The Resistance

Discuss the April Book of the Month Shot Down by Steve Snyder.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

The Resistance

Post by Heidi M Simone »

During WWII, there was a group called The Resistance. These brave people helped Howard, Steve's dad, and others to safety. Sometimes the men had to bounce from house to house, never staying in one place for too long.

Speak about their bravery. If you were there during this time, would be a part of The Resistance? Explain why or why not.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

Their actions took incredible bravery, they knew the risks that harboring the airmen would bring but did it anyway. It's heartbreaking that such bravery and sacrifice ended up in them losing their homes or even their lives.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I'd like to think that I would have had the courage to join the Resistance, had I been in that situation. The Nazis were ruthless, and they killed people for far less than aiding their enemies, so I may have thought "why not?" Better to die fighting than submit to being kicked to death!

I have tremendous respect for those brave civilians who put their lives on the line to aid Allied servicemen and hinder German soldiers as much as possible. There were also those who helped Jews and other "undesirables" evade capture by the Germans, and although this book did not focus on that aspect of the Resistance, we mustn't forget their efforts, either. During a time of unspeakable evil, all of these brave men and women were lights shining in the darkness.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

LivreAmour217 wrote:I'd like to think that I would have had the courage to join the Resistance, had I been in that situation. The Nazis were ruthless, and they killed people for far less than aiding their enemies, so I may have thought "why not?" Better to die fighting than submit to being kicked to death!

I have tremendous respect for those brave civilians who put their lives on the line to aid Allied servicemen and hinder German soldiers as much as possible. There were also those who helped Jews and other "undesirables" evade capture by the Germans, and although this book did not focus on that aspect of the Resistance, we mustn't forget their efforts, either. During a time of unspeakable evil, all of these brave men and women were lights shining in the darkness.
Ditto!

I would also like to think that I would have had the courage to join the Resistance, as it was the right and moral thing to do.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

I like to think that I would have had the courage to join the Resistance, but who can say for sure? I can't even imagine how terrifying it must have been knowing that you were doing something you could lose your life over. It is absolutely incredible that so many people were willing to join the Resistance, even knowing the risk it posed to themselves and their families. I cannot fathom how much courage it must have taken to be able to do something like that when you have no idea who to trust and have to pretend that you are for something you are not. Your own neighbour might turn you in to the authorities! I think that WWII in general showed the most extremes in human nature. That mankind has the potential for great cruelty, but also great compassion and courage.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
Nitya
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nitya.html

Post by Nitya »

Sitting in the comforts of my home and having the privilege of living in the free country of the United States of America, I think, or would like to think for that matter, that I would unquestionably take a stand against the evil plaguing my fellow citizens. This scenario may not be too different from most who are faced with such a question, however one must remember that this conclusion was made in a world so far away. Though I may strive to see the world from their shoes, it is impossible to experience the same amount of pressure and temptation to take the easy way out. Living in the 21st century without the same level of turmoil, I have not been tested and challenged in the same way that those boys have. It is easy to claim that we are all brave but we cannot truly know what our values really are until we are faced with that very decision in person. We would be surprised at what we are capable of or incapable of when put in such a time of desperation. For it is during times like this that human selfishness becomes stronger than the values we are taught.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Nitya wrote:Sitting in the comforts of my home and having the privilege of living in the free country of the United States of America, I think, or would like to think for that matter, that I would unquestionably take a stand against the evil plaguing my fellow citizens. This scenario may not be too different from most who are faced with such a question, however one must remember that this conclusion was made in a world so far away. Though I may strive to see the world from their shoes, it is impossible to experience the same amount of pressure and temptation to take the easy way out. Living in the 21st century without the same level of turmoil, I have not been tested and challenged in the same way that those boys have. It is easy to claim that we are all brave but we cannot truly know what our values really are until we are faced with that very decision in person. We would be surprised at what we are capable of or incapable of when put in such a time of desperation. For it is during times like this that human selfishness becomes stronger than the values we are taught.

I agree with this.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I actually cried while reading about the Resistance. I can't imagine the amount of bravery, sacrifice, and loyalty one would need to put oneself in danger like that to help others. The things they went through in order to help was so touching and heart-warming and I found myself so heartbroken when reading about how some of them died or lost everything.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: Starlight Life by N.C Brightman

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

I've always been interested in this time period of history. I love known from a very young age that I would've been part of the Resistance if I had been born during that time. This has not changed as I've grown older. I would not be able to sit around and watch as innocent people suffered.
thomaslaw3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thomaslaw3.html
Reading Device: B006PLODWE

Post by thomaslaw3 »

The "fifth column" or resistance was an incredibly important part of the allies winning the war. It gave hope to the airmen that were shot down and was a constant bother to the Nazi war machine. We owe a lot to this group. Unfortunately, most of us would have been like to majority of the people who lived then, silent. I'm currently reading "Breaking the Veil of Silence" by Jobst Bittner about modern day (third and fourth generation) Germans seeking reconciliation with Holocaust victims. It makes me wonder how many other "reconciliations" present day generations need to make for their ancestor's guilt. Oppression of slaves is just one that comes to mind. So maybe its not too late for us to join the "resistance".
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I would definitely want to be a part of The Resistance. It takes a lot of courage to do what they did and I solute them for their bravery.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

This is a thought-provoking question. While I do imagine myself to be a part of the Resistance and saving Allied servicemen, whether I would have been able to do so in reality, I can't say. This is because men who were part of the Resistance were brave souls who took a lot of risks to save the war heroes. It takes unimaginable courage to be like them. Hence, until such a situation arises, it's hard to say if I will be spurred to action or remain a silent spectator.
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

I don't feel brave enough at this moment to become a member of the Resistance. I can't imagine living with fear every moment, and of being discovered and being beaten up or shot. But in the heat of battle, when one's hatred of the enemy would be as bitter as aloe, and one's friends were threatened; well that might be different. What a parent would do for a child, is also different to what those same parents would do for themselves. Thanks for the review.
Mary1214
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary1214.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Mary1214 »

What they did and went through took a lot of courage because they knew the consequences they could face and was so tragic that it had cost their homes and lives in some situations.
yapashley
Currently Reading: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yapashley.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by yapashley »

I think I'd presume that I would want to join the Resistance rather than cower in fear. But I would never know until I am in the situation.

Return to “"Shot Down" by Steve Snyder”