
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

I do not preside in the US. We have quite a lot of celebrated Veterans and martyrs. Their bravery and courage must be appreciated as they are the reason we sleep soundly at night.
Cyrus Michino
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyrus-michino.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Cyrus Michino »

MatthewAlexander wrote: 07 Apr 2016, 11:39 I worked at a community for older people for awhile, so I got to work for and with a lot of veterans. It was admirable how much pride they all had in America. We did a BBQ for memorial and so many showed up in pieces of their old uniform, and what amazed me is that they were thanking us for working on a holiday, when we should have been thanking them for what they did for the country.
This is encouraging. Their bravery and pride in their country is worth-while.
Cyrus Michino
Currently Reading:

Post by Cyrus Michino »

A few years ago I met a group of disabled veterans who lost parts of their body during war. In spite of their condition, their radiant faces and smiles brought people to tears when they sang "Blessed Assurance".
Cyrus Michino
Currently Reading:

Post by Cyrus Michino »

ashley_claire wrote: 11 Apr 2016, 09:00 I have several members of my family that are veterans, including my husband who is still currently serving. He was deployed most of last year and we're just thankful to all be under the same roof again (for the most part).
He is a brave man. You have a hero of a husband.
Cyrus Michino
Currently Reading:

Post by Cyrus Michino »

Reader-247 wrote: 20 Jul 2020, 06:13 I do not preside in the US. We have quite a lot of celebrated Veterans and martyrs. Their bravery and courage must be appreciated as they are the reason we sleep soundly at night.
Despite the different countries we all live in, there are veterans who sacrifice their lives to serve humanity. That is something we should be proud of.
Cyrus Michino
Currently Reading:

Post by Cyrus Michino »

yapashley wrote: 06 Jul 2020, 19:16 My grandfather died. He wasn't able to share any stories about the wars he's experienced before he passed away. But I want to say thank you to those who risked their lives to serve humanity.
He died a hero. He will be celebrated for a very long time as man to risked his life to serve his country.

Return to “"Shot Down" by Steve Snyder”