Tito's parents

Discuss the March 2016 Eating Bull by Carrie Rubin.

(Note, Carrie Rubin's previous book The Seneca Scourge was book of the month in December 2012. :) )
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Tito's parents

Post by Gravy »

Did you think it was fair of Tito's parents to stop Jeremy coming to see him? Did you agree with their reasoning?
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I thought it was very unfair of them. I didn't agree with their reasoning, and thought they were overprotective of Tito.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I think they had a lot of issues due to their other son's death, so they were hyper-anxious and over-protective about everything. I think their actions were very realistic, even if it was unfair. I feel bad because Tito and Jeremy really bonded.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I actually understood their reasoning, but felt that they were wrong for a few reasons. For one, Jeremy was good for Tito, he didn't want to go along with the Facebook prank. And for another, Jeremy needed some stability, and while that wasn't their responsibility, a lot of kids receive that from someplace outside their own home, and I feel like they could have offered that to him.

But I understand that not all people can care about another person's child. I would like to think that I would act different in their situation.

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Gravy wrote:I actually understood their reasoning, but felt that they were wrong for a few reasons. For one, Jeremy was good for Tito, he didn't want to go along with the Facebook prank. And for another, Jeremy needed some stability, and while that wasn't their responsibility, a lot of kids receive that from someplace outside their own home, and I feel like they could have offered that to him.

But I understand that not all people can care about another person's child. I would like to think that I would act different in their situation.
I agree and feel the same.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
KAV
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kav.html
Latest Review: "Angelica" by Clabe Polk

Post by KAV »

Gravy wrote:I actually understood their reasoning, but felt that they were wrong for a few reasons. For one, Jeremy was good for Tito, he didn't want to go along with the Facebook prank. And for another, Jeremy needed some stability, and while that wasn't their responsibility, a lot of kids receive that from someplace outside their own home, and I feel like they could have offered that to him.

I agree with you. I understand the reasoning, but it sucks that the parents chose to go in this direction. I understand the parents not wanting them to walk home in an unsafe neighborhood, but I don't understand why they wouldn't let Jeremy come over just to hang out. They would have been constantly supervised in a safe environment and both boys still could be friends. Everyone wins.
Latest Review: "Angelica" by Clabe Polk
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

bookowlie wrote:I think they had a lot of issues due to their other son's death, so they were hyper-anxious and over-protective about everything.
I think you're right. My sense is they were in such a bad way themselves that it was just too difficult to try to help Jeremy, although their intentions seemed to be good.
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Momlovesbooks
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

I would like to think, under normal circumstances they would have supported Jeremy and offered him a safe haven in their home. They were dealing with too much fallout from their other son's death. It seems unfair, but they are just being protective of their only son.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I know a lot of parents who are l like that, so I think the characters were very realistic. However, I feel bad for both Jeremy and Tito..
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I can see why Tito's parents felt the way they did about Jeremy. Having the lawsuit bring the spotlight on Jeremy and having the murders being connected to those who are obese would scare the living daylights out of me too. I would obviously be more scared for Jeremy, but if I had a son that was killed before, I probably wouldn't want to take any chances that the same thing could happen to my other son.

I don't think it was fair for Tito and Jeremy to be separated, but I can see their reasoning.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

It's very complicated. Tito's parents were clearly overprotecting Tito. They were clearly unfair towards Jeremy. However, considering their situation, it is impossible to judge.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

hsimone wrote:I can see why Tito's parents felt the way they did about Jeremy. Having the lawsuit bring the spotlight on Jeremy and having the murders being connected to those who are obese would scare the living daylights out of me too. I would obviously be more scared for Jeremy, but if I had a son that was killed before, I probably wouldn't want to take any chances that the same thing could happen to my other son.

I don't think it was fair for Tito and Jeremy to be separated, but I can see their reasoning.
I agree that their overprotection makes sense given their older son was killed. I wouldn't want my already bullied child to be caught up in a friendship with a person in the limelight for controversial reasons. It would make me extremely nervous. On the other hand giving Jeremy and Tito a safe place to be together, like their home, would have been a more reasonable compromise rather than just separating the two.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

bluemel4 wrote:
hsimone wrote:I can see why Tito's parents felt the way they did about Jeremy. Having the lawsuit bring the spotlight on Jeremy and having the murders being connected to those who are obese would scare the living daylights out of me too. I would obviously be more scared for Jeremy, but if I had a son that was killed before, I probably wouldn't want to take any chances that the same thing could happen to my other son.

I agree that their overprotection makes sense given their older son was killed. I wouldn't want my already bullied child to be caught up in a friendship with a person in the limelight for controversial reasons. It would make me extremely nervous. On the other hand giving Jeremy and Tito a safe place to be together, like their home, would have been a more reasonable compromise rather than just separating the two.
I agree! This question seems like such a simple one, but it gives you some food for thought :D
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
MatthewAlexander
Currently Reading: It's Kind of a Funny Story
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matthewalexander.html
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret

Post by MatthewAlexander »

I understand their reasoning, but don't agree with them. After their other son's death, they were very protective of Tito and thought being around Jeremy made him a target. While I can see where they were coming from, they were wrong. They were smothering and sheltering Tito far too much.
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret
V_bansal2912
Favorite Author: Ayn Rand
Favorite Book: Atlas Shrugged
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-bansal2912.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2597

Post by V_bansal2912 »

i don't think stopping Jeremy from meeting Tito was the right way to go, but loss of a child before, will make any parent much more protective than before.

Return to “"Eating Bull" by Carrie Rubin”