The Family

Discuss the April Book of the Month Shot Down by Steve Snyder.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

The Family

Post by Heidi M Simone »

When men fought in wars, their families (wives, children, significant others, parents, etc.) would be left behind waiting to hear any piece of information to ensure their man's safety.

How would you compare the bravery/strength of the people left behind to those who went into war? Who do you think has to be stronger? Do both sides have to be strong? Maybe different types of strengths?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

That's true. I think it's hard to compare, like apples and oranges.

It's also incredible how much, in the war in the book, the entire nations would contribute to the war effort through labor and volunteer groups.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

It is hard to compare, but I think it takes strength to be left behind on a different level. It seems silly to say, but when my husband has to leave for a week or so for work, it leaves me with discomfort and sadness. However, I know he is safe. Thinking about the women and significant others left behind for so long must have been extremely hard - mentally and emotionally. It is especially difficult if they don't receive a letter from their significant others for a while always wondering if they are alive. Then, the ones who have children always questioning where daddy is can't be easy on their mothers to explain where he is since she might not even know herself.

You raise a good point about those who helped the war effort through labor and volunteer groups. It's amazing and wonderful to hear how people pull together in a time of need.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

I agree that they display two different types of bravery. The men going off to war were risking their lives and never seeing their loved ones again, which I'm sure was a difficult decision and hard to commit to. And the family members had to go about their day to day lives not knowing the fate of their husbands, lovers, sons, or brothers. Reading through this book I realized how awful that uncertainty would be, I don't think I could handle it as well as they all seemed to.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Having been on both sides of the issue, I would say that it's a different kind of strength for service members and their families. I think that it's ultimately harder for the service member, but he/she is dealing with being separated from loved ones in addition to the possibility of being physically harmed or even killed. However, all of the worry that goes with having a loved one fighting in a war can take a huge mental toll on spouses, children, and other family members. It's hard all around, really, and there's really no comparing the two.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I agree with you all. I think both were brave, and each contributed his part to the war effort.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

It really is so hard to compare the two because they're in two totally different categories of "brave". On the one hand is the bravery of walking into almost certain death in order to defend what you believe in. On the other hand is the bravery of going about your daily life not knowing if your loved one is alive and safe at that very moment. Or perhaps knowing for a fact that they aren't.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

It is so true that it's comparing apples and oranges. I do think the service members in combat have to be incredibly courageous and deal with very dangerous conditions. Hands down, they have to make split-second life and death decisions as compared with the family members on the homefront.

I don't want to downplay what the spouses have to deal with. Certainly, the spouses have to live with the fear that their loved ones won't come home and the not knowing what's going on. This was even harder for them before the age of advanced technology where the service members can Skype or communicate more frequently with their loved ones. Years ago, spouses were often thrown into an unfamiliar environment at a young age, living basically alone or with young children at an isolated base far from extended family. They would have to wait for snail mail letters to find out if their loved one was okay. The example of Howard's wife living in a remote place in Texas shows what the spouses have to deal with - young, raising your first baby alone, being in the middle of nowhere.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Bravery is so very important thank God for those who serve in the military.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

I can't imagine having my husband go away to war, but while that would be extremely difficult for me, he would be the one in much more difficult position. Of course things were different back then like bookowlie mentioned.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

As a military wife, I think being part of a military family takes a different kind of strength compared to being active duty. My husband and I have both discussed how different life would be if our roles were switched: I could NEVER do his job and endure what he does while he admits that he could NEVER be left behind to do what I do when he is gone. Both sides have to be strong and rely on each other to be successful in the military life.
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline
Veda
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veda.html
Latest Review: "Antique Mirror" by D.F.Jones

Post by Veda »

lmoses wrote:As a military wife, I think being part of a military family takes a different kind of strength compared to being active duty. My husband and I have both discussed how different life would be if our roles were switched: I could NEVER do his job and endure what he does while he admits that he could NEVER be left behind to do what I do when he is gone. Both sides have to be strong and rely on each other to be successful in the military life.
I can totally relate as my Uncle is in the Indian Navy and sometimes he will be gone for months and we would have no way to contact him. When I was younger and living in India, our whole family had a huge house and my immediate family and extended family all lived together as a "joint family". Sometimes due to weather conditions, they would not have made it back to port on the day they are supposed to and even if my uncle was 1 day late and not called from camp to tell us he is on his way home, the tension and worry would escalate at our house.

We have some members of the family who accept my uncle's role in the Indian Navy and some who don't. I have had many conversations with him and support and understand the choices he has made and am proud of him for it. I find it is a little easier to cope when you understand their motivations and reasoning.
Latest Review: "Antique Mirror" by D.F.Jones
grace-grace13
Currently Reading: Why not me?
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-grace13.html

Post by grace-grace13 »

It is not easy to compare the horrors of war to the horrors of the home front of military families. Both sides have to be brave and strong but in different ways. Soldiers have to deal with less than ideal conditions and scarring realties of war, while families have to get by without their loved one(s) and wait to hear if there family member is okay. I am from a military family and there is a ton of stress but on the family when a loved one is gone. Tensions run high and relationships suffer when a family member is gone. However, the family members of soldiers are some of the strongest people you will ever meet.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

This is a hard question. It is really hard to compare the things these two people have to go through because they have to deal with such different things. Going to war and knowing that everyday there is a possibility you may lose your life or be horribly injured takes a lot of strength and bravery. However, I can't imagine the fear and worry and constant concern of the family members left behind. Everyday they must be worried sick just waiting if their loved ones will come back home in one piece or not. I don't know if I can definitively say who has it worse but one thing for sure is that both sides definitely have to be strong.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Metka
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 80">Mutant Message Down Under</a>
Currently Reading: Forever in your Embrace
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-metka.html

Post by Metka »

Yes, both sides had to be strong. The ones who left and their relatives. The II. world war was terrible. So many people lost contact with their relatives and friends. So many were hiding... The chaos separated people, but those that survived found their way back to normal life. Off course, If they could. Some were left with huge scars of war. That can last a lifetime. And their families also. They did not even know if their loved ones were alive.. It's hard to imagine the horrible things they had to experience... My grandparents told me a lot about those times. Definitely, they all had to be as strong as possible.

Return to “"Shot Down" by Steve Snyder”