Veterans

Discuss the April Book of the Month Shot Down by Steve Snyder.
Mune
Currently Reading: Revival
Bookshelf Size: 963
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mune.html
Latest Review: "The Silent Shadow" by Patrick Clarke
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Veterans

Post by Mune »

My maternal grandfather is a Vietnam veteran. He was in the Navy. During one of their deployments, all but three members of his squad, including himself were killed when their ship was bombed and a fire broke out. My grandfather has the scars and his memories of that. His son is a veteran of the Gulf War. My paternal great-grandfather was in World War II. His father before him and the one before him were all active military men. One of them was part of a squadron that they made a movie or tv miniseries about. His squadron left California and were shot down. They all died. He was stuck back in California due to a training injury. I also have papers from one of the men in that line that was on horse back infantry in the Civil War.
Latest Review: "The Silent Shadow" by Patrick Clarke
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

Mune wrote:My maternal grandfather is a Vietnam veteran. He was in the Navy. During one of their deployments, all but three members of his squad, including himself were killed when their ship was bombed and a fire broke out. My grandfather has the scars and his memories of that. His son is a veteran of the Gulf War. My paternal great-grandfather was in World War II. His father before him and the one before him were all active military men. One of them was part of a squadron that they made a movie or tv miniseries about. His squadron left California and were shot down. They all died. He was stuck back in California due to a training injury. I also have papers from one of the men in that line that was on horse back infantry in the Civil War.
What an impressive pedigree of service you come from! A sincere and hearty 'THANK YOU' to all those brave me.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

My father is a Vietnam veteran. He went through awful conditions, nearly died from malaria (which in the end saved his life as his whole group was killed shortly after he was taken to the hospital). When he returned to the states he was treated like a criminal and booed by the crowd as he arrived. :(
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

I have been very fortunate to have the opportunity to not only work with Veterans at a local Veterans Hospital, but to also be married to one. He has been enlisted for over 13 years and we are very close to our military family. For many who do not have the privilege to know a veteran, it is hard to understand what sacrifices these men and women make daily for our country and the love they have for one another.
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Thanks to all forum users.
Veda
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veda.html
Latest Review: "Antique Mirror" by D.F.Jones

Post by Veda »

my uncle is a captain in the Indian navy and the last time I went to India , he took me to veterans camp and what one wounded soldier told me really stuck with me. He stated that while you are serving in the army or navy if you cannot come out of the service alive and in good health, the next best thing is death.

Listening to their stories made me truly appreciate the sacrifices they do for the country they serve.
Latest Review: "Antique Mirror" by D.F.Jones
HalcyonFlower
Currently Reading: Hearts In Atlantis
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-halcyonflower.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Publishing Contest Votes: 2

Post by HalcyonFlower »

I really appreciate what our army (being from Canada) does for our country as well as others. Unfortunately, I hear more about the unfortunate fates of many veterans than I do good stories. It's really upsetting, especially with the kind of training they undergo and the horrors they face.
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

Many members of my family were or are veterans. I am so proud of them all!! And so grateful for their sacrifice!
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
grace-grace13
Currently Reading: Why not me?
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-grace13.html

Post by grace-grace13 »

My family has always had this sense of duty toward their country. My mother was in the Navy, my father is in the Navy, my brother was in the Navy, and my Grandfather was in the Navy. We really love the Navy. Growing up with a father in the military was difficult because people who do not appreciate veterans are abound and when those people are your friends it can be difficult not to argue with them. I appreciate all that my father has done for this country, because being in the military is not just about war, it is about humanitarian missions as well. My father has done more humanitarian work in the military than he has anything else. I am grateful for my family and their contribution to this country.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

MsMartha wrote:
hsimone wrote: Thank you for sharing. I agree it would be nice if all countries can work together in a positive way to avoid wars. There's so much more to life than fighting, anger, and/or fear. This is a definite good point to bring up, thank you, MsMartha!
And thank you for starting this conversation--this book has been an excellent experience!

Thanks for all the postings in the forums :techie-studyingbrown:
Rhoe_Marrow
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhoe-marrow.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Rhoe_Marrow »

I don't believe I know a war veteran. Atleast not on a personal level, but, I do believe they should be respected for the risks they have taken for their country. War effects them and their families in ways that we as civilians cannot understand.
babika1962
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-babika1962.html
Latest Review: "Eros of the Senses" by Ada Ardor

Post by babika1962 »

When I was in grade school, I remember learning the poem, In Flanders Field and while I understood what the poem was about, it didn't really hit a chord with me until high school when we had to help organize some Veteran's Day events. I remember thinking how old all of the veterans looked. We lived in a farming community that was surrounded by several smaller towns and most of the veterans were those who had fought in WWI and WWII. Nowadays, veterans come in all different shapes, sizes and both sexes. What remains the same is the pride with which they served and thanks to the media coverage we have today, we see some of what our veterans have seen and had to go through which brings with it a greater understanding and appreciation for their efforts.
Latest Review: "Eros of the Senses" by Ada Ardor
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

Most of the veterans I have met have been through work or volunteering. I volunteered at a retirement home throughout all my four years of high school and I met plenty of veterans there and they had the most interesting and terrifying stories. I also worked at a VA hospital for 3 years when I was in college. After working and volunteering and meeting the veterans, I will never forget or take for granted their sacrifice and loyalty.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

CrescentMoon wrote:Most of the veterans I have met have been through work or volunteering. I volunteered at a retirement home throughout all my four years of high school and I met plenty of veterans there and they had the most interesting and terrifying stories. I also worked at a VA hospital for 3 years when I was in college. After working and volunteering and meeting the veterans, I will never forget or take for granted their sacrifice and loyalty.
What rewarding work! I bet you got to meet some of the neatest people. I'm glad your experience left you with a sense of gratitude and appreciation.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
Brittster
Currently Reading: Inkheart
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittster.html
Latest Review: "Trankarri" by Christopher Dean
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Brittster »

Both of my parents were in the military. My dad specifically was actually out their flying through wars. I am so thankful that both my parents joined the military and contributed to protecting their country. I am also thankful that they got out when I was still extremely young. My dad has told me it is so weird that I have no experience with having him gone for months at a time but its all my older sisters knew before their mom and my dad were divorced. I am a teacher and I have a student who is frequently distraught about her mom always being gone. No she has recently had to have surgery and was in another country. Imagine the worry and not being able to be with your mom and know what is going on. She is just a little girl.

The sacrifice these brave people make is astounding and they deserve the highest respect.

-- 07 May 2016, 16:57 --
babika1962 wrote:When I was in grade school, I remember learning the poem, In Flanders Field and while I understood what the poem was about, it didn't really hit a chord with me until high school when we had to help organize some Veteran's Day events. I remember thinking how old all of the veterans looked. We lived in a farming community that was surrounded by several smaller towns and most of the veterans were those who had fought in WWI and WWII. Nowadays, veterans come in all different shapes, sizes and both sexes. What remains the same is the pride with which they served and thanks to the media coverage we have today, we see some of what our veterans have seen and had to go through which brings with it a greater understanding and appreciation for their efforts.
The title In Flanders Field sounded familiar so I decided to go look it up after reading your post. It is such a beautiful poem but sad. It serves as a great reminder to always be grateful to those who gave and their lives and encourage those who haven't.
Latest Review: "Trankarri" by Christopher Dean

Return to “"Shot Down" by Steve Snyder”